Quinton Spain to re-sign with buffalo, 3 yr 15 million

4 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Because Spain didnt get beat a lot in pass protection. 

Yes from what I saw. 

But honestly  he's being swing guard money now and he's a starter so I'm really happy with him  now lol

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree that they believe in him fully, and that they think he'll get a lot better this season. I don't disagree with them!

I also think Beane is a "hedging your bets" type of guy, and that he'll bring in a body at tackle, whether through the draft or free agency. 

The fact that when they were asked about what position Ford would play in his second season, they didn't just say "tackle", but were instead non-committal, tells me that they realize it's not a sure thing he pans out at that position. If they were 100% in on Ford as a tackle, they would have just replied "he's a tackle".

I really think the mantra of this team is positional flexibility. I don’t think they necessarily like to pigeonhole a player to one designated position. You see it all across the oline...every player has flexibility. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think we need a right tackle badly.  Ford is a much better right guard and needs to move inside

It was an up and down year for him...let’s see what an off season of development does for the kid

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think we need a right tackle badly.  Ford is a much better right guard and needs to move inside

I mean, they just retained Spain for three more years, and they still have Feliciano thru this season, so unless they are going to regulate Ford as a backup Guard...

It's entirely possible they slide Ford over and let him learn behind Feliciano, and then let Jon walk, but it seems like they want to keep this line together...

17 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m on the fence for this one. 
He’s an above average player, I’m no pff analyst or huge film watcher but he seemed to have some issues in pass protection but seemed to excel in the run game. I considered him and Ford our weak links in pass pro. As much of a beating as Ford took for getting beat I always wondered why Spain didn’t catch some of the same. But I could of course be wrong I didn’t replay enough stuff to verify 

Not everyone can be an all-pro. He's a solid NFL starter who stays on the field, and this is a pretty cheap deal, relatively speaking. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He’s an above average player, I’m no pff analyst or huge film watcher but he seemed to have some issues in pass protection but seemed to excel in the run game. I considered him and Ford our weak links in pass pro. As much of a beating as Ford took for getting beat I always wondered why Spain didn’t catch some of the same. But I could of course be wrong I didn’t replay enough stuff to verify 

Not sure what you are referring to. Spain gave up 0 sacs in 2019.  Did you see a stat that Spain gave uo a large number of QB pressures?

I really love this.  Dude lets up ZERO sacks.  Other OL love him, esp. Dawkins.  This does not prevent Bean from kicking Ford to guard. Bean and McD will play the best guys.  If an OT falls to us, Ford and the other OG better be ready for competition.  Depth at the OL is very very very important.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Not everyone can be an all-pro. He's a solid NFL starter who stays on the field, and this is a pretty cheap deal, relatively speaking. 

Especially given the huge contract for the Morse and the one coming for Dawkins...  need “solid” guys in the other spots  but can’t pay them all like that 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Far from mostly set.

LT, LG, C, RG(?), RT

I can see RG as the only question, then depth. Sounds like mostly set to me. And yes, like it or not, Ford is our RT. Seems McBeane sees it that way too.

Edit: I wrote, RG as the only question. Let me state, I liked Feliciano at RG and he's only 28. 

Edited by Dopey

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

That's a fair point, but our OL was pretty average overall. I'd be all in favor of another, even bigger signing in the trenches. Unfortunately, there are no very good OT's available in this year's FA class and the top tier of rookie OT's is expected to be gone by the time we draft at 22.

Id like one big upgrade at either RG or RT, given the other 3 spots are clearly set, but consistency is huge on the OL.  

Definitely reason to believe that an average OL, in its first year together, will make a jump in their second year together, along with the rookie RT no longer being a rookie. 

18 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Played 16 games, gave up ZERO sacks. Seems pretty darn good in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

I mean, they just retained Spain for three more years, and they still have Feliciano thru this season, so unless they are going to regulate Ford as a backup Guard...

It's entirely possible they slide Ford over and let him learn behind Feliciano, and then let Jon walk, but it seems like they want to keep this line together...

...why?......certainly acquitted himself well in 2019 and he's only 28...…….

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...why?......certainly acquitted himself well in 2019 and he's only 28...…….

Context is important

If the plan is to make Ford a full time OG, are you going to pay Feliciano after this season and keep Ford as a backup? If so, seems like a gross mismanagement of a second rounder who is primarily going to be a backup interior linemen. I think Feliciano is one of the tone setters along that line. I think they would be better served keeping him entrenched at RG.

So again, the context of what the plan moving forward would be, especially after giving Spain three more years, so hes likely entrenched as the starting LG... 

Edited by BillsFan17
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Context is important

If the plan is to make Ford a full time OG, are you going to pay Feliciano after this season and keep Ford as a backup? If so, seems like a gross mismanagement of a second rounder who is primarily going to be a backup interior linemen. I think Feliciano is one of the tone setters along that line. I think they would be better served keeping him entrenched at RG.

So again, the context of what the plan moving forward would be, especially after giving Spain three more years, so hes likely entrenched as the starting LG... 

...got it...thanks...…...:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Played 16 games, gave up ZERO sacks. Seems pretty darn good in the passing game.

Yeah, he has it backwards.  He’s good in pass pro and despite his size, is meh as a run blocker.  

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Context is important

If i put ford at guard then i would let feliciano or long go.  probably make feliciano the back up if hell take the money.  if ford is better than feliciano at RG then i dont think they would be better served with feliciano at RG.  that said i dont know how good ford would be at RG, but i would def take one of the top 4 tackles if they somehow magically fell in the draft.