Quinton Spain to re-sign with buffalo, 3 yr 15 million

11 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m on the fence for this one. 
He’s an above average player, I’m no pff analyst or huge film watcher but he seemed to have some issues in pass protection but seemed to excel in the run game. I considered him and Ford our weak links in pass pro. As much of a beating as Ford took for getting beat I always wondered why Spain didn’t catch some of the same. But I could of course be wrong I didn’t replay enough stuff to verify 

I don’t Spain gave up a single sack last year.

12 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m on the fence for this one. 
He’s an above average player, I’m no pff analyst or huge film watcher but he seemed to have some issues in pass protection but seemed to excel in the run game. I considered him and Ford our weak links in pass pro. As much of a beating as Ford took for getting beat I always wondered why Spain didn’t catch some of the same. But I could of course be wrong I didn’t replay enough stuff to verify 

Because Spain didnt get beat a lot in pass protection. 

I don’t think our OL is as bad as people make it out to be. Motor had a great season for a rookie. I can think of numerous times where Allen had 5 seconds to throw but nobody was getting open. Ford was weak in pass protection but he is a mauler on run plays and he was battling a torn rotator cuff. I’d still like to see another lineman added, preferably a RT added rounds 1-4 but honestly I think the major problem with our offense was the fact that outside of Brown and Beasley, Allen had nobody to throw to.

• Like (+1) 1

Glad to have you back Quinton Road Grader Spain :)

Like I have said before continuity is a good thing  :)

Besides that he could have got more money elsewhere but he wants to be a Bill the fans should be happy because guys wanted to escape or the Bills had to over pay before this regime arrived  :) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

DS wasn't getting those yards running through holes created by the line. 

Gore was a shell of himself, but do you remember watching them try to run the ball on 3rd and short? It was brutal. 

I just want to see at least one piece altered because this aspect of the game wasn't good enough.

Re-signing Spain prevents a big need in FA or the draft.  Feliciano and Nysekhe are FA's next year and Long could be as well.  Dawkins will be extended soon imo.  I can't remember what presser it was but got the distinct impression Beane is looking to upgrade the Oline.  I'm thinking OT on Day 2 of draft.

It's interesting how this signing is sparking less discussion about Quinton Spain himself, and more talk about Cody Ford... but it's completely understandable.

The Offensive Line last year was solid, with one clear weak spot.  Right Tackle.

The problem was not Dion Dawkins at LT.  It was not Spain at LG.  It was not Mitch Morse at C.  It was not Jon Feliciano at RG.  All of these guys played consistently well throughout the course of the season.  And we also seemed to have good depth coming off the bench, particularly with Ryan Bates and Spencer Long.

But we did admittedly have a lot of problems with RT - between Ford struggling as a rookie, him rotating with Ty Nsekhe every other series early in the season, and then with Nsekhe getting hurt.  In my opinion, that one glaring weak spot on the right side was the difference between Buffalo fielding a Top 10 unit, and fielding a Top 15-20 unit.  And I know many other fans had the same observation.

I think many Bills fans expected (or even hoped) that we would let Spain walk... not because he isn't a good player himself... but because they wanted to see Ford slide inside to Guard.  Then we could focus on upgrading the RT spot.  But this move pretty much sets the O-Line for at least the 2021 season.  It's pretty clear that our coaching staff/front office believes in Ford and expect him to improve greatly at the position.  Hopefully they are correct.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

It's interesting how this signing is sparking less discussion about Quinton Spain himself, and more talk about Cody Ford... but it's completely understandable.

The Offensive Line last year was solid, with one clear weak spot.  Right Tackle.

The problem was not Dion Dawkins at LT.  It was not Spain at LG.  It was not Mitch Morse at C.  It was not Jon Feliciano at RG.  All of these guys played consistently well throughout the course of the season.  And we also seemed to have good depth coming off the bench, particularly with Ryan Bates and Spencer Long.

But we did admittedly have a lot of problems with RT - between Ford struggling as a rookie, him rotating with Ty Nsekhe every other series early in the season, and then with Nsekhe getting hurt.  In my opinion, that one glaring weak spot on the right side was the difference between Buffalo fielding a Top 10 unit, and fielding a Top 15-20 unit.  And I know many other fans had the same observation.

I think many Bills fans expected (or even hoped) that we would let Spain walk... not because he isn't a good player himself... but because they wanted to see Ford slide inside to Guard.  Then we could focus on upgrading the RT spot.  But this move pretty much sets the O-Line for at least the 2021 season.  It's pretty clear that our coaching staff/front office believes in Ford and expect him to improve greatly at the position.  Hopefully they are correct.

I am glad we re-signed Spain first and foremost but it does leave me with questions as to what we are going to do moving forward. I agree that most people would say our weakness was RT. A lot of people want to make Ford a guard permanently, which makes sense based on last year. Re-signing Spain and Long creates a log-jam at G though, so if Ford was going to make the switch to G he is going to have to fight for snaps which seems counterproductive for a young players development when switching positions.

Also what room is there for upgrades? If we agree that another RT would be an upgrade and we get one in FA or the early rounds of the draft, how is that player going to rotate in with Ford & Nseke? This move actually makes me think we sit tight at OL with what we have instead of look for an upgrade, which is disappointing a bit.

Again, I am happy overall we re-signed Spain but I makes upgrading the line a bit less obvious. But as always in Beane I trust.

Edited by jletha

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I know people are wanting them to keep working on the O-line by bringing in some new good players but I think it's also important to remember that while the line does need to improve last year 4/5 of the starters were new. Which basically means all 5 were new to working with each other, hell even a lot of the depth was new. The starting RT was a rookie and it was the first year of our new OL coach. Plenty of reasons to think this O-Line improves this year even without a bunch of shiny new toys.

That's a fair point, but our OL was pretty average overall. I'd be all in favor of another, even bigger signing in the trenches. Unfortunately, there are no very good OT's available in this year's FA class and the top tier of rookie OT's is expected to be gone by the time we draft at 22.

Right rotator cuff (Ford) + Right ankle (Nsekhe) was not helpful for the RT position.

I think we'll see a big improvement this year but nevertheless, I do think we will also draft a Tackle as there is no guarantee that either Dawkins or Nsekhe will be here in 2021.

I love the signing for consistency. The O Line plays as a cohesive unit more than any other group on a football team. Keeping them together is huge. And, for those worried about Ford, there are very few, if any NFL teams that are 100% solid at all five O Line spots. In fact I remember watching highlights of the Bills Super Bowl years and was surprised that I couldn’t remember all five starters even through that consistent of a run. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

Beane is no fool.

He saw what we all saw at RT.

I'd bet anything that he brings in SOME kind of meaningful competition for Ford, because I also think he wants Nsekhe to be the swing tackle, ideally.

They see talent in him...just watch the video of the draft last year and the dismay in the bills war room when they thought Carolina jumped them for Ford...The whole room was discouraged....A full Nfl off season of training will get this kid going...I don’t think they have any plans other than developing him...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, zevo said:

They see talent in him...just watch the video of the draft last year and the dismay in the bills war room when they thought Carolina jumped them for Ford...The whole room was discouraged....A full Nfl off season of training will get this kid going...I don’t think they have any plans other than developing him...

I agree that they believe in him fully, and that they think he'll get a lot better this season. I don't disagree with them!

I also think Beane is a "hedging your bets" type of guy, and that he'll bring in a body at tackle, whether through the draft or free agency. 

The fact that when they were asked about what position Ford would play in his second season, they didn't just say "tackle", but were instead non-committal, tells me that they realize it's not a sure thing he pans out at that position. If they were 100% in on Ford as a tackle, they would have just replied "he's a tackle".