Quinton Spain to re-sign with buffalo, 3 yr 15 million

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nah, it's pretty much set

LT - Dawkins/Nsekhe

LG - Spain/Long

C - Morse/Spain/Long

RG - Feliciano/Ford

RT - Ford/Nsekhe

Maybe grab another Tackle, and a Guard to compete, but we can roll with that.

You know? That looks eerily similar to what we rolled with last year. 

Wait a minute! It's exactly what we had last year! Anybody that's happy running the same group out there again needs to wake up. That unit came up short way too many games last year, including the loss to Houston where they were just pathetic. 

We're they better than the year before? Sure, but that's like being the best looking patient in the Burn Unit.  We need an  upgrade at RT. I can live with Dawkins at LT but he's not exactly Franchise caliber. 

We're not making a serious run with the same " wash, rinse and repeat" O-line.

Just my opinion.....

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Wait a minute! It's exactly what we had last year! Anybody that's happy running the same group out there again needs to wake up. That unit came up short way too many games last year, including the loss to Houston where they were just pathetic. 

We're they better than the year before? Sure, but that's like being the best looking patient in the Burn Unit.  We need an  upgrade at RT. I can live with Dawkins but he's not exactly Franchise caliber. 

Just my opinion.....

You mean the same one where DS averaged over 5 yards a carry

The same one where we went 10-6?

The offensive line really was not our problem last year like it was the year before.....it was lack of offensive weapons (IMO)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The offensive line really was not our problem last year like it was the year before.....it was lack of offensive weapons (IMO)

DS wasn't getting those yards running through holes created by the line. 

Gore was a shell of himself, but do you remember watching them try to run the ball on 3rd and short? It was brutal. 

I just want to see at least one piece altered because this aspect of the game wasn't good enough.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

He's a gritty guy and I love his energy. But no. His run blocking abilities don't match the image.

I'm just trying to figure out how and where they plan to improve the PUSH generated by the OL.

People are rightfully interested in pass pro tackles. It's a big deal. But what appears to be a relatively silent issue with this unit is they don't collectively generate much push. Morse is here for 2020. Now Spain is here for 2020. These are two solid football players who aren't particularly adept at straight line blocking.

I was really hoping they'd add a different type of player at LG considering the other pieces. But that's just me.

I like it.

flip side- frank gore was our lead back for stretches and that was a real concern. 

5 hours ago, WMDman said:

Welp there goes everyones hopes of Ford to gaurd

Im glad spain got re-signed (hopefully) 

I am super psyched we got Spain at the price tag we got him at. I am not so sure this means Ford won't play guard. He was a PT'er last year and he may be again this year if the right RT comes along as a FA or pick. This still tells me all signs are pointing to all in on a trade up to get a premium WR.

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think McBeane drafted Ford because they want him at RT and given that Ford was far from tragic his rookie year (I would say he was average overall, rough early but finished better) I think they are comfortable with him (and they have Ty as a stop gap) at RT. This dream so many on this board have of Ford getting kick inside isn't happening (At least I don't think so.) I think they are rolling with the same O-line as last year hoping that continuity and Ford developing more takes them from an above average O-line to a very good one. 

I remember rushers still blowing by him late in the season.

24 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

DS wasn't getting those yards running through holes created by the line. 

Gore was a shell of himself, but do you remember watching them try to run the ball on 3rd and short? It was brutal. 

I just want to see at least one piece altered because this aspect of the game wasn't good enough.

One aspect will be altered (I hope)

The passing game will get better.....allowing for the running game to be more successful

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My only concern with being "not set" is that Feliciano and Nsekhe are up after this year and Dawkins is due an extension.  So long term, no. But we're good for this year at least.

The truth is that everything is one year at a time. You plan for the future but play for today. You can't predict injuries and other factors that may prevent the team from being able to retain all the players they want. The key is to continue drafting well and so far I trust our FO with that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Was hoping the same.... there is just something missing upfront. 

I doubt they’d trade for a guy like Jackson to put Feliciano on the bench.... I’m guessing they keep all 5 intact even thought an upgrade at RT is needed...

That's what I'm thinking. Spain is a nice player, but I don't like the fit considering the other parts. 

I don't believe Ford is going to hold up at RT and @Hapless Bills Fan has stated that LG would be his natural position.

I would have greatly preferred to see them sign an RT and make the switch, but it appears we're going to see the same line. 

I like the Spain signing but still hope we upgrade Feliciano’s spot.  He’s a great backup with Long, but we can take this OL to the next level with an improvement at RG or RT.  

Dawkins - Spain - Morse is legit. 

Edited by SCBills

18 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's what I'm thinking. Spain is a nice player, but I don't like the fit considering the other parts. 

I don't believe Ford is going to hold up at RT and @Hapless Bills Fan has stated that LG would be his natural position.

I would have greatly preferred to see them sign an RT and make the switch, but it appears we're going to see the same line. 

LG is the position Ford played in 2016 or 2017 at OU.    I'm not equipped to judge whether he would make a good RG in the NFL.

I do think it's possible the Bills see some players they like on OL in the draft, but see them as potentially needing a development year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, zevo said:

I read it as clearly stating a total valuation of 15 million over 3 years...so 5 mill per

Likely it is front loaded because they have cap space which I am fine with as long as if player tries to leave Bills use everything allowed in rules including fining every absence.  If the Bills gave him $9M in 2020 and two subsequent years at $1M roster bonuses and $2M 2nd and $3M 3rd year salaries ($9+$1+$2+$1+$2) I do not want him, his agent, etc coming out 2nd year saying things like "He was all pro last year and he deserves to be paid as such now.  Last contract underpaid him."  If he retires file claims on any money owed and refuse to release him if he unretires.

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Ok. Spain is a nice player, but this line needs a straight line blocker or TWO. LG would be the perfect spot to upgrade with Morse playing center.

There's a reason the run game was trash and the main culprit is the fact that the OL is largely comprised of big body guys solid in pass pro, but porous in generating push.

Feliciano is a nice player, but mauler? Not really. 

I'd like this signing a whole lot more if the other two interior OL spots were manned by guys strong at the point of attack. 

As is, I just don't see an OL conducive for a solid running game.

Have you heard of this pesky thing called the salary cap?

It exists to  prevent some  teams from signing elite players at every position...

Whilst it would be great to sign (what trade for? ...we are giving up a pick as well?)  someone like Gabe Jackson at $11mil a year... it’s difficult to pay him and Morse and Dawkins ( probably next year..)

Edited by Aussie Joe

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Indeed, I look to Frank gore as the main problem with our running game.

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Ok. Spain is a nice player, but this line needs a straight line blocker or TWO. LG would be the perfect spot to upgrade with Morse playing center.

There's a reason the run game was trash and the main culprit is the fact that the OL is largely comprised of big body guys solid in pass pro, but porous in generating push.

Feliciano is a nice player, but mauler? Not really. 

I'd like this signing a whole lot more if the other two interior OL spots were manned by guys strong at the point of attack. 

As is, I just don't see an OL conducive for a solid running game.

Agreed

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

We're they better than the year before? Sure, but that's like being the best looking patient in the Burn Unit.  We need an  upgrade at RT. I can live with Dawkins at LT but he's not exactly Franchise caliber. 

Just my opinion.....

I agree completely.  

we’re going to sign Dawkins to a huge deal and he’s not even a top 10 LT imo.  Spain is average but can’t run block well.  Morse is the highest paid center and is solid.  Feliciano is solid.  The RT tandem was pretty bad and is looking to come back intact.  Eh.  A pedestrian group that played as such in the playoffs when we needed them most

3 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Which is why I'd love to trade for Gabe Jackson for RG. At least one of the guards would be great player at getting serious push in the run game.

I think the resigning of Spain is going to negate this.....we are now really loaded at the interior OL positions

- Just have a big contract to Morse

- Spain - Starter

- Jon F. - Starter

- Ryan Bates - backup

- Spencer Long - backup

and this is all assuming that Cody Ford stays at RT

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I like the Spain signing but still hope we upgrade Feliciano’s spot.  He’s a great backup with Long, but we can take this OL to the next level with an improvement at RG or RT.  

Dawkins - Spain - Morse is legit. 

Jon F. was the best offensive linemen on our team last year.   Not sure what you are watching

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Jon F. was the best offensive linemen on our team last year.   Not sure what you are watching

Couldn’t agree more... He was great this year at both RG and when he had to cover for Morse on more than 1 occasion...

Shake my head at the expectations of some people..