Quinton Spain to re-sign with buffalo, 3 yr 15 million

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nah, it's pretty much set

LT - Dawkins/Nsekhe

LG - Spain/Long

C - Morse/Spain/Long

RG - Feliciano/Ford

RT - Ford/Nsekhe

Maybe grab another Tackle, and a Guard to compete, but we can roll with that.

Yup, you know they planned this signing and also will be grabbing a tackle prospect late.  Aside from Ty and Morse's early concush, we had pretty good durabiliy upfront.   

Hard to believe we have a FULL returning Oline with the same starting QB, RB, TE and 2 WR's plus HC, OC, qb coach and receivers coach.   Hasn't happened in decades.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, TPS said:

Are you kidding, that is a great deal for the Bills, especially for a guy who didn't give up a sack (or close to it)

Hey I agree it's a great value. I'm just saying is this the offensive line that's going to take us to a championship? It's a legit question.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nah, it's pretty much set

LT - Dawkins/Nsekhe

LG - Spain/Long

C - Morse/Spain/Long

RG - Feliciano/Ford

RT - Ford/Nsekhe

Maybe grab another Tackle, and a Guard to compete, but we can roll with that.

Very underrated group . Maybe not an elite unit , but a very good one with quality depth.. love this deal if true

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Excellent news ! 

My hot take is that we will trade Ford and draft a RT. 

I too wonder if Ford is a player the Bills would consider trading.  It seems unlikely, but the G spots are crowded on this roster and if the Bills don't think he's capable of playing RT well, maybe they do move on while he still has value.

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Very underrated group . Maybe not an elite unit , but a very good one with quality depth.. love this deal if true

The Spain deal is good and protects the down side but we definitely need to upgrade the OL, especially the right side. We should not be going into next season with the same group, expecting that "gelling" will make the unit better as a whole. Plus we have injury concerns with Morse and Nsekhe. I hope we add at least one starter on the right side and take a Center in rounds 3-5 to groom. 

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m on the fence for this one. 
He’s an above average player, I’m no pff analyst or huge film watcher but he seemed to have some issues in pass protection but seemed to excel in the run game. I considered him and Ford our weak links in pass pro. As much of a beating as Ford took for getting beat I always wondered why Spain didn’t catch some of the same. But I could of course be wrong I didn’t replay enough stuff to verify 

Opposite. He graded out better in pass protection and didn’t let up a sack all year. One of 9 guards in the league to accomplish that.

Having five returning starters on the offensive line is unprecedented around these parts. I honestly can’t remember the last time that happened in Buffalo. For that reason alone, this is a great signing. Spain had his ups and downs, but when he was up he was really good. Plus having primary backups in Long, Nsehke, Bates back? Seriously never happens. 

On Ford, people need to understand how incredibly hard it is to play the offensive line. It takes time. What Ford was asked to do in this offense was so far advanced from what he had to do as a Sooner. Ford is raw with a lot of upside and will take time. Very similar to Dion Dawkins, last year’s “guy who needs to move to guard but now we all want to extend.” Give it time and Ford will be very good.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Estro said:

I too wonder if Ford is a player the Bills would consider trading.  It seems unlikely, but the G spots are crowded on this roster and if the Bills don't think he's capable of playing RT well, maybe they do move on while he still has value.

Doubt it, Beane was just on interview saying nothing he saw in Ford this year tells him he can’t play tackle in this league.  Versatility and positional flexibility makes Ford more valuable than maybe how we see him. I would be honestly shocked to see the front office move on from a 2nd round pick that had some moments. Not everyone’s an all

pro as a rookie.

Ok. Spain is a nice player, but this line needs a straight line blocker or TWO. LG would be the perfect spot to upgrade with Morse playing center.

There's a reason the run game was trash and the main culprit is the fact that the OL is largely comprised of big body guys solid in pass pro, but porous in generating push.

Feliciano is a nice player, but mauler? Not really. 

I'd like this signing a whole lot more if the other two interior OL spots were manned by guys strong at the point of attack. 

As is, I just don't see an OL conducive for a solid running game.

• Like (+1) 2

how did this become a Cody Ford thread. kinda weak .

Q Spain ? We are Glad to keep ya ! Thanks for resigning as a Bill.

Hard work paid off for sure. : )

Go Bills

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Ok. Spain is a nice player, but this line needs a straight line blocker or TWO. LG would be the perfect spot to upgrade with Morse playing center.

There's a reason the run game was trash and the main culprit is the fact that the OL is largely comprised of big body guys solid in pass pro, but porous in generating push.

I'd like this signing a whole lot more if the other two interior OL spots were manned by guys strong at the point of attack. 

feliciano is not a mauler ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Which is why I'd love to trade for Gabe Jackson for RG. At least one of the guards would be great player at getting serious push in the run game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

feliciano is not a mauler ?

He's a gritty guy and I love his energy. But no. His run blocking abilities don't match the image.

I'm just trying to figure out how and where they plan to improve the PUSH generated by the OL.

People are rightfully interested in pass pro tackles. It's a big deal. But what appears to be a relatively silent issue with this unit is they don't collectively generate much push. Morse is here for 2020. Now Spain is here for 2020. These are two solid football players who aren't particularly adept at straight line blocking.

I was really hoping they'd add a different type of player at LG considering the other pieces. But that's just me.

33 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Which is why I'd love to trade for Gabe Jackson for RG. At least one of the guards would be great player at getting serious push in the run game.

I like it.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1