Bills Restructure Kroft

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Doubling down on a bust FA signing last year.

Not a fan. Gotta hope Knox and Sweeney develop. 

This response is just not understanding the high IQ of a real GM.

We aren't going to come anywhere near spending to the cap because our biggest obligations come next year and the following.  Contracts that end in 2020 are irrelevant.  

This move, while subtle and maybe totally uneventful - shows how smart Beane is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Basically the Bills guaranteed his contract this year of 3.6 million out of the paycut. Got rid of the 3rd year so basically the Bills have him more guaranteed money probably locking him in from 2020 but have the flexibility to get out from under his contract

This.   A good move all around.  And if they get more competition and he sucks they cut him now and they dont have 2021 dead cap. 

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think so but now they get a chance to see what he has to offer in camp and kick the tires before cutting him. In fact they get less dead cap if they cut him late in camp than they would if they just cut him outright. 

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

I don't disagree, but their thinking is that they are going to give him more than one year to prove he isn't a bust.

I would move on, but my vote means nothing. ?

This will be his 6th year in the league. He has one complete season, where he maxed out at 400 yards.  He's been on IR on 2 teams.

What else would you need to declare failure?

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This will be his 6th year in the league. He has one complete season, where he maxed out at 400 yards.  He's been on IR on 2 teams.

What else would you need to declare failure?

I am just telling you their thought process.

I would have cut him yesterday though.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Apparently the last year was restructured.  If they cut him after this year I think, we get a compensatory pick ?

I believe cutting a player does not account into comp picks.  May be that is why they restructured so that his contract expires at the end of the year and losing him makes us eligible for a pick

• Like (+1) 1

Have to think they're happy going into next year with Knox and Kroft as #1/#2, Smith as #3, and Sweeney to continue developing, with the expectation that Knox develops into a true starter. If Sweeney comes along well enough, they can ditch Kroft after this next year.

Edited by Rubes

This is tremendous cap management by Beane. Kroft underperformed his contract last year, presumably due to an Injury.  This gives him an opportunity to prove that was a fluke, while reducing the Bills’ downside risk, and frees the team to invest in other TE option should if they desire.  Very good job by the management team.