Bills Restructure Kroft

Posters that say, “what if he has a good year?”, well, sure then we’d probably wish we had another year on that contract, but you can’t operate on hope.   

The Bills are operating off facts.  Fact - Kroft hasn’t gotten over the injury bug.  Fact - He’s a good player when healthy.  

We’ll see if Shaq’s rumored signing comes to fruition and what the numbers are, but it seems Buffalo is building a culture of believing in their players, fairness with their players and pushing players to be their best selves.  

The contract restructure, or in Shaq’s case, not picking up the fifth year is the “fairness” part.  

The negotiations after they come through and selling the player on who they can become here is the “culture and belief” part of the equation.  

Edited by SCBills

I don't like it, I would have just cut him and saved 5 million on the cap instead of taking a potential 3.4 million dollar cap hit vs. a 1.5 million dollar cap hit. 1.9 million might not seem like a lot of money but that is almost 1% of your salary cap and everything adds up. I think McBeane must really like Kroft in order for them to structure his contract this way. And Kroft is taking the higher guarantee and the increased freedom. But I don't see it with Kroft honestly. 

My guess is they offered him two options, the restructured deal or releasing him. This is an okay option for the team, gets them out of the contract a year early. Probably not going after Hunter Henry or Hooper but doesn't preclude them from doing so because Knox is on a cheap 3rd round rookie deal. Kroft on roster for 1 year is a bridge to 2021 and a hedge in case Knox plateaus (I don't think that happens but it could). 

14 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

My guess is they offered him two options, the restructured deal or releasing him. This is an okay option for the team, gets them out of the contract a year early. Probably not going after Hunter Henry or Hooper but doesn't preclude them from doing so because Knox is on a cheap 3rd round rookie deal. Kroft on roster for 1 year is a bridge to 2021 and a hedge in case Knox plateaus (I don't think that happens but it could). 

LAC just Franchise Tagged Henry.

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

At this point TE is clearly not a priority for this team. Watch us keep Lee Smith to finish things off. Hope Knox improves or we're screwed. 

I mean 1 September is a LONG way away.  Let's see what happens.  Just saying.

16 hours ago, Locomark said:

So even if they declare failure, they still save $ when they cut him. Why don't you like cap savings???

14 hours ago, MJS said:

And why is there urgency to do that? Let him go to camp and if he doesn't produce they can cut him then.

The restructure actually made it more expensive, and less likely, to cut him this year. $3.4 mil now guaranteed vs. $1.6 dead cap before the new deal. 

Basically they retain him, and his cap hit(4) is only 2.4 mil more than if they had cut him(1.6). From that perspective it's a good deal for the Bills. I was hoping they would upgrade him, but now I'm hoping he can finally do something on the field. He's caught more than 11 passes only once in 5 seasons. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Everyone gets a trophy. Don’t want to hurt anyone feelings. 

Missing this bad on a top free agent is bad, bad news. Cut bait and admit the mistake. 

This has nothing to do with attractive other free agents. 

He straight up robbed the bills with his contract. Plus he costs us big time, penalty’s and mistakes. He sucks And injury proned. His one good year was a fluke. 

It’s a head scratcher for sure. Beane makes some odd decisions. 

Why are you even here? Seriously. All your posts are drenched in over the top vitriol about the Bills. 

Its a head scratcher for sure.

I totally missed this thread/news.

Did they restructure his ankle???  

Well ... let's hope he is who we thought he was before last season.  Perhaps an entire calendar year of being healthy will get him there.  In Beane I Trust!!!

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 1