Bills Restructure Kroft

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He’s a bust.   

I don't disagree, but their thinking is that they are going to give him more than one year to prove he isn't a bust.

I would move on, but my vote means nothing. ?

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Doubling down on a bust FA signing last year.

Not a fan. Gotta hope Knox and Sweeney develop. 

Paying him less money and getting rid of the last 2 years of his contract is doubling down? I really hope you're joking.

• Like (+1) 9

13 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

No Thanks. Cut him. Our front office is too nice. This is football. 

To be fair, this is the kind of things players love. Want to attract more/better free agents this is one of the ways to do it. It’s a respectful kind of move. It does not hinder the team from making any moves or getting better or acquiring talent at any position. 
Kroft has one good season under his belt from his Cincinnati days. Which was a pretty decent season. I don’t think buffalo year one is a fair assessment to judge him on. Injuries are a concern and problem for him, good thing we have quite a few tight ends on the team. 

• Like (+1) 4

Good! Beane strikes again. 
To those that haven’t figured it out yet, ya don’t cut players until you have inked their replacement, when yo do that you lose leverage when negotiating the replacement, unless of course it’s Kelvin Benjamin... ? then ya just cut his azs. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

And what if he has a awesome year? I don't get this move 

I imagine Knox is seen as the future and the player who should have the awesome year.  Kroft, if healthy, should be a strong contributor, but Knox is the guy.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

Can someone please explain this in simple terms/what this indicates? 

Is the main value of this that we don't have him on the books for 2021-22? Why not just cut him?

The Bills get to keep him for less money this season.  His upside is that most of that lesser amount is guaranteed.  It also shortens the contract to just this season so - if he performs - he can get paid.  I’d have probably just cut him, but they like him I guess. 

27 minutes ago, wppete said:

I have a feeling Beane has something big up his sleeve in FA or a big trade!!!! He is freeing up even more money. Can’t wait till Wednesday!

I think the Kroft and Star restructurings of opening up future money is more for Tre Whites and Dion Dawkins contracts 

19 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Good! Beane strikes again. 
To those that haven’t figured it out yet, ya don’t cut players until you have inked their replacement, when yo do that you lose leverage when negotiating the replacement, unless of course it’s Kelvin Benjamin... ? then ya just cut his azs. 

Go Bills!!!

Dunno about that in this case.  You just made it very difficult to cut him this season if we do find an upgrade.  This is both sides agreeing to give it one more season to see if it works out.  My real issue is that it makes upgrading the position very difficult unless we move in from Lee Smith.  In that case our new TE better be a good in line blocker.

The initial contract they gave Kroft was terrible.  If we’re going to keep him this season at least it’ll be for less money. 

48 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I like this move...he either delivers a reason to keep him this year, or he is done and off the books right after.  Kroft benefits getting guaranteed money with his injury history.  Win Win here.  Another great move by Beane.  

Honestly, odds are he will be gone by 2021 anyway, Knox is our future most likely assuming he shows improvement this year of course.  

Agreed !

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, junior12thman92 said:

Is the main value of this that we don't have him on the books for 2021-22? Why not just cut him?

It means Beane is an excellent GM.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Dunno about that in this case.  You just made it very difficult to cut him this season if we do find an upgrade.  This is both sides agreeing to give it one more season to see if it works out.  My real issue is that it makes upgrading the position very difficult unless we move in from Lee Smith.  In that case our new TE better be a good in line blocker.

The initial contract they gave Kroft was terrible.  If we’re going to keep him this season at least it’ll be for less money. 

This move tells me the are likely to run with the current makeup of the TE room. Of course I could be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

There was a reason they signed him last year.  He's a good athlete and will be productive when he's 100% healthy.  They'll put in some plays to leverage his strengths.  Anybody remember the touchdown he scored last year?  Won a game for us.

Saved some bucks.  He was an 8 million dollar guy.  Now he's half that.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, junior12thman92 said:

It means they are stuck with him for another year but he only gets 4 million dollars to sit injured on the bench instead of 6.

If you cut him you get a 1.6 mil dead cap hit but then you have to find a replacement who can actually play tight end. Evidently that's hard to do.?