UPDATE: XFL suspends season

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is huge as like the AAFL when it folded - the players will get a shot before FA begins.  As I said before - the biggest league issue is that these guys would only be available after FA and the draft - really limiting the number of shots.  

Good for them to stop completely and not try to postpone for a month and finish up when their guys have no shot.

8 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Call me ignorant, but I don't understand shutting down all these sports. I get not allowing fans to attend, that makes sense, but why 2 teams can't play each other in an empty stadium, doesn't make much sense to me. 

My feeling is that you take these 2 teams and one has to travel - potential exposure - then stay in a hotel - more exposure - eat, ride to game.  Then two teams play - lost of close physical contact and potential exposure.

The risk is just that you can fairly quickly infect an entire team and spread the virus amongst many additional support players.

For example the CAA just found out a Ref tested positive - now potentially every team in the CAA has potential to be exposed.  They have already returned to campus - now potentially a larger group is exposed.

If you had 2 teams and everyone tested and quarantined along with coaches, refs, doctors, video guys, everything - it would be fine, but one breakdown - one positive and bang potentially 50 exposures that need monitored.

It sucks, but it makes sense to keep everyone as safe as possible.

12 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Call me ignorant, but I don't understand shutting down all these sports. I get not allowing fans to attend, that makes sense, but why 2 teams can't play each other in an empty stadium, doesn't make much sense to me. 

Maintaining social distance is the strategy at reducing potential spread of the disease. Can't really do that in most sports besides tennis.

I agree that the risk seems low, but I'm sure the players are concerned about it.

10 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

My feeling is that you take these 2 teams and one has to travel - potential exposure - then stay in a hotel - more exposure - eat, ride to game.  Then two teams play - lost of close physical contact and potential exposure.

The risk is just that you can fairly quickly infect an entire team and spread the virus amongst many additional support players.

For example the CAA just found out a Ref tested positive - now potentially every team in the CAA has potential to be exposed.  They have already returned to campus - now potentially a larger group is exposed.

If you had 2 teams and everyone tested and quarantined along with coaches, refs, doctors, video guys, everything - it would be fine, but one breakdown - one positive and bang potentially 50 exposures that need monitored.

It sucks, but it makes sense to keep everyone as safe as possible.

I understand that, but still, it's not like people arnt going to work and the grocery store etc. Shutting down sports isn't gonna prevent it from spreading Imo. Believe me, I totally understand the concern too. My mom has cancer and is going through treatment and my dad has heart problems, both of which are high risk with the carona virus. So I get the concern, but are we just gonna shut down the entire country for 6 months at some point? 

Edited by Steptide

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

NBA tried and player tested positive. Now you risk all players and staff and workers. It is the smart and prudent thing to do

I think the league survives. Paying base Salary and treating players correct after suspension will keep players wanting to play. 

I think the league survives. Paying base Salary and treating players correct after suspension will keep players wanting to play 

Edited by MAJBobby

53 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I understand that, but still, it's not like people arnt going to work and the grocery store etc. Shutting down sports isn't gonna prevent it from spreading Imo. Believe me, I totally understand the concern too. My mom has cancer and is going through treatment and my dad has heart problems, both of which are high risk with the carona virus. So I get the concern, but are we just gonna shut down the entire country for 6 months at some point? 

I think the main idea is to slow down the spread of the virus. If too many people get sick at one time it'll overwhelm healthcare infrastructure, and people that would have lived with treatment end up dying instead. 

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Yet Vince McMahon is still moving forward with with hosting up to 70,000 at Wrestlemania...

I thought they are now doing it without an audience? Strictly for TV.

24 minutes ago, youngjebrey said:

Players are allowed to sign with nfl teams immediately. BRING CAM PHILLIPS HOME!

Bring in his QB PJ Walker as well. He'd be a great 3rd QB/Wildcat type of player. The Bills like flexibility, do they not?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

Im sure Wrestlemania is completely in jeopardy.... but until its off, their philosophy is 'full steam ahead'.  

We will see the path of this thing in the next 2 weeks.  Its either going to be dissipating, we got ahead of it, and we are going to start to laugh at ourselves (I hope).

Or we are going to have a few pockets similar to Italy and things will be hitting the fan, and in that case, Wrestlemania is an easy cancel.

The final decision just doesnt need to be made quite yet

Edited by May Day 10

30 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I agree - he is stubborn as hell and will run the show even if it puts others at risk.  

Yup. I'm pretty sure Vince has been in the business of giving no ***** since forever.

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Im sure Wrestlemania is completely in jeopardy.... but until its off, their philosophy is 'full steam ahead'.  

We will see the path of this thing in the next 2 weeks.  Its either going to be dissipating, we got ahead of it, and we are going to start to laugh at ourselves (I hope).

Or we are going to have a few pockets similar to Italy and things will be hitting the fan, and in that case, Wrestlemania is an easy cancel.

The final decision just doesnt need to be made quite yet

Any chance to get ahead of it is gone. As an example just a few days ago Michigan was reporting 0 cases, but they had only tested less than 10 people at that point. They have finally got their testing up and running and the cases are now showing up. Unfortunately the virus has been spreading while the lack of testing has kept numbers appearing low. Testing is still not widespread enough and is just getting started in a lot of places. It will almost certainly get worse before it gets better.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Any chance to get ahead of it is gone. As an example just a few days ago Michigan was reporting 0 cases, but they had only tested less than 10 people at that point. They have finally got their testing up and running and the cases are now showing up. Unfortunately the virus has been spreading while the lack of testing has kept numbers appearing low. Testing is still not widespread enough and is just getting started in a lot of places. It will almost certainly get worse before it gets better.

There are likely over 10,000 cases already they just haven’t been tested, based on many leading university reviews. There are no test kits. The CDC tested 6 people the other day total. The Utah Jazz tested 50+.  LOL