O-Line improved, still needs to be off season focus

I think all of us were happy to see the resources that Beane put into revamping the O-line last year with major investments in free agency and in draft capital.  The end result being that we put four new starters on the line and added quality depth to deal with inevitable in-season injuries.  I was happy to see the Bills pick up the option on Spencer Long who has been a solid depth signing by Beane and who played good ball when called on last season.

The 2019 offensive line certainly passed the eye test and seemed to give Josh more time to throw and better pockets to throw from, and the running game improved last year as well.  Despite that clear improvement, by most metrics, the Bills still fielded a middle of the pack O-Line last season. 

Pro Football Focus (PFF) Ranks

Bills O-Line 2018  26th

Bills O-Line 2019  21st

Football Outsiders Ranks

Bills O-Line 2018   Running  30th   Passing  23rd

Bills O-Line 2019   Running  16th   Passing  23rd

NFL.com Total Offense Rank

Bills Total Offense 2018  30th

Bills Total Offense 2019  24th

That needs to change if we are going to challenge for a championship.  Beane and McDermott have correctly stated on many occasions that successful teams are built from the lines out and this team still needs help on both lines.  We also need better O-Line play to help Josh continue to develop.  I hope Beane again focuses on the O-Line this off season and during the draft. 

I'd love to see Beane make a real run at landing Joe Haeg T/G from Indy during Free Agency this year as their big O-Line signing.  According to an article by Joe Buscaglia in The Athletic, last year Haeg started one game at LT, two games at RT, and one game at RG and was solid. If he can play at LT he can certainly play at LG too.  With Spain's status up in the air, this one signing would give the Bills an enormous amount of O-Line flexibility and would give the Bills this group of O-Lineman;

Mitch Morse C

Dion Dawkins LT

Joe Haeg RT/RG/LG/LT

Cody Ford RT/RG

Jon Feliciano  C/RG

Spencer Long C/RG

Ty Nsekhe  RT/LT

Ryan Bates T

Quinton Spain LG

LaAdrian Waddle T

Ike Boettger G

Victor Salako T

Morse, Dawkins, Ford, Feliciano, Nsekhe, Long, Haeg (if we can get him)and Bates would seem to be locks for the roster come opening week. We might see some movement on the last four on the list.  If Beane lets Spain go it looks like RG will be one of the biggest competitions in training camp this year.  We also need to find a permanent home for Cody Ford and fill in the final piece on the left side of the line.  I would love for them to add Haeg and resign Spain, you can never have too much depth on the O-Line. 

We still have the luxury of playing on Josh's rookie contract.  We have a lot of cap space and the O-Line is not a place to skimp. This team is entering a window where we can make a run and I think solid O-Line play and O-line depth is vital for that to happen.  With another year of continuity in the system and Jackson coaching them up, I would hope this line could make a jump into the top 15 in the League this season.  That improvement should be enough to push this offense over the top as long as Josh continues to develop.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4

I could always be wrong but I expect the team to go in the opposite direction a majority of fans on here want. 
There’s a lot of #1 receiver talk and emulating the chiefs lethal pass attack but I don’t think that’s what they want to build. Singletary looking so solid I would fully expect given the free agent market for the bills to target a lethal run game next season. Another top notch back to pair with singletary and some more Feliciano mauler type linemen. I think they’ll address receiver via free agency and the draft just maybe not as splashy as a lot of us would like. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree completely.  I’m not satisfied with the product last year.  They improved, but me playing all 5 positions by myself would’ve been an upgrade over the previous season.  Our goal should be to build a top 5 OL for Josh Allen 

• Like (+1) 2

I agree the line needs to play better but I don't agree that it needs to be by addition of players. If they just bring back Spain and let Ford continue to develop, they will be better.  They started 4 new linemen and all new TE's with a rookie RB and second year QB.  Give them more time by bringing back Spain.

• Like (+1) 4

Agree, the offense needs be the biggest priority this offseason. OL, RB, and WR, additions at those positions will be of great benefit.
At he same time we as well need to keep the Defense from taking a step back, both are equally important. I think Beane and McDermott are up to the task. You can be damn sure there is a plan and process in place to achieve this.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I think, after QB, having an OT and other essential OL/DL's on a rookie deal is the best steal/advantage any NFL team can have.  I'd def be okay taking an OT who projects as a pro-bowl caliber type player in the 1st.  Also allows Ford to Guard, and frees up money for Dawkins.  I'd also sign a vet OT on a 1-2 year deal if possible.  

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Unless you have Pro Bowlers at every position, you can always upgrade.

Define Pro Bowler:

1.) Fan choice of a popular name who sucks

2.) The Tyrod-type Pro Bowler who makes it because 32 other players decline it

Hypothetically IF the team resigns Spain what more does the team need to do for the O-line? This is a serious question. If the team retains Spain they bring back the starting O-line from last year Dawkins-Spain-Mitch-Feliciano-Ford and they have Ty, Long, and Bates off the bench. Other than a 9th O-line player for depth and a 10th for camp competition what could this team do if they retain their only free agent along the O-line. 

Granted I wouldn't mind seeing this team bring back Waddle and draft a O-line player late to foster some competition along the lines and add some more depth. BUT I don't know starting wise if this team isn't more than 1 player away from fielding a good O-line. If they feel that Spain and continuity is good at LG then I trust Beane. IF they feel Cody needs to kick in then they should go after a RT obviously. 

But there is only one major piece and some depth that needs to be added here and that one major piece could simply be resining a starter from last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great news with Long's option being picked up and now Spain resigned to a reasonable three year $15mm contract.  This off season is off to a great start. Keep the focus on the O-Line!

Keep it up Beane!!!

Edited by Inigo Montoya

22 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree the line needs to play better but I don't agree that it needs to be by addition of players. If they just bring back Spain and let Ford continue to develop, they will be better.  They started 4 new linemen and all new TE's with a rookie RB and second year QB.  Give them more time by bringing back Spain.

Just as I had hoped. Nice work so far Beane

11 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Hypothetically IF the team resigns Spain what more does the team need to do for the O-line? This is a serious question. If the team retains Spain they bring back the starting O-line from last year Dawkins-Spain-Mitch-Feliciano-Ford and they have Ty, Long, and Bates off the bench. Other than a 9th O-line player for depth and a 10th for camp competition what could this team do if they retain their only free agent along the O-line. 

Granted I wouldn't mind seeing this team bring back Waddle and draft a O-line player late to foster some competition along the lines and add some more depth. BUT I don't know starting wise if this team isn't more than 1 player away from fielding a good O-line. If they feel that Spain and continuity is good at LG then I trust Beane. IF they feel Cody needs to kick in then they should go after a RT obviously. 

But there is only one major piece and some depth that needs to be added here and that one major piece could simply be resining a starter from last year. 

Maybe they just play better.  They never played a game together until last year. Ford was a rookie.  Just give them some time.  Dawkins will be in a contract year and shoudl ball out for a big payday.  I'd bring back Waddle and Bates and sign a couple UDFAs after the draft for camp fodder.  With Spain coming back, they are set to restock the DL and LB spots.

With Buffalo re-upping Spain and Long, it looks like fewer line changes than we all expected.  I'm thinking maybe one draft pick.  Don't know that there will be any free agent signings or not, but I'm not seeing a big push for a major upgrade.

They will draft another O line by Round 4 at the latest.,,

Beane showed us last year that he will trade surplus guys after the preseason... Wouldn’t surprise me if Long gets moved on before Week 1..Not that I hate Long but just think Beane could move him on for a 5th with that contract..

49 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

With Buffalo re-upping Spain and Long, it looks like fewer line changes than we all expected.  I'm thinking maybe one draft pick.  Don't know that there will be any free agent signings or not, but I'm not seeing a big push for a major upgrade.

Responding to this and other similar comments:   You're ignoring what McBeane have told us for years now.   They are never satisfied with the level of talent anywhere.   They want and will bring in competition.   

Last year they had to bring in all those free agent offensive linemen to create the competition they wanted.   This year they already have their depth, and they'll be looking to bring in at least a couple of guys who will challenge for starting jobs.   I'm expecting one good free agent lineman and one good rookie.   Morse is guy whose job is most secure, Dawkins second.   The next three or four are going to be fighting for playing time.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Responding to this and other similar comments:   You're ignoring what McBeane have told us for years now.   They are never satisfied with the level of talent anywhere.   They want and will bring in competition.   

Last year they had to bring in all those free agent offensive linemen to create the competition they wanted.   This year they already have their depth, and they'll be looking to bring in at least a couple of guys who will challenge for starting jobs.   I'm expecting one good free agent lineman and one good rookie.   Morse is guy whose job is most secure, Dawkins second.   The next three or four are going to be fighting for playing time.  

I tweeted the same thing last night.

As good as it is to have the continuity of last year's starting linemen returning we can't stand still on it. They have to look to add in FA and draft and there must be even more competition for places. 

Just now, BritBill said:

I tweeted the same thing last night.

As good as it is to have the continuity of last year's starting linemen returning we can't stand still on it. They have to look to add in FA and draft and there must be even more competition for places. 

Plus, as I said in the continuity thread that Inigo started, when you have continuity and roster stability, new additions get up to speed much faster than when the whole roster is learning a new system.  So, to pick an example, if the Bills insert a better talent at left guard between Morse and Dawkins, that new talent blends in and plays at a high level much more quickly than if the center and tackle were new, too.   

I have no doubt that the oline will be better.   Ford will be better because he isn't a rookie any longer, Ford and Dawkins and Feliciano and Spain will be better because they have a full year into the system, and one or two of them will lose their jobs to players who are more talented.   Allen and Singletary will be the two biggest beneficiaries.  

• Like (+1) 1

Gotta wonder where Ford plugs in provided Feliciano and Spain are the guards in 2020.  He either wins the RT job or finds himself a primary backup because neither of those 2 should, barring injury, be pushed to depth roles. 

Buffalo needs an OL that can pass block because Josh has shown a tendency to hold on to the ball longer than his contemporaries.  At the same time, if they use this draft to find better receiving talent and add a complementary back to Singletary that should help him be more comfortable in the pocket. 

It'll be interesting to see if the Bills take an OT or sign one in UFA.  Doing so would indicate where they are on Ford's ability to play RT.