Could the XFL's Future be in Danger ?

T master

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

You might want to take a look at Nothern Italy....

A person visit might be needed based on his position in multiple threads,

45 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So all those people in intensive care in hospitals in Italy are actors trying to influence the US elections?

54 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

Posted outside a doctor's office:

Flu every election year.JPG

45 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So all those people in intensive care in hospitals in Italy are actors trying to influence the US elections?

The "doctor's office" (doctor of politics perhaps) missed 2002, 2006 from pattern.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sports is the last thing I'm worried about coming to a halt. What happens when grocery stores and public transportation stop operating?

The world's economy is going to collapse in a matter of weeks.

I work for a NY based Drug Store Chain. We also have stores in Vermont. Our Driver delivered to Tupper Lake in the central Adirondacks. He got there at 8:30 and a customer from Plattsburgh about 2 hours away from Tupper to see if he was delivering hand sanitizers.  People are just getting stupid about this. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Good thing there aren't many people in the world over 50.

Haha! Im not going to be 50 unill June!

4 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

...NCAA  not having fans at March Madness, ya know who really gets screwed there is the vendors, ushers ticket takers. 

and hotels, restaurants, airlines, Uber/Lyft drivers, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

Corona virus isn't what's killing the XFL.  

After 4 weeks, anyone still watching asked themselves: "why am I still watching this?"

They put teams in NFL towns.  There is no natural fanbase for any of these teams, nor is there even local ownership.  

The ratings are down to 1/3 of week 1 and continue to plummet.

This league was doomed as soon as it was announced.  All such leagues have been and will always be.   How isn this still not clear? 

13 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Yeah I don't see them around past a full second season. I stopped watching and paying attention once I saw terrible QB play, terrible tackling, etc.

I watched the Vipers vs Roughnecks game last Saturday and it was very entertaining the broadcast crew did a decent job and the Roughnecks fans were loud.

I wanted to watch the Roughnecks play the Dallas Renegades the week before but it wasn't televised in Canada :(

The game I did watch was just like you said terrible it was so bad I can't remember the teams ;) 

15 hours ago, StHustle said:

All this over a virus that very rarely effects kids and is not even as serious as the flu for adults under 80.

Im perplexed but such an overreaction everywhere. People are acting like this is the black plauge or somethin.

Yah they are kind of treating this like the folks her win TN do what they call a snow storm which consists of 20 degrees & 2 to 3 inches of snow nothing to really worry about but they go into a panic which is what people are doing with this !

I get having concern but as you said the flu last year killed some 12K people & this has killed 8 or so ?

I have to fly some for my job & to be honest not a fan right now but give me a health mask of some sort & some hand sanitizer & i'll go where ei need to but i will use some common sense.

Usually even with out this virus thing when i'm in public if i need to sneeze i don't blow my crap out so people can walk into my germ cloud i cover in my jacket or shirt & if i cough i cover with my arm & turn my head away & if i feel like crap i definitely don't go out to a big gathering of people just interject some common sense & i think we all will survive it's not the black plague ...

17 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Unlike the other failed leagues they have proper TV contracts that should keep them afloat.

This is not correct.  Their TV deal gives them nothing.  The stations (Fox, ESPN, ABC, etc) are not charging the XFL, but the XFL gets no money from the deal.  

The only income the XFL gets is a small percentage of the gate.  Vince was prepared to lose money for 2-3 years in the hope that the viewership would stabilize at close to 2.0 share and that would allow him to renegotiate to get some TV revenue. 

The issue is that it has not quite stabilized and it is in the 1.2-1.4 share range - not bad, but probably not enough to get a contract that pays the bills.  If the teams have to play in an empty stadium or cancel/postpone games - it potentially creates even more issues as it delays when these players become eligible for the NFL and hurts the long term plans of the league as a potential feeder league.

It will be interesting to see how they navigate this as the current climate could greatly eat into the money Vince set aside and maybe he no longer can fund a second season if they play without fans.

It should be interesting.

8 minutes ago, bbb said:

Isn't it all about TV?  It's like those ridiculous bowls that have nobody at the games, but they get better ratings by far than what ESPN would have on at that time slot.  

Yes. As long as the XFL stays in their lane, and doesn't pull a USFL and try to overtake, or even compete with the NFL, they'll be just fine. The ratings drop was expected as the novelty wore off, and  they're still pulling better than most nationally televised NHL and MLS games. The XFL is doing just fine, or arguably better than expected. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Until there is an actual feeder league with NFL team-ties/affiliations, I don't think any of these leagues will work. We all know if one of the XFL teams had players that were "property" of the Bills, we'd be watching close. 

That will never happen for legal and liability reasons. The NFL is dealing with enough CTE liability with it's current players. The fact the XFL game results are reported on NFL.com tells you they are fine with the league. But I'm sure the NFL would prefer an arms-length relationship. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bbb said:

Isn't it all about TV?  It's like those ridiculous bowls that have nobody at the games, but they get better ratings by far than what ESPN would have on at that time slot.  

It is about TV when your TV contract pays the Bills.  The XFL has a TV contract that provides them no money.  The stations put up the risk and the money.  The XFL gets nothing from TV.  The production cost for an NFL game is huge - so although it gets significantly better ratings - it does not mean the station is making more money.  A 1.5 share for the XFL is about break even for the TV stations - I believe.

That was why Vince had to front enough cash for 2 years because the league has no real income other than game ticket sales and even that is limited by how much the venue needs to be open and running.

For the XFL to survive - they needed ratings that would allow the stations to make enough money from ads to cover production cost and then share with the league.  The original articles discussing this was looking at around a 2.0 or higher share to have the stations bidding on XFL rites.  A 1.5 share is great, but it is barely enough to cover the production costs to cover the games - especially with the XFL covering the entire US map.  

The stations are ok with the ratings even as they drop, but unless the XFL comes up with a way to lessen costs - it can not survive with out a big time TV contract and the viewership is not driving that.  Maybe someone will take a shot, but my guess is this fizzles out - especially with new NFL deals coming up and the extra money the NFL is giving to the bottom tier players - the pressure is really on the XFL.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:31 PM, Rochesterfan said:

It is about TV when your TV contract pays the Bills.  The XFL has a TV contract that provides them no money.  The stations put up the risk and the money.  The XFL gets nothing from TV.  The production cost for an NFL game is huge - so although it gets significantly better ratings - it does not mean the station is making more money.  A 1.5 share for the XFL is about break even for the TV stations - I believe.

That was why Vince had to front enough cash for 2 years because the league has no real income other than game ticket sales and even that is limited by how much the venue needs to be open and running.

For the XFL to survive - they needed ratings that would allow the stations to make enough money from ads to cover production cost and then share with the league.  The original articles discussing this was looking at around a 2.0 or higher share to have the stations bidding on XFL rites.  A 1.5 share is great, but it is barely enough to cover the production costs to cover the games - especially with the XFL covering the entire US map.  

The stations are ok with the ratings even as they drop, but unless the XFL comes up with a way to lessen costs - it can not survive with out a big time TV contract and the viewership is not driving that.  Maybe someone will take a shot, but my guess is this fizzles out - especially with new NFL deals coming up and the extra money the NFL is giving to the bottom tier players - the pressure is really on the XFL.

2k6e5n.jpg