Could the XFL's Future be in Danger ?

T master

So far to this point the upstart XFL is putting out a pretty decent product i haven't watched a lot but from what i have it seems the crowds have been decent enough to help keep them going, of course they're not even close to the NFL as far as pulling in fans but that's to be expected being the first year of the league but could their existence be in jeopardy due to the health concerns around the US ? 

I read today where the Seattle team may be in danger of not having a crowd due to the fact that the mayor of Seattle (i think it is) is considering making some type of law or ordinance until the corona virus is under control that there cannot be any more than 250 people gathered for any one single event in Seattle . The XFL team in Seattle has been drawing somewhere upwards of some 20K fans at their home games so this event would come under that ordinance if enacted by the mayor .

I on one hand understand being cautious but this could doom the XFL if other cities decide to do the same ? Unless the TV contract can help keep them a float with that cash .

I'm not sure of an answer to this problem but i do know that some common sense has to be used when it comes to those that could potentially have been in contact with others that are known to have the virus . I have heard & seen some pretty foolish things people have done before and since this threat has come around .

Is there any way if this gets worse that this league the XFL will be able to stay a float ?

I've also heard that King James ? the all knowing best to ever play on a basketball court ? (sorry i have never liked that guy) has said that if there are no crowds he might not play or something to that effect but i think it's inevitable that sports all across the board will wind up suffering in some way.

I know the Preds have experienced much smaller crowds than normal & here in Smashville the Preds are a huge draw & the fans are very much into the team, they have a history & have built the fandom over the years to what it is today but being the first year of the XFL can the league with no or very little history with their small fan base survive given the circumstances ?

I hope that common sense rules over the fans & that they will take the necessary precautions to insure the safety of all people & not just fans of certain sporting events but all events, but feeling that the "It's all about me" attitude spreads further than the field or BB court that it could be the XFL could be in danger in it's second attempt at being a legit sporting attraction .

I looked 4 pages deep on the forum & didn't see anything about this so excuse me if there is i know this is everywhere & could become a concern .

Be safe Bills fans wash you hands & use precautions when out & about because this year is going to be a great year for the Bills & i'm thinking we all want to be a part of what's to come !!

2 minutes ago, T master said:

So far to this point the upstart XFL is putting out a pretty decent product i haven't watched a lot but from what i have it seems the crowds have been decent enough to help keep them going, of course they're not even close to the NFL as far as pulling in fans but that's to be expected being the first year of the league but could their existence be in jeopardy due to the health concerns around the US ? 

I read today where the Seattle team may be in danger of not having a crowd due to the fact that the mayor of Seattle (i think it is) is considering making some type of law or ordinance until the corona virus is under control that there cannot be any more than 250 people gathered for any one single event in Seattle . The XFL team in Seattle has been drawing somewhere upwards of some 20K fans at their home games so this event would come under that ordinance if enacted by the mayor .

I on one hand understand being cautious but this could doom the XFL if other cities decide to do the same ? Unless the TV contract can help keep them a float with that cash .

I'm not sure of an answer to this problem but i do know that some common sense has to be used when it comes to those that could potentially have been in contact with others that are known to have the virus . I have heard & seen some pretty foolish things people have done before and since this threat has come around .

Is there any way if this gets worse that this league the XFL will be able to stay a float ?

I've also heard that King James ? the all knowing best to ever play on a basketball court ? (sorry i have never liked that guy) has said that if there are no crowds he might not play or something to that effect but i think it's inevitable that sports all across the board will wind up suffering in some way.

I know the Preds have experienced much smaller crowds than normal & here in Smashville the Preds are a huge draw & the fans are very much into the team, they have a history & have built the fandom over the years to what it is today but being the first year of the XFL can the league with no or very little history with their small fan base survive given the circumstances ?

I hope that common sense rules over the fans & that they will take the necessary precautions to insure the safety of all people & not just fans of certain sporting events but all events, but feeling that the "It's all about me" attitude spreads further than the field or BB court that it could be the XFL could be in danger in it's second attempt at being a legit sporting attraction .

I looked 4 pages deep on the forum & didn't see anything about this so excuse me if there is i know this is everywhere & could become a concern .

Be safe Bills fans wash you hands & use precautions when out & about because this year is going to be a great year for the Bills & i'm thinking we all want to be a part of what's to come !!

...good question,.....plenty of them but no real answers......went for prime markets to gain exposure and early on, they did......seems like the novelty is wearing off like their predecessors......competition is expected or lack thereof, perhaps a boredom filler until NFL FA and draft......should they look at lesser markets with smaller venues that could perhaps be 70+% filled?......minimizing camera angles in a 1/3 capacity filled stadium is marketing or purported "fan stupidity bait"?.......long road and a tough one to haul with zero NFL support, with them riding the NCAA as their "developmental league" and zero "out of pocket expense".......

I'd say no way their TV contract could support them. NFL yes but I doubt they get much.

...Like the AAFL I have watched some casually. I think the AAFL was better football but it went under because of money. Guess it depends on how much Vince M wants to pour in to keep XFL afloat.

...NCAA  not having fans at March Madness, ya know who really gets screwed there is the vendors, ushers ticket takers. TV will still fill NCAA pockets.

• Like (+1) 1

That’s too bad. I have enjoyed watching the league.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sports is the last thing I'm worried about coming to a halt. What happens when grocery stores and public transportation stop operating?

The world's economy is going to collapse in a matter of weeks.

Are you posting this from the grocery store?

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

All this over a virus that very rarely effects kids and is not even as serious as the flu for adults under 80.

Im perplexed but such an overreaction everywhere. People are acting like this is the black plauge or somethin.

You might want to take a look at Nothern Italy....

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

All this over a virus that very rarely effects kids and is not even as serious as the flu for adults under 80.

Im perplexed but such an overreaction everywhere. People are acting like this is the black plauge or somethin.

Its all meant to tank the economy before the election, sorry if that comment belonged in PPP

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

I read somewhere there were 31 million flu cases last year in the US alone. The flu has a vaccine. COVID-19 is still in its early stages. It's spreading like the flu. Problem is there is no vaccine. It has a  death rate over 3%. That's a lot of people that will die as this spreads.

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I read somewhere there were 31 million flu cases last year in the US alone. The flu has a vaccine. COVID-19 is still in its early stages. It's spreading like the flu. Problem is there is no vaccine. It has a  death rate over 3%. That's a lot of people that will die as this spreads.

It's not really a vaccine when it only works close to  40% of the time and it all depends on which strain. That's not really a vaccine IMO, that's a gamble, but that's just me.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1