Can this crew evaluate WR's?

8 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

Did we not see it in Cam Phillips?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/10/cam-phillips-wins-third-xfl-player-of-week-honor/

Maybe it's just that sometimes they slip through the cracks. But seems like this kid has the special sauce. And the Bills couldn't see it. Measureables look good. Stats looking good in XFL.

It’s the XFL. 
And not just the Bills who didn’t see,  every other team in the league? He couldn’t stick on a practice squad? More than likely he is getting a camp invite somewhere after what he’s accomplished but also more than likely he looks so amazing because of the level of competition there. It’s possible he took a little extra time to develop but in the end I think it’s just bad defensive talent he’s facing 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/10/cam-phillips-wins-third-xfl-player-of-week-honor/

Maybe it's just that sometimes they slip through the cracks. But seems like this kid has the special sauce. And the Bills couldn't see it. Measureables look good. Stats looking good in XFL.

If this is a reflection of the Bills evaluation of WR's, is it not a reflection of all other 31 teams? It's the XFL, they are not being covered by the same caliber of DB's.

They saw him in practice everyday and if they thought he needed more time, I have no reason not to believe their evaluation. I've always liked Cam Phillips and thought he was at least a ST/ 5th receiver but I'm not a GM or coach in the NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is the same situation we ran into with Duke Williams. Duke was pretty good in the CFL and had some moments in the NFL but in the grand scheme of things he wasn't that impactful for us. 

Cam has been brought in, IIRC, for two training camps and hasn't been able to break through our lackluster receiving corp.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

I share some questions about our ability to evaluate WR, but Cam Phillips doesn't factor into those questions for me based upon XFL play.

Arguments for:
Cole Beasley

John Brown

Dawson Knox, despite the dropsies has shown some real flashes

Arguments against:

Zay Jones

Kelvin Benjamin

Tyler Kroft (gets an incomplete because of foot, but not impactful relative to signing)

Neutral:

McKensie

Duke Williams

Robert Foster

(all have made some contributions relative to investment in them)

• Thank you (+1) 2

Cam is great in the XFL because he doesnt have to get vertical.  He can get underneath while Walker 7 yard passes you to death.   He just doesnt have the speed or strength  to be worthy of being on the field in the NFL.  He offers you nothing in the way of explosive plays.   If he could play special teams he probably be a roster-able player in the slot, but he doesn't so instead he plays in the D League.   He probably will get a training camp invite, and will end up getting cut again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

Man, how did I not have you on ignore up to now...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, sunshynman said:

college stats looked good too. I’m not sure what this means about ability to play in the NFL

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I share some questions about our ability to evaluate WR, but Cam Phillips doesn't factor into those questions for me based upon XFL play.

Arguments for:
Cole Beasley

John Brown

Dawson Knox, despite the dropsies has shown some real flashes

Arguments against:

Zay Jones

Kelvin Benjamin

Tyler Kroft (gets an incomplete because of foot, but not impactful relative to signing)

Neutral:

McKensie

Duke Williams

Robert Foster

(all have made some contributions relative to investment in them)

I’d only counter by saying that Beasley and Brown were sought after FAs who have had devious success in the league.  The KB trade is even worse because they saw him in Carolina when he was fat there.  The Zay move is even worse because they traded up instead of staying put and taking JuJu or Kupp.  They also traded Sammy and tried to replace him with Jordan “Garbage” Matthews. They also “blew” late round picks on Ray Ray and their friend’s kid. 

im not freaking out about Phillips.  But there are some real questions about their offensive personal evaluation.  Blindly trust them on defense, especially in the secondary.  Very vary of their offensive scouting, especially at receiver.  Given this is their biggest need, it’s a valid concern. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s the XFL. 
And not just the Bills who didn’t see,  every other team in the league? He couldn’t stick on a practice squad? More than likely he is getting a camp invite somewhere after what he’s accomplished but also more than likely he looks so amazing because of the level of competition there. It’s possible he took a little extra time to develop but in the end I think it’s just bad defensive talent he’s facing 

Agreed.  Cam Phillips is talented, has great hands and will fight for the ball, but he's slower than a lot of defensive linemen.  Against NFL DBs he won't get open nearly as often, and he's not going to out run anybody.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sunshynman said:

Maybe we should wait until he plays against NFL competition.... and not against a defensive secondary that couldn’t make an NFL roster.  

I remember when the Bills activated Cam Phillips in 2018.  He did ok but was hardly a dominating WR.  He looked like a player on the fringe of making an NFL roster. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’d only counter by saying that Beasley and Brown were sought after FAs who have had devious success in the league.  The KB trade is even worse because they saw him in Carolina when he was fat there.  The Zay move is even worse because they traded up instead of staying put and taking JuJu or Kupp.  They also traded Sammy and tried to replace him with Jordan “Garbage” Matthews. They also “blew” late round picks on Ray Ray and their friend’s kid. 

im not freaking out about Phillips.  But there are some real questions about their offensive personal evaluation.  Blindly trust them on defense, especially in the secondary.  Very vary of their offensive scouting, especially at receiver.  Given this is their biggest need, it’s a valid concern. 

To be fair, the only one still left from the administration that traded up for Zay was McDermott.  In hindsight this was terrible pick....at the time, it still probably wasn’t a great move.  Still Zay had a really productive college career and was know for having....sure hands.  LOL

While this was a mistake the GM, front office, entire scouting and most of the offensive coaching staff is new. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The XFL as a league primarily comprised of guys who by and large are bad at football, everyone knows this.  So any player that stands out has to be judged in that context. Cam is a marginal PS level player that hasn’t been able to  stick on any PS. 
   Comparatively,  look at Duke Williams, he has been better, and has a good catch percentage, and a game winning TD catch, and he is considered to be depth at the WR position. So Cam has a long row to hoe, he may get camp invites, but so far he he has not shown to be so good. 

6 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Maybe we should wait until he plays against NFL competition.... and not against a defensive secondary that couldn’t make an NFL roster.  

I remember when the Bills activated Cam Phillips in 2018.  He did ok but was hardly a dominating WR.  He looked like a player on the fringe of making an NFL roster. 

To be fair, the only one still left from the administration that traded up for Zay was McDermott.  In hindsight this was terrible pick....at the time, it still probably wasn’t a great move.  Still Zay had a really productive college career and was know for having....sure hands.  LOL

While this was a mistake the GM, front office, entire scouting and most of the offensive coaching staff is new. 

That’s fair. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1