ESPN - Bills Best and Worst FA Signings Over Past 5 Years

_end_rule.png

Agree or disagree?

AFC East

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Buffalo Bills

Best free-agent signing: S Jordan Poyer. You also could make an argument for fellow safety Micah Hyde, but the production Buffalo has gotten from Poyer far exceeds the bargain contract he signed in 2017 (four years, $12.5 million). Together with Hyde, Poyer has changed the identity of the Bills' defense.

Worst free-agent signing: DT Star Lotulelei. Both general manager Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott will insist Lotulelei is more valuable than he gets credit for -- and they're probably right. But they also essentially admitted their error in giving him a five-year, $50 million contract in 2018 by restructuring his deal this offseason. Lotulelei is a space-eater who makes life easier for his teammates, but that alone is probably not worth $10 million per year. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Mmmm I'd go Hyde as best and either Benjamin or Davis as worst lmao

KB was even worse, we gave up #3 a pick, right? Biggest mistake of this regime so far I think,  but it happens. I won’t harp on one single move. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A guy who is still on the team and contributing is the worst? Probably have to go with someone who isn't here any more.

Andre Holmes? Vlad Ducasse? Maybe Jerome Felton or Percy Harvin from the previous regime.

24 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Benjamin was a trade.

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

KB was even worse, we gave up #3 a pick, right? Biggest mistake of this regime so far I think,  but it happens. I won’t harp on one single move. 

Yeah, so not a Free Agent signing.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 7

If star is the worst, we're doing damn well. Don't understand the hate. Harrison gets hurt, we bring in a rookie, jordan, peko, corey. Star is the only stable interior player we've had the last 2 years. On a top 5 defense to boot.

Marcel Louis-Jaques is an idiot.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I feel like there has to be a few bad ones from 2015 and/or 2016. The entire team was run much less effectively under Whaley and Rex.

Yeah. Like Percy Harvin. Of course, that wasn't a high risk signing.

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

If star is the worst, we're doing damn well. Don't understand the hate. Harrison gets hurt, we bring in a rookie, jordan, peko, corey. Star is the only stable interior player we've had the last 2 years. On a top 5 defense to boot.

I think he was fair and spot on. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I think he was fair and spot on. 

I think there are far worse signings to consider the past 5 years. Star is on the team and contributing and is a key member of the defensive line rotation. I would submit Vlad Ducasse as a worse signing because he sucked so bad.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I think there are far worse signings to consider the past 5 years. Star is on the team and contributing and is a key member of the defensive line rotation. I would submit Vlad Ducasse as a worse signing because he sucked so bad.

It’s debatable, sure. Guys like Ducasse and Davis made far less money. That’s not what makes them worse or better though. 

The writer described the Star situation pretty accurately. The reason that signing was bad is that it was fundamentally unsound. You don’t pay a space eater that kind of money. It would be easy to argue that this is the only

time Beane made that kind of mistake.

You can see the intentions of the other signings, with Star it always felt like the inevitable overpay that didn’t need to happen. This was discussed here before Star’s last season ended in Carolina. 

Beane is doing a heck of a job but I think he learned a bit on this one. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Dopey said:

If the Bills cut Star today, no one picks him up.

• Haha (+1) 6

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

As others pointed out, not a free agent signing.  But also, we broke the 17 year drought because of that trade.  We don’t win a couple games without him that year, especially snow game.  So we got value out of it, snapping a 17 year drought with a new regime in what was expected to be a rebuilding year went a long way towards changing the culture here.  So I’m fine with the value we got back with that third.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As others pointed out, not a free agent signing.  But also, we broke the 17 year drought because of that trade.  We don’t win a couple games without him that year, especially snow game.  So we got value out of it, snapping a 17 year drought with a new regime in what was expected to be a rebuilding year went a long way towards changing the culture here.  So I’m fine with the value we got back with that third.  

He did make a handful of plays, and we did end the drought. Still, I think even Beane and McD expected more for a 3rd round pick. He was fat, lazy and apparently disinterested. It took Zay, of ALL people, to tell him where to line up.  It was great to make the playoffs, and he did help make that happen, but I can’t call it a win for the Bills. Just one guy’s opinion. 

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

_end_rule.png

Agree or disagree?

AFC East

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Buffalo Bills

Best free-agent signing: S Jordan Poyer. You also could make an argument for fellow safety Micah Hyde, but the production Buffalo has gotten from Poyer far exceeds the bargain contract he signed in 2017 (four years, $12.5 million). Together with Hyde, Poyer has changed the identity of the Bills' defense.

Worst free-agent signing: DT Star Lotulelei. Both general manager Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott will insist Lotulelei is more valuable than he gets credit for -- and they're probably right. But they also essentially admitted their error in giving him a five-year, $50 million contract in 2018 by restructuring his deal this offseason. Lotulelei is a space-eater who makes life easier for his teammates, but that alone is probably not worth $10 million per year. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

OK the STAR hate is getting a little stupid now......

Easily the worst FA signing was Kelvin Benjamin.....EASILY

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If the Bills cut Star today, no one picks him up.

Oh I am in on that bet

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Benjamin was a trade, not a FA signing

For a FA signing, Vontae Davis or Anquan Boldin would have to be worst in terms of contribution, but they may be looking at it as value on the playing field / $$ paid

• Like (+1) 1