Lions to let Graham Glasgow hit free agency

jkx2

57 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think Beane would look to keep Spain before signing him given Spain has a year in our system and with the other lineman already here.  

But if we lose Spain to a bigger offer, he would be a good target to replace him.

Glasgow is a huge upgrade over Spain who is a weakness.

Edited by Turk71

Per Joe B at the Athletic:     https://theathletic.com/1657224/2020/03/10/film-study-offensive-linemen-the-bills-should-consider-in-free-agency/

Strengths: When you read up on Graham Glasgow, you’ll see that he didn’t receive all snaps last year because the Detroit Lions wanted their backup guard to be warmed up and ready in the event of an injury. Though, after watching Glasgow on film, it’s hard to understand why they would ever take him off the field. His consistency from snap to snap is hard to come by in today’s NFL. He plays with power and strength that can hold up at the point of attack against impact defensive tackles, and as a run blocker, he looks to maul the player in front of him. On pulls, he gets out of his stance and looks for his target in a seek-and-destroy mission. He’s good on blitz pickup, reacts to stunts well and is always looking for work when he isn’t busy in pass protection. He also shows enough athleticism to get out in front of screens. Glasgow started at right guard almost exclusively in 2019, but also has plenty of experience at left guard and center throughout his career in Detroit.

Weaknesses: Trying to find bad reps from Glasgow in 2019 proves to be a challenging exercise. When he does struggle, it’s usually because he’s going against defenders who move well from side-to-side. As a pass blocker, a stutter step to speed move got the better of him, but typically he recovered well enough to keep the defender out of the backfield. As a run blocker, if he whiffed on the first block, he lost his way in the second level on some reps. Most of this is nitpicking, however.

How he would fit the Bills: If they wanted to continue to develop Ford at right tackle, Glasgow is everything the Bills could want at guard. He is tough and versatile, is capable of pulling on run plays and rarely misses snaps due to injury. If he plays at a similar level, he would step in and be one of the best offensive linemen on the roster. Turning 28 this summer, he likely has a few more prime seasons remaining. The way Detroit used Glasgow makes him a deceiving commodity on the market, but if he’s anything close to the level of player he showed, he should do quite well in free agency. That might put him out of the Bills’ price range. If not, the Bills should strongly consider signing Glasgow and walking away from Spencer Long’s contract to free up cap space.

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Gambit said:

Why is he being released? Seems kinda odd if he was their best lineman.

Quentin Nelson is their best linemen. I think they don’t want to pay two guards top dollar. Glasgow is a very good guard though, I hope we target him in free agency. Plug him in at LG, draft a RT and Ford goes into RG. Boom, we got a top 5-7 OL.

16 hours ago, Gambit said:

Why is he being released? Seems kinda odd if he was their best lineman.

I don't know Detroit's cap situation, but if they are not attempting to re-sign Glasgow, it is due to cap constraints.

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Quentin Nelson is their best linemen. I think they don’t want to pay two guards top dollar. Glasgow is a very good guard though, I hope we target him in free agency. Plug him in at LG, draft a RT and Ford goes into RG. Boom, we got a top 5-7 OL.

Quentin Nelson plays for the Colts. Are you thinking of someone else?

Glasgow is definitely a "process" guy who would be a great fit in Buffalo.  He was a walk-on at Michigan, earned a scholarship, became a starter and is now a successful NFL player.  Interestingly, his 2 brothers also walked on at Michigan and earned scholarships.  One of the brothers in in the NFL now (I think) and the other one just graduated and has a shot at an NFL roster, likely as a late round pick or UDFA.  All high-character guys.  Great family with a huge grocery bill when all 3 were in the house.

7 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Glasgow is definitely a "process" guy who would be a great fit in Buffalo.  He was a walk-on at Michigan, earned a scholarship, became a starter and is now a successful NFL player.  Interestingly, his 2 brothers also walked on at Michigan and earned scholarships.  One of the brothers in in the NFL now (I think) and the other one just graduated and has a shot at an NFL roster, likely as a late round pick or UDFA.  All high-character guys.  Great family with a huge grocery bill when all 3 were in the house.

Mrs Glasgow, is that you?

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

He's very pedestrian. Solid depth, though. He may have been better once, but m'eh. We need a couple big upgrades on the OL. Gimme Scherff and Thuney.

That's a bit of an undersell on Glasgow. He was a top ten player at his position last year.

Edited by BillsFan17