Step right up  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Was the proper result of the 2nd half opening kickoff

• - a Bills TD
    • - a Bills safety
    • - a Texans touchback

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No need to kneel

If a ball gets to the end zone and touches the ground, it’s an automatic touchback. There’s no need for a player to pick it up and kneel, or even catch a ball if it’s headed for the end zone and they don’t intend to return it.

This is a small time saver, but the goal is to blow a play dead earlier so that unnecessary collisions don’t happen. Under the previous rules, a player could take their time gathering a ball and kneeling while the coverage team and return team blockers still careened toward each other for no reason.

That's when the ball gets to the end zone and touches the ground when no one catches it. "...

There’s no need for a player to pick it up and kneel, or even catch a ball if it’s headed for the end zone..."

In this instance, the player caught it, so he has to down it or run.

If a Texans player had picked it up and ran, they would've kept the play going.

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

All the ref had to do was catch the ball, just like is common in today NFL returners catch the ball and lob it to the ref.

Interesting! Do you have any examples of this common occurrence of players catching the ball on kickoffs and throwing it at the ref without taking a knee first?

36 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

All the ref had to do was catch the ball, just like is common in today NFL returners catch the ball and lob it to the ref.

You're making this up for the sake of this thread.

It's not common at all for a player to do what the Texans returner did. It is common for the player to catch the ball and do a quick kneel. Or just signal the fair catch. Maybe that is what you're thinking of. They signal the fair catch and toss it to the ref.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Interesting! Do you have any examples of this common occurrence of players catching the ball on kickoffs and throwing it at the ref without taking a knee first?

Why are we doing this to ourselves again?

You like reliving the agony?

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That's when the ball gets to the end zone and touches the ground when no one catches it. "...

There’s no need for a player to pick it up and kneel, or even catch a ball if it’s headed for the end zone..."

In this instance, the player caught it, so he has to down it or run.

If a Texans player had picked it up and ran, they would've kept the play going.

Mike Pereira, the NFL’s former vice president of officiating, backed up the call being change. “Didn’t see what happened on the touchback in the end zone but even if you don’t down it, tossing the ball to the official or dropping the ball intentionally ends the play,” Pereira wrote on Twitter. “You are deemed to have given yourself up.”

I guess i will chose to believe Pereira.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Why are you asking a question you have already received the answer to, I have already gone though that with you about 10 times in Shoutbox, 

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You're making this up for the sake of this thread.

It's not common at all for a player to do what the Texans returner did. It is common for the player to catch the ball and do a quick kneel. Or just signal the fair catch. Maybe that is what you're thinking of. They signal the fair catch and toss it to the ref.

Why are we doing this to ourselves again?

You like reliving the agony?

This is part of the grieving process.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Mike Pereira, the NFL’s former vice president of officiating, backed up the call being change. “Didn’t see what happened on the touchback in the end zone but even if you don’t down it, tossing the ball to the official or dropping the ball intentionally ends the play,” Pereira wrote on Twitter. “You are deemed to have given yourself up.”

I guess i will chose to believe Pereira.

Show the rule.

You can choose to believe the earth is flat. Doesn't make it correct.

• Like (+1) 1

Like most fans, I watch football for the officiating.  I would prefer playoff games to be decided by Robert's Rules of Order and leaving the players out of it entirely.

The reality is that not one single person would be complaining about this had the official simply signaled a touchback in the first place instead of being an idiot and deciding to over-officiate.  Instead, you get an entire off-season of whining from people who would rather determine the outcome of games based on technicalities (never mind that if the teams had been reversed, they'd immediately take the opposite position).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

If it was a common thing to do, the ref would've not been surprised by it, lol.

On a side note, I love the transparency of the XFL. No turning the mic off when discussing a ruling. No need to.

Common, no not common, never happened before, yest it has.  NFL has bent over backwards to make kickoffs as benign as possible and this is a reflection of it, returner gave himself up.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Do you have any examples of it ever being called something other than a touchback?  Seems that would make more sense than asking someone to prove a negative.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Do you have any examples of it ever being called something other than a touchback?  Seems that would make more sense than asking someone to prove a negative.

The point, obviously, is that it's not a common occurrence. In fact, you won't be able to find another example of a return man catching a kickoff and throwing it to the ref without first taking a knee. In this case I'm asking you to prove a positive.

Just now, whorlnut said:

OP...just let it go...

No thank you

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

I still want to know what the replacement officials were doing getting involved with this ruling.

To my knowledge they had no business being a part of the game unless another official was injured.

I found that rather odd as well. 

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Show the rule.

You can choose to believe the earth is flat. Doesn't make it correct.

And you can be sarcastic and demand i show you the rule or accept what a former VP of NFL's former VP officiating says.  If you want to prove how incorrect i am, you go look up the rule.  

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I also found it odd that no replay was undertaken although NFL rules demand video replay for all turnovers and scoring plays, both of which this kickoff fulfilled.

Completely incorrect.  This was ruled a touchback which is neither a turnover nor a scoring play.

Edited by Billl