BUF-HOU Playoff Redux: 2nd Half Kickoff

Step right up  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Was the proper result of the 2nd half opening kickoff

• - a Bills TD
    • - a Bills safety
    • - a Texans touchback

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

After the fact, looking at the interpretations and such, IMO it should have been a safety.  

With that said, I do not blame the loss on that, nor think anyone went out of the way to screw the Bills over.  

Noted

thank you for your participation

I have a question for everyone who says he was "obviously" giving himself up.

(I know it wasn't), but what if it was a trick play by Houston... and they had another player come around and scoop up the ball he threw to the ground and ran it back (some distance or the whole way), because our KO team stopped playing.

If that happened, do you think they still would have called the ball dead for a touchback?

Rules are rules. He didn't follow protocol. Call should have stood as on field.

Edited by BuffaloBillies
  • Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 minute ago, fl az fan said:

Everyone I talked to knew he was giving himself up. Did he do it by the rules of the game, no. But the intent was obvious JMO

I just wonder what happens if he is in his "giving up stance", the ref is saying 'no!' and holding his hand up.... and the returner decides to streak up the field and score a touchdown.  

That could happen, and IMO would count.  That is what the fair catch signal and taking a knee are for.  To cut the gray area.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When a fumble goes out of bounds in the end zone, the following shall apply:

1. If a ball is fumbled in the field of play, and goes forward into the opponent’s end zone and over the end line or sideline, a touchback is awarded to the defensive team; or
  2. If a ball is fumbled in a team’s own end zone or in the field of play and goes out of bounds in the end zone, it is a safety, if that team provided the impetus that sent the ball into the end zone (See 11-5-1 for exception for momentum). If the impetus was provided by the opponent, it is a touchback.

so by rule it should have been a safety.  we still should have won the game but those extra 2 points and the ball could have ended things right then and there I believe.  

5 minutes ago, fl az fan said:

Everyone I talked to knew he was giving himself up. Did he do it by the rules of the game, no. But the intent was obvious JMO

If the game of football was played based on intent, there would never need to be a game. 

• Like (+1) 3

For further investigation, here is the play in it's entirety:

Near the end you can hear Joe Tessitore, renowned football expert and judge of the human condition, exclaim his satisfaction with 'common sense' prevailing. 

Note: the rule on all turnovers and scoring plays is video replay review to overturn. Additionally, the ruling on the field immediately after the ball is recovered by Jaquan Johnson a touchdown as signaled by the official in the endzone.

Illegal forward pass in the end zone.  Safety.  

Player's intention is irrelevant.   Player's lack of knowledge of the rules is irrelevant.  

Guy running free downfield, in celebration drops the ball and raises his arms before crossing the goal line.   It's a fumble, intention doesn't matter.  

Before the rule change, guy doesn't touch the kickoff and it's rolling freely in the end zone.  Kicking team recovers.  Touchdown, intention doesn't matter.   

Quarterback under pressure throws deep up the left sideline.   About the time the QB releases the ball, the receiver, having misread the defense breaks off the route and crosses the field.   Intentional grounding, intention doesn't matter.   Yes, even "intentional" grounding, intention doesn't matter.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillies said:

I have no idea how it would ever be a safety.

It's either a TD or touchback.

because its technically an illegal forward pass in the endzone I think which is why it would be considered a safety

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, BuffaloBillies said:

I have no idea how it would ever be a safety.

It's either a TD or touchback.

If you listen to the ref, his mic is hot when he starts conversing with the replacement ref in black...he starts saying (I think) 'So we've got an illegal forward pass...' and then he turns off his mic. 

A penalty by the offense in the endzone is an automatic safety.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1