Raiders release starting linebacker Tahir Whitehead

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Las Vegas Raiders released linebacker Tahir Whitehead on Monday, clearing $6.25 million in salary cap space in advance of free agency, which begins next week.

As such, the Raiders now have more than $53.9 million in cap room, 11th most in the NFL. Whitehead, who turns 30 on April 2, started all 32 games for the Raiders the past two seasons after signing with the team as a free agent following six seasons with the Detroit Lions.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28872804/raiders-release-starting-linebacker-tahir-whitehead

And while he had 108 combined tackles last season, the fourth straight year he had more than 100 tackles, Whitehead's 941 defensive snaps last season were the most in the NFL for any linebacker who failed to record a sack, an interception, a fumble recovery or a forced fumble, according to research by the Associated Press.

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Las Vegas Raiders released linebacker Tahir Whitehead on Monday, clearing $6.25 million in salary cap space in advance of free agency, which begins next week.

As such, the Raiders now have more than $53.9 million in cap room, 11th most in the NFL. Whitehead, who turns 30 on April 2, started all 32 games for the Raiders the past two seasons after signing with the team as a free agent following six seasons with the Detroit Lions.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28872804/raiders-release-starting-linebacker-tahir-whitehead

And while he had 108 combined tackles last season, the fourth straight year he had more than 100 tackles, Whitehead's 941 defensive snaps last season were the most in the NFL for any linebacker who failed to record a sack, an interception, a fumble recovery or a forced fumble, according to research by the Associated Press.

Whitehead would be a quality depth signing if we could get him to come here. He is excellent against the run, but meh in pass coverage. 

• Like (+1) 1

I really wanted him when he hit FA 2 years ago. Now, not so much. Why pay a 2-down ILB decent money when you can draft one who does the same thing. Shaq Quarterman, our first pre-draft visit, is the same type of player.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No thanks, he’s Brandon Spikes

Interesting. I'm not that familiar with him, but all the sites have him listed as OLB.

No way he could fill the LorAx spot in your opinion? Just curious.

"Whitehead was primarily an edge rusher at Temple." "Whitehead as the league's 13th-best LB against the run among 99 qualified players in 2019."

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Interesting. I'm not that familiar with him, but all the sites have him listed as OLB.

No way he could fill the LorAx spot in your opinion? Just curious.

"Whitehead was primarily an edge rusher at Temple." "Whitehead as the league's 13th-best LB against the run among 99 qualified players in 2019."

I meant it in that he’s a run stuffer that can’t cover. I think that’s a tough spot in McDermott’s defense personally. I’d think that they would want someone rangier.