Bills pre-draft private visits - update: via videoconference

15 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Would this mean the entire offseason will also be delayed? And possibly the season?

Postponing would be a terrible decision and for what benefit?   People will watch it on TV if it's done with all parties workly remotely.   In fact, given there is nothing else live on TV, they would get record ratings.

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The limited access makes the draft very compelling.  This offseason really puts in question the whole pre draft process for the athletes.  Are the individual workouts nessesary? 

The draft is going to be so intriguing. I know that teams value the individual workouts and meetings. But the most prepared and in-synch scouting departments will win this draft. 

Although Pro Day workouts and private workouts and visits to team facilities can’t happen prior to the 2020 draft, teams can still spend plenty of time talking to prospects.

According to the NFL, teams may contact an unlimited number of incoming rookies up to three teams per week, for up to one hour at a time. The communications may be in the form of phone calls or videoconferences, and the only requirement is that the not conflict with a player’s school work.

Given that most players are no longer in school and given that most schools have switched to online learning, few if any communications would potentially conflict with classwork.

While hardly a perfect replacement for meeting players in person, a lot can be learned by talking to them for up to three hours per week in advance of the draft — including whether and to what extent they are reliable or punctual when the time comes to make or receive a phone call.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DJB said:

If anything this unlimited  chats will likely give way more info than if they only had one visit or an informal meeting. 

If it is anything like jobs (and some previous coaches we have hired) good talkers will have an advantage even if not more effective player.

I worked a job where new boss decided it was best to pair people and he picked the pairs.  Was paired with a new guy who was great talker but could not do a damn thing on job and I needed to carry load of 2.  Later on there was a reduction in force & I was let go with professional loaf - I was the one who got them the contract.  Fast forward a number years later I am hired for a system admin job and was told that were hiring two and I was told the name of other best candidate and it was my ex-coworker.  Told new boss I would not take job if I was put into workgroup with him and I was assured I would not.  He lasted less than a week and I did work I was credited for on patent.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The draft is going to be so intriguing. I know that teams value the individual workouts and meetings. But the most prepared and in-synch scouting departments will win this draft. 

I understand the teams like it.  In terms of the prospects they can be over barring.  Years past, every year there are fringe first day, fringe second day and third day prospect who get hurt in a workout.  Some go undrafted, some fall multiple rounds just from the injury and ability to be ready for training camp.  

Unless they didnt compete at the combine or pro day I dont see any purpose for it.  Meet with the kid, vet him, watch film.  His measureables line up?  Move along.  Multiple workouts a weeks without proper recovery is pointless.