Jason Peters - Bet He's A Tackle Soon

Mark VI

He's a great athlete. Whether he can progress from a Phonics book to a Playbook is his biggest obstacle. The Practice squad is perfect for him. With Jennings testing the FA market after this season, we need more bodies at OT than aging Marcus Price and raw Dylan McFarland. I believe Price is a FA also, now that I think of it. He could probably be re-signed to a reasonable contract for a couple years, as a solid transition option.

Getting Peters to work with McNally may be a minor blip at present but may be a wise long term plan that should start soon. We don't need any more TE's. We need Tackles for 2005. Bet we pick at least 2 next April. Get Peters some work at Tackle now, not just McFarland.

After Schobel signed the big contract today, I just can't see "Ol' Whitey :doh: " throwing huge $$ at Jennings.

He's a great athlete. Whether he can progress from a Phonics book to a Playbook is his biggest obstacle. The Practice squad is perfect for him. With Jennings testing the FA market after this season, we need more bodies at OT than aging Marcus Price and raw Dylan McFarland. I believe Price is a FA also, now that I think of it. He could probably be re-signed to a reasonable contract for a couple years, as a solid transition option.

Getting Peters to work with McNally may be a minor blip at present but may be a wise long term plan that should start soon. We don't need any more TE's. We need Tackles for 2005. Bet we pick at least 2 next April. Get Peters some work at Tackle now, not just McFarland. 

After Schobel signed the big contract today, I just can't see "Ol' Whitey  :doh: " throwing huge $$ at Jennings.

22756[/snapback]

Well, I think you're right about the last statement. It all depends on how much Jennings wants to stay in Buffalo, and if he's willing to take something less than top dollar for a LT. Somehow I doubt he will want to stay, but what do I know. I would like to see Jennings stay, but that would almost certainly mean Phat Pat is gone. On the other hand, if Jennings goes, we may be able to keep Phat Pat if he's willing to work with TD on the money issue.

As for Peters, I just don't know if the kid can make the transition to a tackle. He might, but then all we would likely have is, at best, an average backup tackle. I can't see him excelling so much at tackle that he could become a starter, could you? On the other hand, if he really works hard at the TE spot, and he somehow figures it out, he could become a real force at that position. A guy his size who can move the way he does, block well, and catch the ball? Now that's a TE I'd like to see starting.

After Schobel signed the big contract today, I just can't see "Ol' Whitey  :doh: " throwing huge $$ at Jennings.

22756[/snapback]

I'm not sure. LT is the most technical position on the line and Peters apparent weakness is informational. That doesn't translate well.

Another solution: See how Euhus and Neufeld shake out over the coming year. If you have 2 successors to Mark Campbell, you have trade bait for a LT who's actually played that position. Bring a well-tutored Peters in as backup TE.

If Jennings is gone you can expect to see Teague or Price playing tackle next year.  Remember Teague signed here thinking he was going to play LT.

22785[/snapback]

That's why Teague got the 2 Mil bonus. Versatility. He has improved more than anyone from last season. He definitely can play Tackle..how well is another story but at least he has played the position.

In a pinch, I suppose they could slide Teague outside and put in Tucker at Center.

The word i heard out of camp was that Peters showed, soft hands, great speed for a big guy and that the pass-catching part of TE was his forte. However, it was the blocking part of the activity and the mental aspects of co-ordinating with his linemates which was the weak part of his game.

Anyone else hear this or is there some other credible skinny or public statements about where he needs work. If these problems are his focus, he does not sound like a good candidate for tackle in my book, particularly with responsibility for the QBs blindside.

The word i heard out of camp was that Peters showed, soft hands, great speed for a big guy and that the pass-catching part of TE was his forte.  However, it was the blocking part of the activity and the mental aspects of co-ordinating with his linemates which was the weak part of his game.

Anyone else hear this or is there some other credible skinny or public statements about where he needs work.  If these problems are his focus, he does not sound like a good candidate for tackle in my book, particularly with responsibility for the QBs blindside.

23214[/snapback]

I also heard that blocking is the biggest liability with his game. If this is the case, a move to tackle seems unlikely. If the scenario was they other way around, where he couldn't catch and was slow as mollasses, but a great blocker, the move to the OL would seem more likely.