Bills sign Josh Norman

40 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Considering that top guys get 15m an established vet getting 6m with bonuses is good value.

Or....as the great Pat Summerall would say......"that's True...................................................................................................................................................value".

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Kinda like they knew Benjamin?

Remember when they cut him midseason because he was slacking? The organization is no BS

17 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Anyone know how this signing affects comp picks? 

He was cut, so it has no affect. The comp picks only matter for players with expiring contracts

Either Beane & McDermott:

1) Watched film of last year and decided he could still perform well in our system

or

2) Read about his availability (probably here), pressed Caps Lock and said, "I'VE HEARD OF HIM!  LET'S GET THIS GUY!  SUPERBOWL!"

I may be wrong, but I'm inclined to believe they watched film.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Most likely not much risk associated with this and probably not much guaranteed either...which is why there are incentives built in.  If he doesn't do well, Bills can cut him out of training camp with no real risk involved.  If he does do well, Bills will have a good player.  

It's a prove it deal and if he isn't looking good - I think the Bills will leave him on the bench or have him come in on certain situations.  The Bills have a lot of options on how to use him - and Washington is a clown show franchise right now - many guys on that team are preserving themselves for their next contract opportunity elsewhere.

I’m not as completely satisfied with Kevin Johnson as most Bills are.  I thought he did ok in stretches but like Levi Wallace, struggled a bit at times.  He also didn’t have a great game in the playoffs.   So anyone lamenting at a possible Johnson loss is a bit overblown  IMO. 

As far as Norman - there’s no doubt he has been bad the last few years.  But you have to think that the the Bills scouting department and McDermott know know what they are doing.  Also you have to take into account that he’ll be joining a veteran secondary and playing in scheme he knows well and has excelled in.

Worst case scenario - he gets outplayed by Wallace and another CB and doesn’t make it through training camp.  The Bills lose a few million that won’t come close to making or breaking their cap situation.  

Let’s see how this plays out

• Like (+1) 5

45 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

He will have to compete to be CB2.  He very will could be behind Levi Wallace and who knows who else we sign and draft.

I have no issues with the signing as it is really just a depth signing.  The money is totally irrelevant as it is a one year deal and begins to provide depth before FA begins.

They didn't just give him 6 million to be behind Wallace.  They signed him because of Wallace...

30 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

A lot less than what? “Up to $6M in incentives” doesn’t tell you much 

Would think there is a decent amount of money tied to active roster bonuses per game.  Nice low risk signing for a guy who will finally return to the scheme he was elite in.  Even though he is older now, he should be able to fill in as needed on the outside.  I am a fan of this one.

• Like (+1) 3