Bills sign Josh Norman

23 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

He will be CB2 here not CB1 like Washington tried to make him.

He will have to compete to be CB2.  He very will could be behind Levi Wallace and who knows who else we sign and draft.

I have no issues with the signing as it is really just a depth signing.  The money is totally irrelevant as it is a one year deal and begins to provide depth before FA begins.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mattynh said:

This regime loves one year deals.   Which Seems like a good strategy 

I agree that it is smart strategy.

You cannot fill all your holes in one offseason via the draft. Filling in with cheap-ish vets allows them to focus elsewhere for another year until the value matches up. 

• Like (+1) 3

Low risk.  High reward.

There was a time not very long ago that Josh Norman was among the league's best cornerbacks.  But when he moved to Washington, it became clear that he was a scheme-dependent player.  The guy was fantastic in zone.  He was terrible in man.  The good news is, we play mostly zone coverage and Sean McDermott was the defensive coordinator that got the most out of Norman. 

Hopefully this doesn't stop us from bringing back Kevin Johnson, because we could really use depth at the position.  With Tre White, Levi Wallace, Norman and K.Johnson on the outside, then Taron Johnson at the nickel spot, we could completely wipe Cornerback off our needs list.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He’s familiar with the system

has played at a high level under this system

He played poorly the past two years playing more man-to-man which is not his forte

More often than not McD brings out the best in DB’s

He is only 32 years old, not injury prone (fingers crossed) so he should still be able to play a physically high level on this 1 year deal.

The Bills were not going to spend cash to cap, they have the money and it won’t alter their FA strategy

• Like (+1) 1

This is a fantastic pick up.  Yes, he was awful with the Redskins.  But come on, it was the Redskins.  I don't think anyone really wanted to play there.  Horrible coach, horrible organization.  McD said it himself.  "Here in Buffalo, you will be the best version of yourself."  I firmly believe that and he'll get the most out of Norman.  I think Norman will be excited to play again and we will get the most out of him.  If not, he'll enjoy the bench.  McD has shown that he's smart enough to pull players or rotate them when they're not performing as expected.  For the doubters out there, be patient and be optimistic.  Our FO knows what they're doing.

• Like (+1) 5

I’m a little amazed how negative some of these comments are. This hurts NOTHING. 
It’s only a year, he was a very effective zone corner, Levi and Taron are still here, and it’s not like they won’t add more guys to the competition. Norman has never been overly athletic but the dude has instincts. What is the worst case scenario? He backs up Levi? 
Or he’s depth if they sign someone who can steal Levi’s job? Beane covers all angles, low risk signing just in case he can’t get what he really wants later. Kinda like Kroft last year. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m a little amazed how negative some of these comments are. This hurts NOTHING. 
It’s only a year, he was a very effective zone corner, Levi and Taron are still here, and it’s not like they won’t add more guys to the competition. Norman has never been overly athletic but the dude has instincts. What is the worst case scenario? He backs up Levi? 
Or he’s depth if they sign someone who can steal Levi’s job? Beane covers all angles, low risk signing just in case he can’t get what he really wants later. Kinda like Kroft last year. 

It’s ok to not like a signing of a aging veteran without being labeled negative. Fan debate is part of the sport landscape. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Anyone know how this signing affects comp picks? 

I don't think it counts in the formula.  However, with as much money and holes as the Bills have, I dont expect to get comp picks from this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Haha...I almost brought it up!

He’s not a CFA, so he doesn’t count toward the formula for Buffalo.

Neither do RFAs FWIW, so let’s get those offer sheets for Feiler and Breida ready!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Comp pick formula only factors in players who play out their deals.

Norman was cut and thus does not count in the formula. We could also sign any number of guys who were cut and it doesn't factor in.