Bills sign Josh Norman

12 hours ago, Turk71 said:

What is Kevin Johnson expected to get in free agency? I thought he was pretty good this year and wonder if they will try to bring him back. He is only 27 and was actually one of the better cbs in the league last year. Norman was literally one of the very worst. Is Johnson gonna get paid more than 8 mil a year? 

Their stats when targeted last season:

Johnson: 79.8 passer rtg, 6.8 yds/tgt,

0 td allowed, 44 targets, 59% comp. 0 int.

Norman: 129.0 passer rtg, 9.7 yds/tgt, 

7 td allowed, 46 targets, 67% comp. 1 int.

Johnson knows the defense and has already shown he can do his job well. I am hoping the Norman signing is more of an insurance and not the main plan.

I would be dissapointed if we didnt bring back KJ.....but you really cannot compare these stats....our D overall is so much better then the one Norman was in....you add into that his best numbers came under McD

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would be dissapointed if we didnt bring back KJ.....but you really cannot compare these stats....our D overall is so much better then the one Norman was in....you add into that his best numbers came under McD

The striking polarity in those stats is what struck me the most, that and Johnson's stats were incredibly good. 

If the stats are not comparable because of the different scheme and talent level of each defense, let's compare each player to their teammates. Norman's stats were the worst on his team, which was hard to do on that team. Johnson's were second best on the Bills behind Tre, whose numbers were ridiculously good. Johnson is a 27 year old first round pick coming off a good year in the Bills defense. Norman is 32 coming off the worst year of his career and is an unknown in the Bills defense, locker room, etc. 

On 3/9/2020 at 2:11 PM, MJS said:

If he's really washed up they'll see in training camp and cut him with no negative impact to the team or the cap.

True, assuming there isn't a signing bonus.

15 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The striking polarity in those stats is what struck me the most, that and Johnson's stats were incredibly good. 

If the stats are not comparable because of the different scheme and talent level of each defense, let's compare each player to their teammates. Norman's stats were the worst on his team, which was hard to do on that team. Johnson's were second best on the Bills behind Tre, whose numbers were ridiculously good. Johnson is a 27 year old first round pick coming off a good year in the Bills defense. Norman is 32 coming off the worst year of his career and is an unknown in the Bills defense, locker room, etc. 

My question then is... Do we keep White Wallace Norman and KJ as outside backs ?
That is not bad at first blush

Edited by 3rdand12

21 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

My question then is... Do we keep White Wallace Norman and KJ as outside backs ?
That is not bad t first blush

At only 27 and a former 1st round pick I like KJs upside and the fact he has already shown his abilities in the scheme. If he can be retained for a middling 6-8 mil contract with a possible out after 2 yrs, I think it is a good move.

I do trust McD to field a good secondary.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And Joe has never been wrong?

By the way.....I trust McBean WAY more then Joe Marino

Yes, I trust the FO and coaching staff as well. That doesn't mean you cant have opposing view points. Doesn't mean the front office is without fault. 

Why this becomes so personal for some people is beyond me. If Joe Marino had said more positive than negative, I sincerely doubt there would be this cristicsm of referencing his take on the situation.

I will admit, in a way, I do enjoy the spin cycle of Bills fans hating, disliking, disagreeing with the media at any cost. UNLESS that media is positive about the Bills. Then they are okay again.

Edited by BillsFan17
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/10/2020 at 6:29 AM, The Senator said:

Another Carolina/McDermott connection - only a matter of time before we sign Christian McCaffrey! ?

And Cam would be a good backup to Allen.

16 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I like the line about Bills controlling AFC East for next 20 years.

13 hours ago, Turk71 said:

At only 27 and a former 1st round pick I like KJs upside and the fact he has already shown his abilities in the scheme. If he can be retained for a middling 6-8 mil contract with a possible out after 2 yrs, I think it is a good move.

I do trust McD to field a good secondary.

Why do you think KJ would accept a deal for 6-8 million with potential outs by the Bills?  When he was cut by Houston he lost his 5th year option of over 9 million.  I would think he is looking for his “big contract” as he is in his prime and he showed he was healthy.  

I am guessing he is looking for 4 to 5 years at 10+ with a nice guarantees.  Probably more than the Bills want to pay their #2.  

I also would assume the Bills know exactly what he is looking for - which is why they signed Norman and have not signed KJ.  My guess is just like Phillips and Shaq - they have a value set for KJ and he thinks on the open market - he can beat that - so the Bills will allow him to test the market and if he is not getting the money - they will happily sign him back, but if someone is willing to overpay - they already have their back-up plan in place and do not have to scramble.

The Bills were obviously willing to go to 6-8 million for a CB - so don’t you think that has already been discussed between KJ, his agent, and the Bills.  If that was going to be acceptable - the deal would have been done and signed and Norman would have gone elsewhere.  Beane is not stupid - he knows what he wants to spend and what KJ is looking for and right now those numbers do not mesh.  

If the market gets flooded with more DBs and his price drops - KJ will be back, but all it takes is one team like the Jets to offer 5 years $55 million with 25 guaranteed and KJs bet on himself pays off.  If not he can always return to Buffalo at a healthy raise.

Edited by Rochesterfan

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

Yes, I trust the FO and coaching staff as well. That doesn't mean you cant have opposing view points. Doesn't mean the front office is without fault. 

Why this becomes so personal for some people is beyond me. If Joe Marino had said more positive than negative, I sincerely doubt there would be this cristicsm of referencing his take on the situation.

I will admit, in a way, I do enjoy the spin cycle of Bills fans hating, disliking, disagreeing with the media at any cost. UNLESS that media is positive about the Bills. Then they are okay again.

"the media"

just stop. OK, you really like Joe Marino. Nowhere did I say he isn't good at what he does, but there are literally hundreds of people doing what he does. i think it's awesome there are people who dedicate their time to doing stuff like this, but it doesnt actually mean anything. If the guy was that good and was nailing every single evaluation, he would work for a team.

he makes educated guesses on guys. it's weird how hard you want to go to bat for the guy. 

1 minute ago, Clemfield2622 said:

"the media"

just stop. OK, you really like Joe Marino. Nowhere did I say he isn't good at what he does, but there are literally hundreds of people doing what he does. i think it's awesome there are people who dedicate their time to doing stuff like this, but it doesnt actually mean anything. If the guy was that good and was nailing every single evaluation, he would work for a team.

he makes educated guesses on guys. it's weird how hard you want to go to bat for the guy. 

Yeah, its weird offering other opinions from educated and informed people. What a weird thing to do.

I pointed out someone who offered a well informed, well rounded, concise argument for and against the signing. That's all, moving on now.

19 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

"the media"

Both Marino and his colleague at Draft Network, Kyle Crabbs, have been approached more than once to get involved with scouting for a team at the entry level and passed. They have families and don't want to work entry level in such a volatile, unpredictable field. They're having a great time and making good money scouting football players for a living the way it is and dont have to worry about their regime being fired.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Both Marino and his colleague at Draft Network, Kyle Crabbs, have been approached more than once to get involved with scouting for a team at the entry level and passed. They have families and don't want to work entry level in such a volatile, unpredictable field. They're having a great time and making good money scouting football players for a living the way it is and dont have to worry about their regime being fired.

OK, cool, he has a job a lot of people would like to have. I will now value his opinion more than anyone else on the planet including our scouting and coaching staff.

Do you happen to have links to past draft evaluations? Current projections mean nothing, it would be fun to see his thoughts now, several years later. 

Everybody has their hits and misses. I'm sure he has late round guys he was right on, and others he was way off. Not a criticism of him, but that's the business. 

• Haha (+1) 1

There should be Zero criticism of this.  Low risk, high reward.  I blindly trust them with defensive backs. 

2 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Eh.  I can’t imagine they are making that much where they might turn down a NFL job.  It’s a lot easy to Criticize others when you’re not the one who will get fired if you’re wrong.   

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

There should be Zero criticism of this.  Low risk, high reward.  I blindly trust them with defensive backs. 

Eh.  I can’t imagine they are making that much where they might turn down a NFL job.  It’s a lot easy to Criticize others when you’re not the one who will get fired if you’re wrong.   

Who criticized who?