Bills sign Josh Norman

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

So fricken tired of fans acting like armchair gm and that peg money is THEIR money

BEANE HAS EARNED the benefit of the doubt in these things 

lets just see?

This is where I am. Not thrilled with the signing but McBeane knows a thing or two about DBs so I'll wait and be pleasantly surprised - or JN will be gone. Wonder if they see him as a safety now? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

I will say this, both Star Loutulelei(sp?) and Kelvin Benjamin were brought in for the very same reasons, and they haven't/did not work out.

I understand Beane getting benefit, but some of the decisions have not been the greatest, especially when it comes to ex-panthers.

We need to stop using KB as a measuring stick of

this contract, that is the problem. Comparing how mcderms uses DBs and WRs shows the lack of

knowledge. He makes magic on D and doesn’t have the eye on O. Lazy comparison 

• Like (+1) 2

So funny to watch fans react to others teams garbage because they havent been following the other team at all. Its not just here, my teams board does it, every teams board does it. Forget about the money, its absurd, skins fans were screaming for the last two years at the TV "Get him out". He has gained a ton of weight and has alot of interests outside of football. He cant run or jump anymore...terrible signing.

Edited by Deltek44
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

It’s ok to not like a signing of a aging veteran without being labeled negative. Fan debate is part of the sport landscape. 

Not liking the signing and people saying “he sucks” “that’s too much money” is a little different. It’s a no lose situation for buffalo. Everyone should be a little skeptical of his age and decline in Washington but it’s basically pennies to our overall cap situation and will have zero impact in possibly bringing Kevin Johnson back or signing or drafting another corner. I don’t expect much out of norman but I applaud Beane for always covering his behind with backup plans like this norman signing 

• Like (+1) 1

I have to think that there is no one on this board who's in a better position to determine which players fit the Bills' schemes than McDermott and Beane are.  I swear people are acting like those guys just sign a player because they used to know him.  I really doubt that it works that way.  

I suppose that there's a chance that it won't work out and some money would be wasted.  I think that it's every bit as likely that the Bills now have 2 Pro Bowl level corners.  I also think that it's more than worthwhile taking a shot at hitting the latter result.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

His game isn't predicated on athleticism...it's about reading the QB and being in the right spots.

Josh Norman can still be very good, and Buffalo is the perfect place for that to happen.

Sir you havent been following football outside of your team if you think Norman has any chance of being very good!

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Has he???                    I kid I kid .... 

He got overpaid in DC, then flat out failed there

His former HC won't even give him a chance .

His former HC didn’t want to give him a chance at an AAV of over 12.5 million a year.  It sounded like a cap release more than anything.

Your first part is absolutely correct - DC way overpaid and he was not worth what DC was paying him - so he gets cut.

Now he is signed to a deal at less than half his original salary for a system he is better suited to.

My guess would be if he was on a 1 year 6 million contract with DC - Rivera would of kept him around, but at over 12.5 with multiple years left - he was expendable.

3 minutes ago, Deltek44 said:

Sir you havent been following football outside of your team if you think Norman has any chance of being very good!

What a silly comment.

He's a former Pro Bowler as a zone corner who played on a team that suddenly started playing a lot of man-to-man and his play suffered because of it.

He's 32 years old which, while a bit old, is certainly not "can't play anymore" old.

To say that a former Pro Bowler who is now reuniting with the head coach under whom he had his most success has NO CHANCE of being very good is just plain silly.

• Like (+1) 3

Levi Wallace is quite slow for a CB.  Norman is actually a hair slower.  What Norman has that Wallace doesn't is body mass and corresponding strength, unless Wallace is able to add it in the current off season.  What we don't know is how much Norman's physical traits have eroded with age or whether his declining production in DC was due to that or a poor fit to Washington's defensive scheme.  I think it's pretty clear that Buffalo's zone defense is a better fit for him than what Washington ran, so we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

He didn't play with this defense in this scheme.  Fret not.  He fits what the Bills do.

I'm not upset with the signing and I'm certainly glad that it's just a one year deal. I just think that the money could have been better used elsewhere regardless of having $80 million in cap space but that's just me. Beane and McDermott certainly know what Norman can and can't do and, hopefully, getting back to a zone scheme will help him. I still have doubts that a 32 year old CB will improve all that much regardless of scheme but if he contributes anything, it's a solid get. It also could have been a preemptive move to losing Kevin Johnson. They may have spoken to his agent and determined that it would cost more than what they gave Norman and don't want to go that high. Time will tell. Nobody can accuse this regime of at least not trying to get better and, if nothing else, people will have another Josh to bash.  ??

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

I'm not upset with the signing and I'm certainly glad that it's just a one year deal. I just think that the money could have been better used elsewhere regardless of having $80 million in cap space but that's just me. Beane and McDermott certainly know what Norman can and can't do and, hopefully, getting back to a zone scheme will help him. I still have doubts that a 32 year old CB will improve all that much regardless of scheme but if he contributes anything, it's a solid get. It also could have been a preemptive move to losing Kevin Johnson. They may have spoken to his agent and determined that it would cost more than what they gave Norman and don't want to go that high. Time will tell. Nobody can accuse this regime of at least not trying to get better and, if nothing else, people will have another Josh to bash.  ??

I laughed, a lot.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Could it be that Josh Norman, who was never the fastest nor most agile, at 33 just cant keep up anymore?

sure but if he isn’t one of the top guys I don’t think they will keep him. That’s why this shouldn’t be a concern. 

they have certainly let guys go that we’re t going to cut it. Sometimes their MO is even to have Vet  presence through camp even if the 53 is a ?

Just now, BillsCuse said:

Only a one year deal, McDermott knows him well, he fits the scheme here better than in D.C. and at the very least he's CB depth - which we need.....stop complaining!

McDermott knows the Josh Norman of 4 years ago. 4 years is an eternity in the NFL. It's longer than most careers. Can we slow down on this?

Normans skills/abilities have no doubt regressed. The question is does he have anything left to be something of value to the Bills and not be an extreme liability like he was in Washington.

My thought process is no.

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

...as the most plausible threat to the Patriots in the AFC East in 2020.

Also, three other teams clearly saw he could still play as well and wanted him. But he chose to come here. How often has a player chosen the Bills since before the drought ended? Without being money-whipped. 

4 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

McDermott knows the Josh Norman of 4 years ago. 4 years is an eternity in the NFL. It's longer than most careers. Can we slow down on this?

Normans skills/abilities have no doubt regressed. The question is does he have anything left to be something of value to the Bills and not be an extreme liability like he was in Washington.

My thought process is no.

Yeah!

Jeez guys, can we all slow down on the notion that expert defensive coach Sean McDermott knows more about a player he coached for years and just had in for a workout than posters like Count dorkula?!

Gosh!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3