Bills sign Josh Norman

I like the move. He’s been brought in to be competition for Levi Wallace. He won’t be handed anything. He comes in with a ton of experience and was a top player in this system, and without a Kings ransom. At worst, he’s good depth, and a contributor in nickel and dime. Get a jump on free agency.

23 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

SO im never allowed to say wow that is a bad contract ever because its not my money?

That involves any team from any sport, correct?

If the Bills go out and sign Clowney to a 5 year 115 mil deal this year, im not allowed to comment on it because it is not my money?

Not what I was saying, your opinion of the signing is fine, no worse than any thing I would say,  what I’m getting at is lots of players and coaches go thru bad patches, so you can’t discount them completely, except if it’s Kelvin Benjamin of course ?

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Not what I was saying, your opinion of the signing is fine, no worse than any thing I would say,  what I’m getting at is lots of players and coaches go thru bad patches, so you can’t discount them completely, except if it’s Kelvin Benjamin of course ?

The only 3 signings/trade i have not liked from the start.

KB

Star

Norman

{Shrugs} lets hope Norman comes in and i have to wipe the egg off of my face.

19 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I will say this, both Star Loutulelei(sp?) and Kelvin Benjamin were brought in for the very same reasons, and they haven't/did not work out.

I understand Beane getting benefit, but some of the decisions have not been the greatest, especially when it comes to ex-panthers.

Agreed but doesn’t mean you stop swinging. 

It's been funny to see so many people in this thread pretend like they actually watched Redskins football last year and had their eyes on Josh Norman.

People have no idea. They're just parroting what they've heard on TV.

I'm in the "McDermott knows 6000% more about DB play than I do, and I trust his judgement" camp.

As others have said, even if Norman stinks, so what? It's a 1 year deal. There's literally zero risk involved.

My money's on him having a bounceback year and bringing some swag to the Bills secondary.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

KB

Star

Norman

Well at least Star try’s and hasn’t been KB bad, I guess, but few are on that level of bad... ?

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

KB

Star

Norman

Only? Then you've been wrong a lot as well. There is zero risk here unlike the other 2 signings mentioned. 

39 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

See this would make sense if his former HC in Ron Rivera wasn't the HC in Washington now.

Except Ron had him on the last year of a $75M deal...he obviously wasn't playing up to THAT contract

25 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I will say this, both Star Loutulelei(sp?) and Kelvin Benjamin were brought in for the very same reasons, and they haven't/did not work out.

I understand Beane getting benefit, but some of the decisions have not been the greatest, especially when it comes to ex-panthers.

So, now we're comparing Star's performance to Benjamin's. At the least I don't have to wait another 13 hours to see the worst post of the day.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's not the same situation. Even if we go out and sign AJ Green it's also not the same situation. System and surrounding players impact. 

Completely understand, but There is a difference in just not fitting in Washington but he still showed up to what actually happened with josh Norman.

He was statistically one of the worst CBs in the league and had his attitude and effort questioned.

I understand it was a bad situation, but the player didn't help his case.

25 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The Star deal has worked out perfectly. Kelvin, not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

Fairly low risk and high reward type deal. He is old for the position but started in the league at age 25 so he is only an 8 year vet which isn't too bad. Hopefully the deal is structured that he could be cut at a minimal cap hit if he acts up or is ineffective.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

My Prediction is he excels in his role is this zone scheme. He's still elite athletically and McDermott won't deal with any clown garbage from him.

While I don't hate the signing, I would not want him to line up as CB2. I do believe he's a liability on the back end and is clearly on the backside of his career. I also hope it doesn't preclude us from bringing KJ back for additional depth.

As for being athletically elite, @ 32 I think that's a pretty big up-sell. 

3 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Completely understand, but There is a difference in just not fitting in Washington but he still showed up to what actually happened with josh Norman.

He was statistically one of the worst CBs in the league and had his attitude and effort questioned.

I understand it was a bad situation, but the player didn't help his case.

He was definitely bad in Washington. He's not coming here to save our pass defense like he was signed to do in Washington. He'll have to fit in.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

28 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I'd argue it's beyond a stretch to say that Star Lotuleilei has flatly not worked out. They have had the number three defense the two years he's been here. One of the reasons given for signing him was that QBs could step up and get easy yardage with short passes to the tight end. The Bills have been one of the best, if not the best, team against tight ends since he's arrived. It's certainly not an unmitigated success, but I would say lumping him in with KB is not fair. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Did any of you who like this watch him last year? He was awful.

He's a flyer that they hope is better than he looked. You're looking at him being in contention for the 3rd-5th CB spot on a deal that has no lasting impact. The mantra has been competition and this deal seems to fit that perfectly.

Edited by jeremy2020

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

He's a flyer that they hope is better than he looked. You're looking at him being the 3rd-5th CB on a deal that has no lasting impact.

I generally agree but the contract money tells me he's competing for, if not the CB2.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

I generally agree but the contract money tells me he's competing for, if not the CB2.

You should listen more closely. It's a 1 year deal and you pay a higher salary for that. He may be cut before he ever takes the field and the deal allows the Bills to do that without much in the way of complications.

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1