Bills sign Josh Norman

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wanted Norman. It's a what have you done for me lately league so I get the groans. Just don't have huge expectations for him. This move fits what McDermott said at the combine. Come to Buffalo where you can be the best version of yours.

It's also very keeping with the building strategy that we have seen from our current brain trust: fill basic needs with moderately priced free agents and hope they outperform (Poyer and Hyde) or at the very worst not be a liability (Kroft and Star, Vontae was the worst and even that didn't break us) while we are able to take BPA and see an immediate result.

That has yielded some excellent results in the past few years, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

My first thought on what he brings: Infectious Attitude. 
   JN is one of those strange, goofy personalities that you can’t help but like if he’s on your side.

I see McBeane understanding that the window is opening for a SB run and they are going to try to get this team competitive both physically and emotionally.

You mean until the penalties cost a game. He isn't exactly the most stable or team oriented player. Hopefully he just quietly improves our DB2, but chances are they grab someone else too. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about this signing. Seems like an incentive laden deal that will motivate him to play like his old self. Plus we will need corner depth. With this only a one year prove it deal,  I bet we still try to resign kj or nab a corner or two later in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am not excited by this pick up but it is a one year deal for a guy who at one time was elite and maybe needs a different role to excel- less snaps but more specific job. You swing a lot as a GM and if you hit on most you are a good one.

15 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I think there is no way that we qualify for a compensation pick next year considering we have over 80 million in cap space.  If Norman plays well then leaves, we might get a pick 2 years from now.  

No one knows at this point how they will use their cap. A lot of it could be used to re-sign guys coming up on the end of their deals. Dawkins, Milano, Poyer, if they really want to get a deal done with Tre, no one knows. 

We could be losing Spain, Phillips, Shaq, Kevin Johnson, Levi (if they don't tender him), Kurt Coleman, Maurice Alexander, Julian Stanford, Frank Gore (gone), Waddle, Spencer Long, Corey Liuget, Robert Foster (if not tendered), Isaiah McKenzie, we could surely lose more than we take on. The guys likely to get the largest contracts are the first three mentioned, but they all will likely be signed somewhere. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

Why do some people dislike the  move?

Is Tre suddenly  gone? No

Did we trade a draft pick for Norman? No

Are you writing him the check ?  No

Are we close to the cap? No.

Low cost move with upside. A Beane special. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Or....as the great Pat Summerall would say......"that's True...................................................................................................................................................value".

Nobody said ‘Amp Lee’ quite like Pat did.

Tremendous move. He is almost the same age as Richard Sherman and has been playing for a bad organization the last few years. That can wear a player down and he might very well have a bounce back year in a CB friendly system he is familiar with. 

1. Low risk and cost 

2. Gives us another CB threat to pair with Tre White (there still is a mental aspect about trying to attack a CB who has been there done that and those CBs tend to getting a little more leeway with the refs - think Sherman in age and player status)

3. Provides depth as well as some insurance if White decides to hold out this year

4. It gives the team and defense a player with an edge and dog mentality. This is one thing our defense has generally lacked in as Norman like Sherman is not afraid to back down from a fight and he will not be afraid to call out teammates and hold people accountable. I think every team needs at least one player like this that has that edge, not crazy type like Antonio Brown or selfish like Beckham but a personality edge like a Sherman or Steve Smith. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

because Norman has been bad for the better part of 3 years.

1 minute ago, DJB said:

exactly. 

1) might be he fits well back into old system 

2) if he’s not up to it he doesn’t have to make the 53

3) maybe they are even thinking nickel or even rotational safety or Poyer hold out insurance  ?

In summary they signed a guy on a 1 yr deal who was elite 5 years ago and might be worth a look again in the right system. 

• Like (+1) 2

Many posters here are exposing their knowledge or lack thereof 

Josh Norman is an instinctive player that has always succeeded doing just that. 

When he's put in a position where that is properly utilized, he will thrive.

Guess what McDermott and Frazier are going to do?

• Like (+1) 2