Bills sign Josh Norman

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Would think there is a decent amount of money tied to active roster bonuses per game.  Nice low risk signing for a guy who will finally return to the scheme he was elite in.  Even though he is older now, he should be able to fill in as needed on the outside.  I am a fan of this one.

Indeed

I know a lot of people are joking, but I honestly like the move. Look, I don't consider him elite, but I remember the number of times that Levi Wallace got burned last year.

Wallace was a great deal for a #2, and his RFA status makes him someone I want to hold onto, but our bargaining position just got better. Norman goes back to a system that he was best in, and we don't have to worry about drafting a CB to replace White or Wallace.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

It’s ok to not like a signing of a aging veteran without being labeled negative. Fan debate is part of the sport landscape. 

And that's what he's doing - debating  your negative take on the signing, and and this player's future with the Bills.

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Low risk move and they have the space. McD probably thinks he could return to form in his D, 1 year deal, see what happens. Type of move that doesn’t preclude other moves and could help.

Minus the fact that Norman is a liability on the field. to me that is a huge risk.

Three things with this signing:

1. This signing does not count against the compensatory formula if we position ourselves to get any next year. 

2. Despite his underwhelming years in Washington, Norman is familiar with the system and playing in said system is what led to his big payday. There will be no learning curve stepping in here and hopefully he can be as effective as he was before in Carolina. We have seen this before with Beane and McDermott, they take castoffs from other teams and they end up working out well here.

3.  For everyone complaining about the signing, it was obvious whoever we played across from Tre was generally a weakness last year. Levi was getting roasted on a weekly basis, seemingly always on 3rd down, and Kevin Johnson wasn't that much better. If Norman can re-gain some of his Panthers' form the Secondary just got an upgrade. 

In all I don't think this rules out us re-signing a guy like Johnson if the price is right in FA. I also don't think this rules out us drafting a CB in the first two days if a guy they like falls to us at a position they feel is a good value. We'll see how our FA shakes out, but I'm starting to get the feeling they will address the defensive side of the ball in FA and use their draft capital to maneuver around to get the guys they really want. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Well I am very glad they didnt sign him last year then.   New year, new scheme, and if he cant beat out Wallace he ends up a veteran leader for one year.  Not mad at this at all.

Josh Norman, veteran leader? Those words should never be uttered in the same sentence.

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I know a lot of people are joking, but I honestly like the move. Look, I don't consider him elite, but I remember the number of times that Levi Wallace got burned last year.

Wallace was a great deal for a #2, and his RFA status makes him someone I want to hold onto, but our bargaining position just got better. Norman goes back to a system that he was best in, and we don't have to worry about drafting a CB to replace White or Wallace.

I wanted Norman. It's a what have you done for me lately league so I get the groans. Just don't have huge expectations for him. This move fits what McDermott said at the combine. Come to Buffalo where you can be the best version of yours.

Picking up cheap players who at one point in their career played at a high level is a proven way to win.  Prior the the Patriots first Super Bowl with Brady they added 19 free agents.  These included Bryan Cox, Roman Phifer, and Antoine Smith.  All three guys of those guys had good seasons for New England.  If Norman can't play then he will get cut or be one year and done in Buffalo.  I don't see any downside to this.  It should also make the draft compensation crowd happy, lol.  

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Three things with this signing:

1. This signing does not count against the compensatory formula if we position ourselves to get any next year. 

2. Despite his underwhelming years in Washington, Norman is familiar with the system and playing in said system is what led to his big payday. There will be no learning curve stepping in here and hopefully he can be as effective as he was before in Carolina. We have seen this before with Beane and McDermott, they take castoffs from other teams and they end up working out well here.

3.  For everyone complaining about the signing, it was obvious whoever we played across from Tre was generally a weakness last year. Levi was getting roasted on a weekly basis, seemingly always on 3rd down, and Kevin Johnson wasn't that much better. If Norman can re-gain some of his Panthers' form the Secondary just got an upgrade. 

In all I don't think this rules out us re-signing a guy like Johnson if the price is right in FA. I also don't think this rules out us drafting a CB in the first two days if a guy they like falls to us at a position they feel is a good value. We'll see how our FA shakes out, but I'm starting to get the feeling they will address the defensive side of the ball in FA and use their draft capital to maneuver around to get the guys they really want. 

I think there is no way that we qualify for a compensation pick next year considering we have over 80 million in cap space.  If Norman plays well then leaves, we might get a pick 2 years from now.