Brandon Aiyuk will be a Bills target based off Beane's comments

DJB

11 hours ago, DJB said:

6'0 205

Wingspan of 81”, which is the equivalent of someone 6’9”.

40 yard - 4.5

Vertical - 40 inches

Broad - 128

(For those that want to watch a highlight video and not read entire post)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bills-gm-brandon-beane-falcons-gm-thomas-dimitroff-join-stf/id1227006689?i=1000463331888

BRANDON BEANE:

"Receivers, tight ends, I like to call them touchdown makers, guys that can get the ball in their hands, to take the pressure off Josh, so he doesn't feel like he has to make every play himself, let me dump this little 6 yard hitch route, have the WR make the guy miss and take it 50"

Aiyuk is a YAC monster. His tape is full of examples where he takes the ball to the house. Short throws and long throws.

Hes also one of the best on tape to me at creating seperation at the beginning and top of the route. That's a big plus for any QB . 

Bills speak often of versatility and that it's a plus. Maybe not a sexy stat but one nonetheless:

While he may not be the big name like Jefferson, Ruggs  Higgins, Lamb and Jeudy, to me Aiyuk is a terrific WR prospect and no doubt a possible target by the Bills in round 1 / early round 2.  

ahh Hell PFF likes him bust !!

10 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Yes but 2 questions. 

1) how big are his hands

2) What in the tensile strength of his spleen?

The real question is can those hands catch??

I like what I see from this kid...at this point, though, because the Bills will likely be choosing from the second tier of WRs, I would like them to trade down to the bottom of the 1st round and pick up an extra 2nd rounder or 3rd & 4th...

Also, the value on the DE/Edge position seems to be between the 25th and 50th pick...

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Beane and Co have been brutal when it comes to WR's so far.

Beasley. John Brown. So that's just wrong.

As for drafting WRs, Beane has spent one 6th rounder and one 7th, and that's it. Yeah, it only brought in McCloud and Proehl. But that's not so much picking WRs badly as it is not spending any resources on them.

Fair enough if you want to include the trade for Kelvin Benjamin (who was not a good pickup by any means, but without whom we don't make the playoffs in 2017, as Benjamin was crucial in winning two games) but the Zay pick was made by McDermott and Whaley while Beane was still in Carolina. And again, Beasley and Brown were excellent pickups, so Beane has not been brutal by any means.

It's very reasonable not to have much confidence in him being able to pick a good WR. He hasn't used any real draft capital to try. He's got a lot to prove. But Beane's WR picks so far don't show any inability either.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

So is this how it works? If a late round pick can't even make the team over an UDFA when your WR group is full of bums, it means NOTHING, but when you are able to find contributors, you're a genius?

Man, McBeane is playing with house money.

Yes, that is indeed how to think of it. A huge percentage of 6th and 7th rounders don't turn into much. That is the expectation and if you do end up beating the odds, you've done well. Genius is far too strong, but you've been very successful if you get much more than STs guys

And our WR group is not full of bums. John Brown and Cole Beasley are for real. Did we need WRs in 2018? Yeah. Thing is we needed players at pretty much every position. And that draft looking back is starting to look like a very good one, though it will depend on Allen's development in the end.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Why are talking about a guy listed at 5"11 who ran a average 4.5 forty,  either really fast or 6'3 or bigger.  This guy look like another Zay Jones,  i hope someone takes him before us so we don't waste a pick on him

From 2010-2018, the perennial best WR in the game was a 5’11” guy that ran a 4.51

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

From 2010-2018, the perennial best WR in the game was a 5’11” guy that ran a 4.51

Hey man not sure you saw my earlier post. You seem draft heavy like me. Just wondering your  top 5 at WR and RB if you have time. Thanks :)

Edited by DJB

1 minute ago, DJB said:

Hey man not sure you saw my earlier post. You seem draft heavy like me. Just wondering your  top 5 at WR and RB if you have time. Thanks :)

Thanks for the compliment—must’ve missed that, my bad.

Yeah, I haven’t gotten to as many players this year (or last year) since Baby #3 came along. I used to get to a minimum of 150 players (where I’d be able to get a full run through all of their college games twice for the initial work up, and then many of them a 3rd time after workouts and before the draft); now that number is barely 100.

Anyway, my RB board looks like this:

Taylor

Akers

Swift

Dobbins

CEH

Also have serious draft feelings for Darrynton Evans

WR board is:

Lamb

Jeudy

Ruggs

Jefferson

Aiyuk

But the receiver board is interesting. My top 3 are all top-15 guys. Then I have a gap between them and group 2 that includes Jefferson, Aiyuk, Hamler, Reagor, Higgins—all are top 45 guys IMO. Group 3 is Mims, Laviska, Claypool, Pittman—top 60.

A few other personal favorites are Duvernay, Hodgins, Quartney Davis, and John Hightower.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Thanks for the compliment—must’ve missed that, my bad.

Yeah, I haven’t gotten to as many players this year (or last year) since Baby #3 came along. I used to get to a minimum of 150 players (where I’d be able to get a full run through all of their college games twice for the initial work up, and then many of them a 3rd time after workouts and before the draft); now that number is barely 100.

Anyway, my RB board looks like this:

Taylor

Akers

Swift

Dobbins

CEH

Also have serious draft feelings for Darrynton Evans

WR board is:

Lamb

Jeudy

Ruggs

Jefferson

Aiyuk

But the receiver board is interesting. My top 3 are all top-15 guys. Then I have a gap between them and group 2 that includes Jefferson, Aiyuk, Hamler, Reagor, Higgins—all are top 45 guys IMO. Group 3 is Mims, Laviska, Claypool, Pittman—top 60.

A few other personal favorites are Duvernay, Hodgins, Quartney Davis, and John Hightower.

Thanks man. And yeah kids take up a lot of time I know myself. Lol

My RB top 5:

Dobbins

Swift

Taylor

Akers

CEH

18 hours ago, DJB said:

6'0 205

Wingspan of 81”, which is the equivalent of someone 6’9”.

40 yard - 4.5

Vertical - 40 inches

Broad - 128

I love a guy who is willing to go out on a ledge and make a definitive statement about someone the Bills WILL draft.  If this comes to pass I’ll buy you a beer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Beane and Co have been brutal when it comes to WR's so far.

15 hours ago, wppete said:

Beane has nothing to do with Zay Jones. He wasn’t GM when the Bills drafted him. He traded him away. Ray Ray and Prohel were late round picks swing and misses. Stop your nonesense. 

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Beasley. John Brown. So that's just wrong.

As for drafting WRs, Beane has spent one 6th rounder and one 7th, and that's it. Yeah, it only brought in McCloud and Proehl. But that's not so much picking WRs badly as it is not spending any resources on them.

Fair enough if you want to include the trade for Kelvin Benjamin (who was not a good pickup by any means, but without whom we don't make the playoffs in 2017, as Benjamin was crucial in winning two games) but the Zay pick was made by McDermott and Whaley while Beane was still in Carolina. And again, Beasley and Brown were excellent pickups, so Beane has not been brutal by any means.

It's very reasonable not to have much confidence in him being able to pick a good WR. He hasn't used any real draft capital to try. He's got a lot to prove. But Beane's WR picks so far don't show any inability either.

After the 3rd off-season of rebuilding, Buffalo's WR group was Brown, Beasley, then street FAs and UDFAs.  You'd think there would be a better effort to surround your franchise QB with more talent because it would help assess where Allen is in his development. 

As to the former players...Zay Jones is on McD, who trusted his then WR coach's assessment of a former player.  Andre Holmes and Kelvin Benjamin were bad acquisitions that McBeane made which miscalculated how NFL offenses were moving toward faster and shiftier types.  Yes, Brown and Beasley have produced as veterans acquired in UFA, but it should speak volumes that they've allocated more high value resources to the DT and the secondary. 

Veterans acquired have been a mixed bag whereas the draft has been a combination of bad player evaluations, throwaway picks, and not really trying to upgrade the WR position.

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I like what I see from this kid...at this point, though, because the Bills will likely be choosing from the second tier of WRs, I would like them to trade down to the bottom of the 1st round and pick up an extra 2nd rounder or 3rd & 4th...

Also, the value on the DE/Edge position seems to be between the 25th and 50th pick...

This, I'm starting to think a trade back might be a good idea.  There will be multiple receivers available in the "same tier" at pick 22 and should be able to still get one in the late first.  Getting an extra 2nd or 3rd would be sweet

2 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

I mean Jeudy had his share of drops as well this past season...

Every WR has their share of drops but Jeudy knows how to play the receiver position. Aiyuk is still learning, after transferring from JUCO, how to place his hands and how to position his body to make good catches each time. To me that makes him a project, and one that would be better drafted after the first round. 

5 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Every WR has their share of drops but Jeudy knows how to play the receiver position. Aiyuk is still learning, after transferring from JUCO, how to place his hands and how to position his body to make good catches each time. To me that makes him a project, and one that would be better drafted after the first round. 

A drop is a drop is a drop. Whether you are veteran or new to the position. They all count the same. Barring market share.

I can see what you are saying that Aiyuk is still learning the position. If nothing else, that to me would make it less of a knock on the drops opposed to a more seasoned player who might have developed bad habits. Aiyuk still learning could potentially clean up those mistakes. I think Aiyuk has the makeup and film to holdup as a back of the half first rounder.

17 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

A drop is a drop is a drop. Whether you are veteran or new to the position. They all count the same. Barring market share.

I can see what you are saying that Aiyuk is still learning the position. If nothing else, that to me would make it less of a knock on the drops opposed to a more seasoned player who might have developed bad habits. Aiyuk still learning could potentially clean up those mistakes. I think Aiyuk has the makeup and film to holdup as a back of the half first rounder.

If you really like Aiyuk that is ok. Receiver is a skill position that requires a lot of reps to learn the type of things needed to do them consistently. Maybe he can learn but their  are a lot of talented players who never did when they got in the league and did not make it. Aiyuk’s physical skills make him worth a good draft pick. I just don’t think the physical skills are good enough, combined with how raw he is to warrant a first round pick. But I’m certainly no pro scout.

• Thank you (+1) 1