Leonard Williams Deal Done with Giants: Sets Market for Jordan & Shaq

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

I too don't see Phillips getting anywhere near the 9.5 mostly delayed clean up sacks. His run stopping performance was poor. I had hope for the big man but maybe it would be best to let him get someone to overpay. At 6-8 mill maybe, but I'd much prefer a DJ Reader type, If not DJ himself

being objective , I hope. He might actually become more well rounded and improved playing for the Bills another couple years. But i am not sure i would take that risk if Bills can find improvement via FA or even better? The Draft.

I'd like to see the Bills re-sign Shaq.  I think Phillips is a problem for the Bills on the roster.  No, not his attitude, which is just fine, but Phillips is a one gap three tech penetrator, who isn't very good in run defense.  The Bills have what they think is a future star at 3 tech in Ed Oliver.  Oliver has more upside as an all around pass rushing and run stopping 3 tech DT.  They need a rotational guy behind Oliver, but they aren't going to want to pay him 8 - 9 million and have him be a liability at run defense.  Shaq is a different story.  He's probably never going to be a starter in the Bills plans, but he is an all around player as a rotational guy, and he can start if need be.  Moreover, he's got the ability to play inside as a pass rushing DT on passing downs.  It's that "all around" quality and extra versatility that makes him a more desirable signing than Phillips.  If Phillips tests the market and finds he can't get the deal he wants, I'd have no problem if he comes back and plays for 5-6 million a year.

7 hours ago, CNY315 said:

Why does Shaq get that much less than Williams?

He doesn't. 8-9 mil for Lawson? Not a single chance in the world.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Did you read my response above?

First of all, I think the Bills would like a defensive tackle who plays BETTER than Phillips did last year. His sacks were great, sure, but his overall pressures percentage and play against the run often left much to be desired.

Spotrac's valuation prediction of Phillips has him at $6.1 million a year, which backs up what I just said above. To say that getting him at $9million would be a "steal" doesn't make any sense to me.

Phillips is the inverse of Shaq in terms of what the board expects they'll receive.

I wouldn't be shocked if Phillips could be had for less than 7 mil/per, which would definitely be do-able. Teams are going to be awfully leery of those 5 FULL SEASONS of nothing prior to 2019.

JMO.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

That contract would have been another Gettleman special. First, overpay your cross-town rival with 3rd and 5th picks for a one-dimensional player that his former team was desperate to unload and then compound the mistake by throwing a pile of cash at said player. A deal this bad could still transpire if there is nobody in the Giants' front office who can save Gettleman from himself.

15 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

What the hell has Leonard Williams ever done to deserve 12 mil a year?

Shaq and JP are both better. 

Clearly I agree at 100%, it’s a bad contract for the Giants he didn’t show since he came in the NFL that he deserves that kind of money. 

I hope that we will be able to keep Shaq and for a reasonable price for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

interesting contrast in our view points ? and i often agree with you.
But i feel the opposite almost

Here's why I feel that way. Shaq has been with the team since the whaley era. He really didn't have a great season until last year, and I feel like it was more of a prove himself type season. Phillips got picked up off waivers in 2018 and instantly came in and made a difference. Then came back this past season and was even better. Ideally I'd love to have them both back, but not sure that's possible 

Shaq is a journeyman....adequate most of the time.....he needs to be paid that way.  I don't know the numbers, but, I wont cry if he leaves.  He was round 1, and has not played to that level yet.  A B- player, not a B or and A grade.

Shaq to me is the guy you want as a DE #2.  Stout against the run, and can get some pressure (Phil Hansen).  We need a Bruce on the other side.  We need more sacks, etc. 

In terms of interior line, I agree with the poster that said paying slightly more for Reader would be better than getting Phillips back.  Reader is a jackknife (can play all over), solid against the run, and can get some pressure.  Perfect guy next to Oliver.  And interior pressure if better than outside pressure, and I like how the FO seems to be focusing on that.  

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

Shaq has been better the last two years

Is there measurable evidence to that? For one thing, they play different positions. Williams had 5 sacks in 2018 and Shaq only had 4. Williams had more tackles the past two years. Shaq had more sacks in 2019, but he's an edge rusher, so he SHOULD be getting more sacks than a defensive tackle. Williams had 36 QB hits the past two years. Shaq had 30. It seems to me like Williams has the better stats especially given the position differences.