Leonard Williams Deal Done with Giants: Sets Market for Jordan & Shaq

56 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Who do you have in mind that outplayed Phillips and will play for less money?

Well, first it's important to keep in mind that the entire picture of how Phillips played last year includes more than just sacks. Against the pass, how often did he push the pocket and pressure the QB? Against the run, how often did he have a positive instead of a negative play?

The 9.5 sacks are lovely, but they sort of obscure the fact that, on the whole, Phillips wasn't always good last year.

Taking the above in mind, I think that a drafted rookie or a free agent could represent an improvement.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-tackle/

Lots of guys to choose from there in the list above.

Assuming the Bills DO keep Phillips, though, Spotrac has his market value prediction listed at $6.1million. THAT is a number I could live with for Phillips.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I don't think you're wrong about the price tags, I just don't want the Bills to give Jordan Phillips $9million. I actually think they can UPGRADE the position and spend LESS money.

I would like to see them re-sign Shaq, though.

You obviously think he can't reproduce his performance from last year. Getting Phillips at 9 mil would be an absolute steal if he continues to replicate last years numbers.

6 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

You obviously think he can't reproduce his performance from last year. Getting Phillips at 9 mil would be an absolute steal if he continues to replicate last years numbers.

Did you read my response above?

First of all, I think the Bills would like a defensive tackle who plays BETTER than Phillips did last year. His sacks were great, sure, but his overall pressures percentage and play against the run often left much to be desired.

Spotrac's valuation prediction of Phillips has him at $6.1 million a year, which backs up what I just said above. To say that getting him at $9million would be a "steal" doesn't make any sense to me.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, KOKBILLS said:

I'm missing the logic where 12 million per year for Leonard Williams is a tremendous deal...Not that I think he's a bad player...But tremendous deal? Why? It's almost 4 mil annually more than his Spotrac estimated Market value...I get that is not the be all end all...But 4 mil difference! Tremendous deal??? I don't know...?

It is a great deal for ..... Leonard Williams

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I don't think you're wrong about the price tags, I just don't want the Bills to give Jordan Phillips $9million. I actually think they can UPGRADE the position and spend LESS money.

So who do you feel they can sign for less money who would upgrade the position?  Names, please!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

First of all, I think the Bills would like a defensive tackle who plays BETTER than Phillips did last year. His sacks were great, sure, but his overall pressures percentage and play against the run often left much to be desired.

Spotrac's valuation prediction of Phillips has him at $6.1 million a year, which backs up what I just said above. To say that getting him at $9million would be a "steal" doesn't make any sense to me.

Phillips' sack numbers last year really cloud the situation.  His overall play doesn't dictate the contract numbers being thrown around but some team won't do their homework and overpay him.  It pretty much happens every year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Logic said:

Well, first it's important to keep in mind that the entire picture of how Phillips played last year includes more than just sacks. Against the pass, how often did he push the pocket and pressure the QB? Against the run, how often did he have a positive instead of a negative play?

The 9.5 sacks are lovely, but they sort of obscure the fact that, on the whole, Phillips wasn't always good last year.

Taking the above in mind, I think that a drafted rookie or a free agent could represent an improvement.

Assuming the Bills DO keep Phillips, though, Spotrac has his market value prediction listed at $6.1million. THAT is a number I could live with for Phillips.

@Hapless Bills Fan This was a response I gave in this thread to someone who already asked me the question you just asked.

To begin with, I tend to think Spotrac's $/year valuation prediction for Phillips is pretty accurate, so the $9million number originally posited in the OP seems too high to me, and is more than I think the Bills should commit to a backup at a position that they just spent a 1st round pick on last year.

As mentioned in the quoted portion above, I also believe that Phillips was not as good last year as his sack numbers alone would seem to indicate.

As far as specific names of replacements? I don't have any for you, but I'm willing to bet Brandon Beane does. The Bills' pro personnel department found Jordan Phillips, and I'm willing to bet they can find someone else to fill that spot and produce at a high level. 

I just don't think it's logical to give a big contract to a guy to be a backup to a player that you just invested a 1st round pick in. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

It's spelled gnash you idiot !

I would like to keep them both. But maybe they want to get out of being in so much rotational roles as McD runs.

And why they have less value to the Bills then some other teams.
Lawson has more flexibility position wise, as he can move inside etc. Love Phillips attitude and he can play good football for sure. But 9 mil and long term contract may not be the best answer for either team nor Jordan

Just because I’m an idiot doesn’t mean ya gotta tell everyone ?

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 5

I'd prefer they don't pay either.  I want to pay Milano and Tre market value not guys having decent years.  

We look at how much cap space we have and totally underestimate how much of that is needed next year, to add talent and the following year for Allen.  

I want them to let Shaq and Phillips go - sacrificial lambs for the greater good.  I want a disruptive pass rusher that I'd like to draft or spend money on vs them.  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I don't think he can replicate last year either.  His 9 1/2 sacks were dumb luck after playing out of position most of the year. I would like to see a real DT replace him at less cost. Him going on record saying he is one of the best DTs in the league is just ridiculous too. He wants to drive up his market value way above what he is actually worthy. He's not a bad DT, just nowhere near what he wants to get paid.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

interesting contrast in our view points ? and i often agree with you.
But i feel the opposite almost

44 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I too don't see Phillips getting anywhere near the 9.5 mostly delayed clean up sacks. His run stopping performance was poor. I had hope for the big man but maybe it would be best to let him get someone to overpay. At 6-8 mill maybe, but I'd much prefer a DJ Reader type, If not DJ himself

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So who do you feel they can sign for less money who would upgrade the position?  Names, please!

Ooh ooh, pick me, pick me! I’ve got one!

Christian Covington
?

JK of course. I just happen to like the player and think he’d be a solid DT4.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

To me IMO the kid's a baller. I'd sooner pay him 9 mil than Star. The guy brings fire on defense and someone will pay him over 10 mil a year, book it.. I find it funny that a team desperate for sack production would disregard and discard their sack leader who's a DT.  

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Numbers. They reflected a number of excellent plays, but it’s the number of times where he didn’t get into the backfield and didn’t stop the run that have the Bills looking elsewhere. If Jordan wants big bucks, he better hope that someone’s scouts love a good Youtube highlight package.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

So you don't have anyone in mind, just rolling the dice on a draft pick.  Typically you improve a team by keeping players that perform well and replace those that don't. I would put Phillips in the player category that performed well. By the way, I'm also good with paying him 6.1 mil.

• Like (+1) 1