Ted's hot dogs: the best?

Are Ted's hot dogs the best in the observable universe?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ted's hot dogs the best?

• Yes
    • Yes

As far as I'm concerned, yes - absolutely. I used to go there all the time, usually ordering at least one jumbo with chili, mustard, and onions. Last time I was there (it was on Niagara Falls blvd near East Robinson) was before I moved away in 1982. Ted's is on my short list of all-time favorite places. 

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Did she order the footlong?

Yes, but I can confirm she ate it.  Oh, wait, perhaps I need to rephrase that...?

Actually, she seemed genuinely moved by the number of senior citizen couples having lunch there.  We were in our 50s at the time, and probably were the youngest ones there that early afternoon.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

38 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I don't think I've ever made the trip back to WNY without going to Teds, over 25 years now.  

Foot long with everything except onions which I don't like.  But guess what - Ted's onion rings are the exception because they are awesome!

Same here... used to be Your Host but now it's Ted's and Gabriels Gate. Kind of lucky that there is a Casa Di Pizza (Elmwood strip) down here... they do Sahlens just like Ted's, right down to the Webers mustard.

1 minute ago, T&C said:

Same here... used to be Your Host but now it's Ted's and Gabriels Gate. Kind of lucky that there is a Casa Di Pizza (Elmwood strip) down here... they do Sahlens just like Ted's, right down to the Webers mustard.

Your host! Now that's a name from childhood.

• Like (+1) 4

Anybody remember a place called "Jim's" on the lake shore?

Place used the same hotdogs as Ted's, and served huge Sealtest ice cream cones.

We used to drive out there whenever we could.

Place was fantastic.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Your host! Now that's a name from childhood.

Glad someone else remembers. According to this the last ones shut down in 93. Never had a bad experience at any of them... liked the quaint style and the food was always good.

http://blog.buffalostories.com/tag/your-host/

Edited by T&C
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Anybody remember a place called "Jim's" on the lake shore?

Place used the same hotdogs as Ted's, and served huge Sealtest ice cream cones.

We used to drive out there whenever we could.

Place was fantastic.

Jim’s? Was there a Pat’s that tried to do the same Ted’s thing? Details are fuzzy. (About sooooo many things!) 

There was a place here in Atlanta called Barkers Red Hots. A WNY guy selling us HVAC told me about it and it felt like home. They had loganberry, Crystal Beach fries, etc. I showed up one day and the line was WAY out the door. Turns out it was their last day in business, so I stayed in line. Not sure what happened, but they did open a 2nd location which is often the kiss of death. 

I have some Sahlens dogs in the fridge right now. New grill on the patio, need to break those out! 

Pat’s was on Sheridan Dr. at Parker, southeast corner.  Another dog joint was on the southwest corner, but not Ted’s.  A Walgreens now stands where Pat’s used to.

I’m waiting for the Rochester area contributors to chime in singing the praises of Zweigel’s red hots and white hots.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

I grew up in the OP Ted's location, next to Delta Sonic. When I was back in December, I had lunch there. I was the youngest person at 11:15am by 25 years, and I'm 42. Felt so good to get back. Footlong, ringtopper, ketchup. Their onion rings are just DOPE.

• Like (+1) 1

Whenever I come home, the first and last place I stop is a little hole in the wall diner in Lackawanna, right by the South Buffalo border called "Abbott Texas Hots." The dogs themselves are Salhen's I believe, so good, but nothing special. But their sauce is the best Texas sauce I've ever had. I always get 2-3 hot dogs, drizzled in sauce, and fries with a side of the sauce. I'd buy a jar, but the owner is very secretive about the recipe and won't let anybody have more than they'll need for a meal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Pat’s was on Sheridan Dr. at Parker, southeast corner.  Another dog joint was on the southwest corner, but not Ted’s.  A Walgreens now stands where Pat’s used to.

I’m waiting for the Rochester area contributors to chime in singing the praises of Zweigel’s red hots and white hots.

I like Ted's but their hot dogs are dog food compared to Zweigle's.  Sahlens are just as bad.  Maybe good for a toothpick but not to eat.