Internally there’s some love for Tee Higgins

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Julio Jones had

1 catch for 21 yards in his bowl game his sophomore year

3 catches 49 yards in his bowl game his junior year

0 touchdowns.

not like it means anything

Maybe.   But Jones was a much more physical WR coming out, who used his physicality to routinely beat press coverage (he also ran a 4.39 40, which ain't chickenfeed at 220 pounds).   "Tough and highly competitive" were his signature descriptors.   Higgins is nowhere near that physical.

I worry about players who aren't the stick that swizzles their team in big games.    A first round pick should be more than a passenger in crunch time of their team's biggest games.   

Some guys (like Jones) can transcend that at the pro level.    Some guys can't, which is how I see Higgins.   I'll gladly defer to Beane, but as a simple fan in the stands, that's my impression of Tee so far...

Jones:    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/julio-jones-1/gamelog/

Higgins:    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tee-higgins-1/gamelog/

Edited by Lurker

7 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Every single team passed on McLaurin, and Hardman caught 26 passes in the pass happy Chiefs offense. I'd hardly consider him someone we missed out on.

Not every team that passed on McLaurin was desperate (or should have been) for help at WR.

Hardman got limited targets because of how ridiculously deep the Chiefs’ receiving corps is, but he averaged over 20 YPC.  He’s also a great kick returner and one of the fastest players in the league.  I expect him to blow up in 2020.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

The O line was the obvious priority, teams are built from the lines out, not the WRs in.  Beane has done a very good job. We went 10-6 and went to the playoffs on the quality of the FA acquisitions, and that draft, It was a successful draft and season.  Having a GM with a viable plan is helpful, now we have a super deep WR draft, and the coin to get the right free agents, perfect timing don’t you think? 

We are light years ahead of the stupid that went on for seventeen straight years. 

Go Bills!!!

The O-line is still half a mess and they still don't have a legit threat at WR and the GM is now, heading into his 3rd draft, finally concluding "we need to score more points".

The 2015 and 2016 Offenses were ranked 12th and 10th in points scored, with Taylor/McCoy/Watkins/Woods.  All were let go by McBeane.   The Dolphins O-line is awful, yet they scored only 5 fewer points...all year...than the Bills did--with Fitz and Rosen at QB.    The Bills took Morse off Andy Reid's hands for 11 million a year.  KC replaced him with a 7th round castoff from the redskins for 1 million a year (yet finally made it to and won the SB).  Dawkins may be the Bills best O-lineman....

Yes, it's a good WR draft, but we still have a GM who has, so far, put zero effort into drafting WR.  That's part of the reason you go from 10 to 30 (then 23) in points scored in a hurry.

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is always a weak argument.  It should be obvious not every team has the same need with their 1st 2 picks in the draft.  Why even repeat this?

It really isn't. You're saying that knowing what we know now, Beane should've draft them at 38. I'm saying that knowing what we know now, they wouldn't have even been on the board at 38. It's a redundant argument.

8 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

It really isn't. You're saying that knowing what we know now, Beane should've draft them at 38. I'm saying that knowing what we know now, they wouldn't have even been on the board at 38. It's a redundant argument.

It’s not what I’m saying at all.   These were legitimate pucks taken in the second round by teams that needed them and scoured them appropriately.  

I’m saying that not every team that picked ahead of the Bills in the 1st or 2nd round needed a WR.  The Bills did...and passed. Si it makes no sense to say “31 teams passed on...”

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The O-line is still half a mess and they still don't have a legit threat at WR and the GM is now, heading into his 3rd draft, finally concluding "we need to score more points".

The 2015 and 2016 Offenses were ranked 12th and 10th in points scored, with Taylor/McCoy/Watkins/Woods.  All were let go by McBeane.   The Dolphins O-line is awful, yet they scored only 5 fewer points...all year...than the Bills did--with Fitz and Rosen at QB.    The Bills took Morse off Andy Reid's hands for 11 million a year.  KC replaced him with a 7th round castoff from the redskins for 1 million a year (yet finally made it to and won the SB).  Dawkins may be the Bills best O-lineman....

Yes, it's a good WR draft, but we still have a GM who has, so far, put zero effort into drafting WR.  That's part of the reason you go from 10 to 30 (then 23) in points scored in a hurry.

It appears you  prefer to complaining about a team that had by all measures a successful season, and that was more successful than you thought they would be. Enjoy that ?  

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It appears you  prefer to complaining about a team that had by all measures a successful season, and that was more successful than you thought they would be. Enjoy that ?  

Go Bills!!!

You could miss-characterize it that way I guess.  Not sure how it advances your point other than as an exit.

Peace

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

88 yards and this monstrosity of a call below that cost him a second td and another 40-50 yards. 

This stuff is on the internet.    You can’t just make things up.  

https://www.12up.com/posts/clemson-tee-higgins-pass-interference-lsu-video-01dyh69hq84a

Ok-- he had one big running play, and a catch that didn't count.  His upper body strength is sub-par, and many feel he will not stand up to the abuse he will take from NFL defensive backs. Plus, I hear he needs a lot of rest.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, mannc said:

Not every team that passed on McLaurin was desperate (or should have been) for help at WR.

Hardman got limited targets because of how ridiculously deep the Chiefs’ receiving corps is, but he averaged over 20 YPC.  He’s also a great kick returner and one of the fastest players in the league.  I expect him to blow up in 2020.

The Bills weren't "desperate" either. If I recall correctly, everyone seemed pretty optimistic about a starting WR trio Brown, Beasley, and Foster with Zay, McKenzie, Roberts, and potentially Duke as depth heading into the draft.

16 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

There will always be people that just always need something to complain about unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

All this bickering over draft stock and slots. 
Outside the top 3-5 players every year it’s all a crap shoot. 
Some of your best players in the league are found in rounds 2-5. 
Golloday is on his way to being a top receiver in this league and he was considered a weak prospect projected in the 4th round or later. 
We are not scouts, we don’t have the inside intel the pros do. We don’t know these athletes or talk to them or their coaches. Not sure why there is so much bickering over who knows what best when none of us know Jack squat in the big picture of things. 
We can read into things all we want but it’s possible they build a super ground and pound offense again and hope to get lucky in the 3-5 round range on a receiver. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see them target more offensive linemen in free agency and another back in free agency and the draft and try to run it down everyone’s throats every week. Along with more defensive personnel to keep the defense playing at an elite level. I look forward to the yearly blowups for free agency and the draft, I try but can never understand the fascination with arguing over who should be drafted where and how much someone is worth to a team. This has to be the most frugal fan base in the league with salary cap money. Ralph has really taught us to count those pennies and get maximum value at every position. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Maybe.   But Jones was a much more physical WR coming out, who used his physicality to routinely beat press coverage (he also ran a 4.39 40, which ain't chickenfeed at 220 pounds).   "Tough and highly competitive" were his signature descriptors.   Higgins is nowhere near that physical.

I worry about players who aren't the stick that swizzles their team in big games.    A first round pick should be more than a passenger in crunch time of their team's biggest games.   

Some guys (like Jones) can transcend that at the pro level.    Some guys can't, which is how I see Higgins.   I'll gladly defer to Beane, but as a simple fan in the stands, that's my impression of Tee so far...

Jones:    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/julio-jones-1/gamelog/

Higgins:    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tee-higgins-1/gamelog/

Lol.....that’s has nothing to do with what I was replying to.  There really is no, “yeah, but”

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You could miss-characterize it that way I guess.  Not sure how it advances your point other than as an exit.

Peace

Peace.

Go Bills!!!

5 hours ago, par73 said:

He was invisible against Ohio St., LSU (teams that were really physical with him) and the combine (needed to rest). My least favorite Day 1 prospect.

There’s at least 3 more WR’s that I would prefer over Higgins ( on day 2 )

No way he gets drafted in the first round , 

I'm hoping they go with Chase Claypool from ND & he will more than likely bo there when the Bills pick comes around then they can get a good edge rusher in the second round like the guy out of Penn St. Gross Mato i'd say that would be a good get 1st & 2nd round !! 

I've heard that Higgins had a couple of issues & isn't as versatile where Claypool i guess they lined up all over the place & would be more versatile in the scheme .

7 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Reminds me of Laquon Treadwell.

Not a fan.

Not me.  Higgins is significantly taller (a couple inches) but Treadwell is heavier.  IMO Treadwell and AJ Brown are a lot more alike.  Treadwell just hasn't been able to get his career untracked.  Higgins has that huge catch radius only a tall receiver can have, but he's shown some athleticism on the field.  On the other hand, he's played at just a little over 200 lbs.  You'd think at that height he could carry another 20+ lbs without losing speed and agility.  I think he could be more of a Mike Evans type receiver myself.  Evans was about 10 lbs heavier than Higgins coming out of college, but since then he's added another 12-13 lbs of muscle.  

• Like (+1) 1