Internally there’s some love for Tee Higgins

Just now, PIZ said:

What info did Joe Marino pass on?

I'm paraphrasing here so...

Marino said an NFL insider...a name we would all know...pulled him aside to tell him he might have to get over his lack of enthusiasm for Higgins because the Bills really like him...?

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, par73 said:

He was invisible against Ohio St., LSU (teams that were really physical with him) and the combine (needed to rest). My least favorite Day 1 prospect.

89 yards from scrimmage and a TD against LSU. Not out of this world production, but not "invisible".

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

The basketball background is attractive. 

Still....if he runs a 4.6 or worse I'm taking a shot at somebody with more speed and explosiveness. 

I don't know if Higgins is the right one, but the obsession with 40 times is amusing to me. I thought the consensus was that they needed a big target with a big catch radius to complement the shorter Brown and Beasley. I thought that is why so many have a crush on Duke Williams.

There have been plenty of WRs who ran 4.6 or slower that had excellent NFL careers:

Anquan Boldin 4.61

Jerry Rice  4.7

Larry Fitzgerald 4.63

Cris Carter 4.63

Speaking of Duke Williams, he ran a 4.7.

17 minutes ago, par73 said:

He was invisible against Ohio St., LSU (teams that were really physical with him) and the combine (needed to rest). My least favorite Day 1 prospect.

Thats definetly not true.     He had 90 yards and also had a 70 yard bomb called back over a penalty.  

• Like (+1) 1

Higgins is certainly not my favorite WR prospect in this draft.

HOWEVER...

It's hard to argue with an 18.1 yds career receiving average (better than Hopkins, Watkins, Williams), 27 TDs (tied with Hopkins and Watkins), and hard to argue with the size and deep ball ability, too. And one more thing to keep in mind: McDermott, when asked what is important to him in a wide receiver, said "let's start with being able to catch the football". Now with that quote in mind, go watch Higgins highlights. He's a great hands catcher. 

Given the total package of traits, Higgins' ability to catch any ball in his area code (which is where lots of Allen's passes tend to end up -- just in the area code), the way he would complement our existing WR corps, and the recent NFL production history of Clemson WRs...I can't really find any reason that the Bills SHOULDN'T draft Higgins. If they could trade down a few spots and still snag him, that would be even better.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

The only WRs he's drafted are McCloud and Proehl. Can't really complain about a 6th rounder and a 7th rounder not working out.

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Brown and Beasley are a good start.  He failed year 1 with KB being his only add in a tear down season.  Did well very last season getting Beasley and brown on very team friendly contracts that both outperformed imo.  

he hasn’t taken many swings.  That’s probably his biggest issue with WR.

Yeah, he's ignored the position until now--certainly in the draft.

Didn't TBD let Beane know he's not our favorite! If Higgins is drafted I will get on board quickly. Especially if 4.55 or better at pro day.

Also, seen a couple of mocks where Lamb makes it to 17. If so, Beane has to get to 16 and take him.

14 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Thats definetly not true.     He had 90 yards and also had a 70 yard bomb called back over a penalty.  

Yes! That penalty on the bomb shouldn’t have been called. At least I didn’t think so at the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, he's ignored the position until now--certainly in the draft.

In the draft, he hasn’t taken very many swings....that doesn’t mean he doesn’t know how to evaluate the WR prospects.  That seems like an unknown at this point.  

in free agency at WR, I’m very happy with what he’s done.  Whereas he hasn’t swung in the draft, he took 2 swings in free agency last offseason (brown and Beasley) and both were both hits.  Now he just needs to get the guy to compliment them.  

based on everything else he’s done, I have confidence.  He completely turned this team upside down and now almost every player has his fingerprint on them. While doing what he did, it’s expected that he leave some moves for this year and next. Just so happens that finishing off the WR unit is up next. He’s done a masterful job with this roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t understand why many here have such a negative opinion of Higgins.  OK, he is probably not in the Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs tier, but he sure looks like a very good prospect still.

The Bills are positioned in the bottom 1/3 of each round - not the top 1/3 as we grew used to for many years.  The prospects available at that spot are different than what we are used to.

We don't know what he'll be.  He could wind up the best of all the WRs drafted.  I like the top 3 guys, and I think Shenault would be dynamite, but I'd be cool with Higgins.  He's a proven, good prospect.  And I don't care about the combine stuff.

I’m Not a huge fan... but like many here, I wasn’t a fan of Allen. I wasn’t a fan of trading down for Tre. I had no idea who Poyer and Hyde were... so I’ll let Beane and McDermott make their pick.

I also believe Beane & McDermott are big on “fit”. How does the player fit into their role within the scheme. The role that was played by Duke Williams in that playoff game, could be well fit by Higgins. 

I also trust their interview process, and the fact that maybe someone like Higgins isn’t the perfect locker room guy, but having guys like Allen, Brown & Beasley around him, along with McDermott running the show, could keep a guy like Higgins in line and help him see the light. 

The remark by SM that the first receiver trait he looks for is catching the ball, not his 40 time says a lot imo.  Being that our team has been plagued by drops for the last two seasons, they may very well be looking his way. That and he would upgrade the room immediately. Our best receivers by catch percentage are Brown Beasley and Williams, all of which are over 60%.  We shall see... 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He's def gun shy at the position.... at least his comments prior to last years draft indicate that. 

He’s really had 2 off seasons. His first offseason wasn’t really his.

2017 he was in Carolina for the draft and free agency. He dumped sammy and his focus wasn’t building the WR group, it was straightening out the cap and evaluating what he had.  We had more glaring holes and we had just draft Zay.  He swung and missed on KB to help in the playoff run

Draft:   sorry wr, you had to take a backseat to trading up for the QB’s of our O and D while adding 2 need positions in Nickel and DT (phillips and johnson).  He swung and missed on 6th and 7th rd picks Ray Ray and proehl.  Most are missed in those rounds.

Free agency-  the top FA WR’s:  Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Terrell Pryor, Paul Richardson, donte moncrief and John Brown. 
We tried for brown but he chose the ravens because of their qB.  He has said as much.  Not on Beane.  Who else in that WR group would you like?  Robinson?  Yeah, he’s ok.  But he’s still have to sign to play here with no QB.  The rest are bleh. There were no options.......what was he supposed to do?  He snagged mckenzie mid season and UDFA Robert foster showed promise

2019-

Draft:  We weren’t taking a WR rd 1.  None worthy of it.  Rd 2, we took what Beane though would be Allens RT for the next 10 years.  And he’s got a nasty streak which is needed.  Sorry DK, building a beast OL > a WR coming off season ending neck surgery.  Deebo was gone anyway.  grabbing Singletary shocked everyone....and I’m glad we did.  He’s a helluva player.  Better than kelvin Harmon and that tall lanky kid drafted by the cardinals that missed the season (his name is escaping me atm).  Knox looks to be a capable starter for the foreseeable future.  I expected a WR to be drafted and was shocked when we didn’t take one.  Lots speculated that it may have had to do with this years stacked class of WRs.

Free agency-  he signed Brown and Beasley to great contracts that every bills fan is happy with.  Other top free agent WRs:  Golden Tate, Tyrell Williams, Adam Humphries, devin funchess, Cobb, moncrief, crowder.  Which one of those guys did we miss the boat on?  I’m glad he didn’t take any swings by overpaying for those guys.  Foster was coming off what some had thought was a breakout season.  Some had held out some hope that Zay would improve.  When he didn’t, he traded him first chance he could.  

While he hasn’t developed the WR unit as much as we’d have liked in 2 offseason, I just didn’t see the right opportunities to get that WR that we all wanted. He made a play on AB, then AB turned into AB. Good thing we didn’t.  OBJ, but the price was too high. Cooper, but we were already out of the playoff mix that year and weren’t giving up a top 10 pick for him.  Landry, **** that ****** ******* *******!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

The only WRs he's drafted are McCloud and Proehl. Can't really complain about a 6th rounder and a 7th rounder not working out.

I think the complaint is about the guys he DIDN’T draft...

1 hour ago, Logic said:

89 yards from scrimmage and a TD against LSU. Not out of this world production, but not "invisible".

His one play of the game was on a thirty yard reverse, I believe. Nothing really through the air. Let's call him barely visible.

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

He had one big running play, and pretty much nothing through the air.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

In the draft, he hasn’t taken very many swings....that doesn’t mean he doesn’t know how to evaluate the WR prospects.  That seems like an unknown at this point.  

in free agency at WR, I’m very happy with what he’s done.  Whereas he hasn’t swung in the draft, he took 2 swings in free agency last offseason (brown and Beasley) and both were both hits.  Now he just needs to get the guy to compliment them.  

based on everything else he’s done, I have confidence.  He completely turned this team upside down and now almost every player has his fingerprint on them. While doing what he did, it’s expected that he leave some moves for this year and next. Just so happens that finishing off the WR unit is up next. He’s done a masterful job with this roster. 

He passed on 3 good ones in the 2nd to pick Ford last year

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, par73 said:

His one play of the game was on a thirty yard reverse, I believe. Nothing really through the air. Let's call him barely visible.

He had one big running play, and pretty much nothing through the air.

88 yards and this monstrosity of a call below that cost him a second td and another 40-50 yards. 

This stuff is on the internet.    You can’t just make things up.  

https://www.12up.com/posts/clemson-tee-higgins-pass-interference-lsu-video-01dyh69hq84a

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I can certainly understand the buzz about Higgins. He might be the best in the class at catching area code balls which Allen usually throws. Especially down the field. Wouldn’t be shocked one bit if he is their target. The only thing that concerns me is his mysterious absence at the on field workouts at the combine...

there was no mystery - he said he wasn't physically prepared. It would have been a mystery had he not explained his absence