Name 3 FA WR who interest you...Go!

Especially, Dark Horse FA (repeated from title: WR!!!!) who no one is talking about much

I put this in the FA thread.  Parrino speculates the Bills should target Devin Funchess.

My reaction to that is "what happened to the first thing about a WR is he's gotta be able to catch the ball, McBeane?"

So I thought it would be interesting to provide a list of this year's FA WR and encourage speculation about who the Bills should target, beyond the top 3 or 4 (though I personally wouldn't mind us making a play for Robby Anderson - he craycray tho). 

https://www.fftoday.com/nfl/freeagents.php?o=1&PosID=30

Pick 3, and say why.  UFA only, please.

Overall, I'm looking for guys with a bit more size and catch radius than we've got on the roster, who look as though they might be able to take a step in the right circumstance (fit the Beane profile)

My 3:
Cody Lattimer.  Unimpressive with DEN, but showed some flashes for the Giants in 2018 then got injured.   Up and down season last year.  Doesn't drop much.  6'2", ran a 4.44s 40 and had a 39" vertical back in the day.  Weird legal trouble back in 2016 (DV...but he says he was the victim).  Take a careful look at his film, see if he looks like a guy who could bloom here.

Tajae Sharp.  He's been unspectacular so far, but he was a guy from lower competition (U Mass) who may have taken a while to adjust, and was hampered by injury (lost his 2nd season).  His catch % took a huge jump this year, up to 74% and very few drops, but he was buried way deep on the Titans depth chart behind Brown, Davis, and Jonnu Smith so he didn't get many looks.  He's 6'2"  and ran a 4.55 40. He's got some personal legal trouble from 2017 that would warrant looking into.  If his film shows well, he might be a guy ready to take a step.

Seth Roberts.  Take a guy with decent hands (60% overall catch %) and size (6'2"), bury him on the depth chart behind 3 great TE, Marquise Brown, and Willie Sneed, and who do you get?  Seth Roberts, that's who.   He doesn't drop the ball, and he's a good downfield blocker.   I'm pretty sure the Ravens signed him as a "back up plan" in case Brown needed development time.  Seems like he could serve the same role here. 

• Like (+1) 2

**Edit: Aw, shoot. You said free agent WIDE RECEIVERS. I missed that last part. Ah well, the below listed players are who I like in free agency. The draft is where I want to see wide receivers added. They already have two trusty vets starting at WR in Brown and Beasley. Sorry I blew the thread topic**

Kyler Fackrell, LB - Can play stack linebacker on 1st and 2nd down and rush the passer on 3rd down. Essentially, he would take over Lorenzo Alexander's role.

Alec Ogletree, LB - If the Bills decide they don't want to even TRY to find a guy who can do what 'Zo did -- and that would be understandable, because he played a really unique role -- and that they want to go with more of a traditional WILL, I think Alec Ogletree would fit in really well. I doubt he'd break the bank, either.

Vernon Butler, DT - Can play 1T and 3T. Former 1st round talent who isn't a gamebreaker, but can add great rotational value and versaitility.

Ultimately, I'd like to see the Bills come out of free agency with a linebacker, corner, DT, and perhaps an Edge, as well. In short, I want to see them fill their defensive holes and depth chart via free agency. As I see it, the defense already has its young core, which were pretty much all drafted by this regime (Oliver, Edmunds, Milano, White, etc). Some savvy veterans who can fill specific roles would complement this young, homegrown core well. 

Conversely, I feel the offense has the opposite problem. It saw an influx of veterans and role players last year -- Brown, Beasley, Morse, Feliciano, Kroft -- but this year I'd like to see an infusion of youth. Allen, Singletary, and Knox were a great start. They need more.

Free agency: fill out the defense with veterans. 
Draft: Infuse the offense with dynamic, young weapons.

Edited by Logic

To be honest, I'm not too thrilled with the WR free agents. Last year I really wanted John Brown and we got him. This year nobody jumps out to me. Wouldn't mind Amari Cooper, but he is about to get overpaid.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Kyler Fackrell, LB - Can play stack linebacker on 1st and 2nd down and rush the passer on 3rd down. Essentially, he would take over Lorenzo Alexander's role.

Alec Ogletree, LB - If the Bills decide they don't want to even TRY to find a guy who can do what 'Zo did -- and that would be understandable, because he played a really unique role -- and that they want to go with more of a traditional WILL, I think Alec Ogletree would fit in really well. I doubt he'd break the bank, either.

Vernon Butler, DT - Can play 1T and 3T. Former 1st round talent who isn't a gamebreaker, but can add great rotational value and versaitility.

Ultimately, I'd like to see the Bills come out of free agency with a linebacker, corner, DT, and perhaps an Edge, as well. In short, I want to see them fill their defensive holes and depth chart via free agency. As I see it, the defense already has its young core, which were pretty much all drafted by this regime (Oliver, Edmunds, Milano, White, etc). Some savvy veterans who can fill specific roles would complement this young, homegrown core well. 

Conversely, I feel the offense has the opposite problem. It saw an influx of veterans and role players last year -- Brown, Beasley, Morse, Feliciano, Kroft -- but this year I'd like to see an infusion of youth. Allen, Singletary, and Knox were a great start. They need more.

Free agency: fill out the defense with veterans. 
Draft: Infuse the offense with dynamic, young weapons.

Good choices, but again, as the subject: said, FA WR please.  I edited the OP text to clarify

Did the name of this thread change after the first two replies?

also, I like Sharpe as a sleeper. He’s shown flashes and it’s hard to judge him coming from the mess that Tennessee's offense has been in the past, and now that they’ve figured it out he was buried on the Depth... might be worth a flier. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good choices, but again, as the subject: said, FA WR please.  I edited the OP text to clarify

Sorry, I just saw that. My bad. 

Have edited my reply with a line at the top accordingly.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Emmanuel Sanders, Robbie Anderson, Paul Richardson 

Interesting choices - care to say why? 

Richardson interests me as well.  I'm wondering why the Skins released him, though.  Was it a cap move?

He had a good 2017 for Seattle, perhaps moving to a Dumpster Fire Team threw him off track and he could get back.

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Did the name of this thread change after the first two replies?

No, WR was always in the name, and in the list of FA I provided.... but I didn't reiterate it in the top line of the OP so I went back and added that.

also, I like Sharpe as a sleeper. He’s shown flashes and it’s hard to judge him coming from the mess that Tennessee's offense has been in the past, and now that they’ve figured it out he was buried on the Depth... might be worth a flier. 

At least worth a careful look at his film for Beane and Co.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

To be honest, I'm not too thrilled with the WR free agents. Last year I really wanted John Brown and we got him. This year nobody jumps out to me. Wouldn't mind Amari Cooper, but he is about to get overpaid.

I had the same conclusion after looking at the list.  There's no one on there after Cooper who I'm enthused about.  Green and Sanders are good but I want youth.

Robby Anderson does intrigue me if we think we can control the craycray; because the market is so thin I'm betting on "overpaid" for him.

I do feel we should take a shot on bringing in some guys to at least be a "backup plan" if we draft a rookie who needs development time.  Of course, whether or not that makes sense would depend upon whether they think they'll bring back McKensie and what they think they might see out of Duke.

Tajae sharpe has a lot of potential. 
He’s not the #1 prototype guy everyone wants but he would be a very safe signing as backup in case you can’t get the high profile receiver you want in the draft.

Tennessee is very known for not giving playing time to their better players. Hence why henry sat behind demarco Murray and even back seated to Dion Lewis a bit before he caught fire at the end of last season. This year was actually Henry’s first real season as the feature back.

Mularkey was terrible on personnel.

Back to the point though sharpe had a real breakout season as a rookie and kinda faded after. He’s a low risk possible high reward kinda guy. I enjoyed watching his game in his rookie season 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 2

Most years I'd be all over this.

But this year, I'm interested in zero FA WR's.

Mainly because our top two WR's are going to be on the wrong side of 30 this season, and this upcoming draft is stacked with WRs with value right through round 6.

I can't look at the WR's who will likely want too much money, and/or have injury histories etc while we could use some FA targeting money for other positions like O-line (IMO our greatest FA need).

• Like (+1) 3

Demarcus Robinson - Still young (25); improved stats every year; poised to take a bigger role

Taylor Gabriel - I think he could be better than Isiah McKenize in the gadget role

AJ Green - because I met him in the Cincy airport one time and he was nice to me..

Preference - draft Bryan Edwards and Chase Claypool

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting choices - care to say why? 

Richardson interests me as well.  I'm wondering why the Skins released him, though.  Was it a cap move?

He had a good 2017 for Seattle, perhaps moving to a Dumpster Fire Team threw him off track and he could get back.

—Emmanuel Sanders would be the best wr on the team 

— Robbie Anderson is pretty solid at catching deep balls 

—- Richardson is better than Duke.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

—Emmanuel Sanders would be the best wr on the team 

— Robbie Anderson is pretty solid at catching deep balls 

—- Richardson is better than Duke.  

I still think Anderson can be a top tier WR in this league, maybe smoking lots of pot will help him calm down. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Taysom Hill, Jack Conklin, Brandon Scherff, Bonus 3 Hunter Henry, Joe Schobert, HaHa Clinton Dix

0-6 you lose, punishment is you can not mention any players wearing #22 in the nfl for 6 weeks. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Sad 1