Football clichés

Hmm, I don't mind any of these (except the 110% one. That's just impossible.) They all convey a meaning that is easily understood and describes players adequately. Are we just supposed to say "he plays football well"?

• Like (+1) 1

A gunslinger 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Hmm, I don't mind any of these (except the 110% one. That's just impossible.) They all convey a meaning that is easily understood and describes players adequately. Are we just supposed to say "he plays football well"?

How about downhill runner ?

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You are correct.  I always thought that was misunderstood by most people - and that’s why it’s so cliche.  You can’t show up one day and just try harder.  The only way you can give 110% is if you work your butt off to be 10% better than you are now.  In the gym, on the practice field and in the film room.  It’s about making improvements and getting better.  No one explains that.

No, 110% is impossible. If you are working harder, that means you went from like 80% effort to 85%. 100% is the maximum you can possibly give at a given point in time and probably involves so much strain that you die.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I don't think you understand the intent of the OP - just try to listen to Mel Kiper the entire draft and count all the cliches he uses ..... maddening

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

A gunslinger 

How about downhill runner ?

A downhill runner is a player that carries the ball in a North/South fashion. They go straight forward and don't mess around trying to go outside and around the edge of the defensive line.

An adequate description of one type of running back.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaninATL said:

I don't think you understand the intent of the OP - just try to listen to Mel Kiper the entire draft and count all the cliches he uses ..... maddening

I would say that the cliche's themselves are generally decent terms of used correctly and if enough homework is done on a player to apply the terminology, but of course there are draft "experts" like Kiper who just like to hear themselves talk and use the terminology without merit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

applicable to all sports...

110%

god i hate that

Also 

A player's coach

and just for bill fans

Trust the process

My 8th grade daughter right now has a 108% grade in math (it shows on the online portal). I guess through extra credit or bonus questions.

I told her she should tell her teacher that her dad said that a grade over 100% is not mathematically possible, just to mess with him.

• Haha (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, MJS said:

A downhill runner is a player that carries the ball in a North/South fashion. They go straight forward and don't mess around trying to go outside and around the edge of the defensive line.

An adequate description of one type of running back.

Aren't the endzones in the Ralph east and west? So a north/south runner would not do well in Buffalo.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chicharito said:

You forgot the most annoying and over used one “elite”. I can’t stand this phrase!

This ^^^

There are a lot of very good players in the league, that get called elite, but are not. Elite if it is to have any gravitas should mean once in a generation type of football player, not this years very good prospects. Elite mean you kick ass for your career, not just last season. Jmo,?

For me “solid” is over used, it means average..

• Like (+1) 1

--Playoff caliber/Championship caliber (as opposed to CFL caliber?)

--Corn-fed (are there groups of people other than O-linemen who also enjoy lots of corn?)

--Deceptively quick  (either he's quick or he's not, how is there any deception here??)

--Takes care of the football (because everyone else tries to scuff it up?)

--Throwback (you know, 2yds & a cloud of dust kind of guy)

2 hours ago, MJS said:

No, 110% is impossible. If you are working harder, that means you went from like 80% effort to 85%. 100% is the maximum you can possibly give at a given point in time and probably involves so much strain that you die.

What I’m saying is that a young athlete can be smarter, wiser and in better shape in the future than they are today.  So it’s not better than their peak potential, it’s better than their current reality.