Justin Jefferson should be our WR target at 22

DJB

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Unless Philly moves up for a WR I think Jefferson is their pick at 21.

Ruggs seems more like their type, but yes I do think Jefferson could be an option for them 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DJB said:

Ruggs seems more like their type, but yes I do think Jefferson could be an option for them 

Right now I have Philly going to 16 for Ruggs...that makes it more likely (though not quite probable IMO) that JJ makes it to 22.

Jefferson can play both outside and the slot. The reason he played in the slot a lot last year is because you had the best WR in the country in Ja’marr Chase on one side, and Terrace Marshall on the other. Marshall is a 6’5 receiver who is not nearly as shifty and versatile as Jefferson, so you couldn’t put Marshall in the slot.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Height: 6’1″
Weight: 202 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.43 seconds
Vertical Jump: 37.5 inches

I was a huge Jefferson fan well before the combine and now his numbers back up a first round pedigree. I think hed be an outstanding selection at 22 for the Bills.

You had me at 37.5" vertical jump

I thought people said his route running was raw though?

I’ve started boarding the Jefferson train too.  I think there is a decent chance he will be the pick at 22 if:  Juedy, Lamb, and Ruggs are all off the board and so is Chaisson.  

I could still see them taking Epenesa or Matos too given the depth at WR and maybe target a WR in round 2 too.  

But are those two edge guys really that much higher grade than say Anae on Beanes board will be the real question.  Especially after Epenesa didn’t have a great combine in terms of speed/agility.  If not, then think they go for WR and look to snag someone like Anae in round 2 or even 3 (although I don’t expect him to last to round 3 anymore after the combine).  

Edited by Alphadawg7

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You had me at 37.5" vertical jump

I thought people said his route running was raw though?

He mentions that the LSU offence was mostly predicted on shorter routes. But I dont think his route running is raw. I think it's very good

2 hours ago, DJB said:

Height: 6’1″
Weight: 202 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.43 seconds
Vertical Jump: 37.5 inches
Broad Jump: 126.0 inches

Justin Jefferson had (2019):
• A 92.3% contested catch rate (highest of all draft eligible WR)
• Forced 23 missed tackles

• Most catches and yards from the slot

Hes very versatile. Jefferson primarily operated out of the slot this past season (78% in 2019, according to PFF). In his sophomore year he exclusively played outside as the X

Hes a process guy. Donated the money he got from Odell to his Church.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4869373002

Listen to him here. Extremely intelligent and well spoken (55:17) https://art19.com/shows/move-the-sticks/episodes/b8f18124-7ec1-49ce-94c5-a063c0c86627

Now the breakdown of the player. https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/03/justin-jefferson-is-a-separation-artist/

(Fantastic article well worth the free click)

(Highlight video)

I was a huge Jefferson fan well before the combine and now his numbers back up a first round pedigree. I think hed be an outstanding selection at 22 for the Bills. 

It's like I'm looking at video of myself when I was 21 years old.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Unless Philly moves up for a WR I think Jefferson is their pick at 21.

I don’t see Philly taking him over Juedy, Ruggs, or Lamb.  And I don’t see those 3 all being gone before Phillys pick.  If they are, then yes, I think Jefferson is a near lock to Philly.  But i have a hard time mocking 3 WRs in the top 20 picks this year.  Could happen of course, but just not seeing it as likely especially with how deep the WR class is.

I’ll take any weapons we add for Josh, but I do feel there’s a huge drop from Lamb/Jeudy to everyone else.  

Lamb/Jeudy is the type we need.  If we’re staying put at 22, I’d rather take BPA and not reach for WR. If they believe a WR is BPA there, so be it. 

This fascination with Ruggs, Shenault and now Jefferson puzzles me. They are all relatively small burners which, let's not forget, is more or less what Brown and Beasley are. Unless you're getting rid of one of them, why draft another small receiver when the real need is for a big, go up and get everything, possession receiver like Michael Pittman. 

7 minutes ago, yungmack said:

This fascination with Ruggs, Shenault and now Jefferson puzzles me. They are all relatively small burners which, let's not forget, is more or less what Brown and Beasley are. Unless you're getting rid of one of them, why draft another small receiver when the real need is for a big, go up and get everything, possession receiver like Michael Pittman. 

Jefferson and Shenault are not small and are not burners. Ruggs is, but the level of playmaking that Ruggs can bring to the team is a total game-changer, probably moreso than any other WR that is within our grasp. I think Ruggs will require a trade-up though and I'm not really in favor of that. But long story short, Ruggs will put pressure on defenses every single snap he's on the field and that just isn't the case with Brown and Beasley; Ruggs is the kind of player that can be the key to your offense due to what he can do with the ball as well as what he can do without it.

I don't think Jefferson and Shenault are similar to him at all.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Jefferson and Shenault are not small and are not burners. Ruggs is, but the level of playmaking that Ruggs can bring to the team is a total game-changer, probably moreso than any other WR that is within our grasp. I think Ruggs will require a trade-up though and I'm not really in favor of that. But long story short, Ruggs will put pressure on defenses every single snap he's on the field and that just isn't the case with Brown and Beasley; Ruggs is the kind of player that can be the key to your offense due to what he can do with the ball as well as what he can do without it.

At the combine, the supposedly 6'2'' Shenault came in at under 6'1''. Slow 40 time but he was injured and is having "core" surgery. I liked him in college but I don't see what need he fills for the Bills.

I'd be happy with Jefferson.  I also get the reasoning that WR is a far deeper position in the draft than Edge rusher, and Buffalo might better get the best available edge rusher at #22 and pick up a WR in round 2 or 3,

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I don't think Jefferson and Shenault are similar to him at all.

Jefferson was measured at 6'1'' at the combine and ran, I believe, a.4.43. Again, a great receiver but one who doesn't fill the real WR need for the Bill s. 

Just now, yungmack said:

Jefferson was measured at 6'1'' at the combine and ran, I believe, a.4.43. Again, a great receiver but one who doesn't fill the real WR need for the Bill s. 

I mean, 6'1", 4.43 speed, and statistically the best in the class at making contested catches is pretty much exactly what you would think the Bills are looking for.

The question is if he can do it outside after mostly feasting on people in the slot.

I won't try to defend Shenault; he's a 2nd or 3rd round prospect to me.