Justin Jefferson should be our WR target at 22

DJB

Height: 6’1″
Weight: 202 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.43 seconds
Vertical Jump: 37.5 inches
Broad Jump: 126.0 inches

Justin Jefferson had (2019):
• A 92.3% contested catch rate (highest of all draft eligible WR)
• Forced 23 missed tackles

• Most catches and yards from the slot

Hes very versatile. Jefferson primarily operated out of the slot this past season (78% in 2019, according to PFF). In his sophomore year he exclusively played outside as the X

Hes a process guy. Donated the money he got from Odell to his Church.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4869373002

Listen to him here. Extremely intelligent and well spoken (55:17) https://art19.com/shows/move-the-sticks/episodes/b8f18124-7ec1-49ce-94c5-a063c0c86627

Now the breakdown of the player. https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/03/justin-jefferson-is-a-separation-artist/

(Fantastic article well worth the free click)

(Highlight video)

I was a huge Jefferson fan well before the combine and now his numbers back up a first round pedigree. I think hed be an outstanding selection at 22 for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 13

Just now, Plano said:

too short.

We need a WR that is at least 6'5"

I agree that it would be great to get a taller receiver, but I truly believe that Jefferson will end up being one of the top 2 receivers in this draft when all is said and done. Really hard to pass on him if he is there. I know there are a lot of Laviska Shenault fans on this board, but his injury history concerns me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The write up here makes it seem like he a dynamic play maker, which is probably what you want in the first round, but he really is more of a possession receiver.  Great hands, great blocker but that 4.4 speed doesnt show up on tape, and he certainly isnt someone who is going to take a 2 yard pas to the house.   What you want from someone with his size and speed metrics is to come in and be Chris Godwin, but his game is a lot closer to what Zay Jones was coming into the league.  Not saying he is going to be Zay Jones, but he really is more of a possession receiver.  Rather see what we can get out of Higgins or Mims if we draft a receiver at 22.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The write up here makes it seem like he a dynamic play maker, which is probably what you want in the first round, but he really is more of a possession receiver.  Great hands, great blocker but that 4.4 speed doesnt show up on tape, and he certainly isnt someone who is going to take a 2 yard pas to the house.   What you want from someone with his size and speed metrics is to come in and be Chris Godwin, but his game is a lot closer to what Zay Jones was coming into the league.  Not saying he is going to be Zay Jones, but he really is more of a possession receiver.  Rather see what we can get out of Higgins or Mims if we draft a receiver at 22.

Guy makes plays down the field though.  He just doesn't bring actual 4.4 separation to the tape.  He makes a lot of plays, great at high pointing - great at contested catches down field and over the middle.  I also feel like he's that guy thats just... open when you scramble.  Finds the open grass or something.  Shades of doug baldwin.  

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I don't think he's very similar to Zay, but the same concern of how he translates to playing outside is definitely there. There's a chance he ends up just being a better version of Jordan Matthews or something, which would have value but would be a disappointing 1st round pick.

He's definitely among the group of probably 3 WRs that I would consider at 22 though: Jefferson, Reagor, and Higgins (pending his pro day).

From what I have seen and read, Jefferson had most of his success from the slot. When facing press coverage by outside corners, he did not fare so well.

I'm not sure I believe he can thrive on the outside in the NFL. I view him more as a Jordan Matthews "big slot" type.

Given that the Bills seem to really like Cole Beasley, and that they spent just about all of last year getting him acclimated with Josh Allen, I'm not sure I see the need for another slot receiver -- at least not with the 22nd pick.

• Like (+1) 3

Kid is definitely a winner, but there are legit questions about how dynamic he will be in the NFL.  Playing with Burrow and another WR who will probably be a top 10 overall pick next year also greatly helped his production.  Teams weren’t really able to key on him.  I like him.  Not sure I like him enough at 22.    

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Kid is definitely a winner, but there are legit questions about how dynamic he will be in the NFL.  Playing with Burrow and another WR who will probably be a top 10 overall pick next year also greatly helped his production.  Teams weren’t really able to key on him.  I like him.  Not sure I like him enough at 22.    

Everyone said the same thing about DK Metcalf last year, and he had a pretty good rookie season.

Just now, Lurker said:

Totally different players, but...sure, the same likely outcome.   

Oh, I agree, very different styles. I just meant people said he did not get keyed on by the defense because of the talent around him.  For some reason, I see him on the Saints, (probably the Louisiana thing, but his skills would fit too) or the Patriots. (that would suck, especially if Brady stayed).

That being said, I would not be upset if we drafted him at 22. 

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Oh, I agree, very different styles. I just meant people said he did not get keyed on by the defense because of the talent around him.  For some reason, I see him on the Saints, (probably the Louisiana thing, but his skills would fit too) or the Patriots. (that would suck, especially if Brady stayed).

That being said, I would not be upset if we drafted him at 22. 

I agree with you on the Patriots.   He seems like the kind of WR they've loved over the years.

I would like Jefferson on the Bills, but I'm not sure about at #22.    A lot more info and pro days has to bubble up yet before we can hone in on the best targets there...

If one of the top 3 Wr falls to 16 or 17, I think they try to trade up. If not, I think they would like to see Chaisson or Epenesa. If none of the 3 falls and neither edge player is there (and they don’t trade down) I’m starting to like Denzel Mims who is an elite athlete. More height. More hops. More straight line speed. Also very productive. 

• Like (+1) 2