This is the year to trade down and pick up multiple Day 2 picks

Estro

On 3/6/2020 at 2:21 AM, Estro said:

If there's one minor complaint I have with the Bills under the Beane/McDermott era its their propensity to always want to trade up in Rounds 2 & 3. Now they have hit on their fair share of players, but trading up in the draft, as a whole, has proven to be a losing strategy longterm.

This year I'm getting the sense the Bills are going to make the smart move and look to sell the #22 pick. Beane, in an interview, gave a hypothetical, but he kind of tipped his hand and admitted the strength of this draft is in rounds 2 and 3......and I think the Bills would love to be in a position position to pick 4 maybe even 5 players in Rounds 2 & 3 of the NFL draft.  How?

Glad you asked......

Trade pick #22 to a QB needy team looking to leapfrog the Patriots at pick #23.  There are quite a few teams this could apply to, but for the sake of this scenario let's use the Colts who have picks #34 & #75 (which happens to be an almost exact match on the trade value chart)

Now the Bills are sitting with picks #34, #54, #75 & #86 and #100 (via a trade up with our 4th and both 5ths, because you know they can't go a whole draft without getting an itch for a trade up)

Under this scenario you could have a 2nd day as follows:

#34 - Yetur Gross Matos (DE)

#54 - Clyde Edwards-Helaire (RB)

#75 - Damon Arnette (CB)

#86 - Bryan Edwards (WR)

#100 - KJ Hill (slot WR)

NO. We NEED elite playmakers. Time for quality over quantity. We built up the team depth last year. Now we need some home run hitters...……………...

I am all against trading back this year. We need a premier WR1 and this is the draft to get 1. IMO trading back is less likely for us to get one of those top guys we covet. It will all be a much clearer picture in a few weeks when we see if we get a FA OT and DE. If we get both than we are all in on trading up for a two 2-3 WR IMO. 

8 hours ago, DE Bills Fan said:

NO. We NEED elite playmakers. Time for quality over quantity. We built up the team depth last year. Now we need some home run hitters...……………...

This team still has holes. Perhaps they can be filled via Free Agency, but Beane has stated he does not expect to spend big. 

While the Bills are in their "rookie contract" window, they still appear to want to set the team up for long term success. To just throw away picks to target specific players/positions seems to go against that.

25 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

This team still has holes. Perhaps they can be filled via Free Agency, but Beane has stated he does not expect to spend big. 

While the Bills are in their "rookie contract" window, they still appear to want to set the team up for long term success. To just throw away picks to target specific players/positions seems to go against that.

Who said anything about throwing away picks?

If you're talking about trading picks to move up that's hardly throwing them away.  Are you upset with the Allen pick? Edmunds?  Beane has shown he deserves our trust, no?

2 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

This is not a super bowl roster despite what some think. Quantity has worked for good teams. 

Who thinks it's a Super Bowl roster?

Edited by Shaw66

13 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Beane’s track record suggests he’s way more likely to trade up, rather than trading down (especially multiple times in the same draft.) But it’s speculation season so have at it.

If you value the quality of players available day 2, you have to consider trading back. There's no way we spend the picks to trade up for Jeudy or Lamb. There's no elite edge rushers that will be there at 22. So that leaves doing the prudent thing. Load up on 2 wrs rather than one and maybe you can also target a edge guy like Anae?

25 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If you value the quality of players available day 2, you have to consider trading back. There's no way we spend the picks to trade up for Jeudy or Lamb. There's no elite edge rushers that will be there at 22. So that leaves doing the prudent thing. Load up on 2 wrs rather than one and maybe you can also target a edge guy like Anae?

i don’t think he’d trade up earlier into rd 1 from 22, but based on his record I could see him trading up earlier in rds 2 or 3. 

On 3/6/2020 at 2:30 PM, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Exactly. We have nine picks now. After free  agency, we may have fewer holes to fill. If we didn't trade UP we may not have had the quartback of our defense and a potential all-star @ MLB. Trading up or standing pat is the answer. QUALITY>QUANTITY

Sent you a PM days ago and haven't heard from you.

I think both theories may be possible.  Acquiring another second day pick and one for next year is attractive, and also using the extra later round picks to target guys in 2 through 4. 

The best of both worlds perhaps.