Jets Quinnen Williams Arrested in NY

Someone should sit him down and explain to him that when you do stupid things as a player in the NFL expected to do great things, you can lose it all.  Unfortunately, some people are what I call "stubborn stupid."  If someone is stubborn stupid, they will continue to do stupid stuff even after they have paid a price for it multiple times.  Whether Williams fits that mold or not remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

This guy is not in law enforcement though... what kind of person who isn't packs a gun in their luggage? Sounds utterly stupid to me.

Call it what you want, Williams is not alone if he forgot the gun was in his luggage.

5 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Call it what you want, Williams is not alone if he forgot the gun was in his luggage.

so it's commonplace for people to store their guns at home...in their luggage, and then take the gun out of the luggage before they travel--so this doesn't happen to them?

Why the luggage? Why not a gun safe or lock box?

12 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I have several thoughts about this... 

1- I feel bad for whatever stupid lapse of judgment and lack of wise council caused this kid (22yr old) to not realize how much of an idiot he was being here. This will cause him issues- hopefully nothing too serious. 

2- We got the better DT in the draft. That was clear in play, but this drives that home some. 

3- Anything that makes the Jets look like more of a pile of ***** is good for me!

Damn I couldn’t agree more on all 3 !!!

GO Bills 

Edited by Putin

4 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Gun laws need to be normalized across the country but still stupid for him to do this. 

Gun laws were normalized in 1789, however jurisdictions have continually encroached upon an inherent human right

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

so it's commonplace for people to store their guns at home...in their luggage, and then take the gun out of the luggage before they travel--so this doesn't happen to them?

Why the luggage? Why not a gun safe or lock box?

Good question about the luggage.  I don't know the answer.  People, for whatever reason, get the gun but not necessarily a safe or lockbox.  

58 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Who the funk needs a handgun anyway? This isn't Dodge City in 1875. For that matter, you had to surrender your guns to enter 1875 Dodge City. 

He grew up in Birmingham, Alabama.  It's one of the most dangerous/murderous cities in our country. 

Edited by soflabillsfan1

2 hours ago, essential said:

Forgive my ignorance on the topic, but I thought it was illegal to bring a firearm on a plane (unless you're an air marshall) everywhere in the US. So if you have a legal permit to carry, and you're flying to a place where the laws are the same, you can bring it on the flight? That seems crazy.

Federal law enforcement are allowed to carry onto a plane.  You declare at security, show your ID, fill out a form, and bypass the usual routine.

FWIW (I'm assuming my friend is misinformed), a friend of mine works at the airport and was there when this all went down. He says Quinnen had the gun in his checked baggage and one of the workers at the airport saw it was an athlete and illegally went through his bag and found the gun and then it turned into this.

13 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I own guns and I have a CC, but I certainly don't travel from Oregon to CA thinking gun laws are the same, I believe NY is just as strict with their gun laws as California is. 

Isn't the issue here bringing a gun in a carry on?

26 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

FWIW (I'm assuming my friend is misinformed), a friend of mine works at the airport and was there when this all went down. He says Quinnen had the gun in his checked baggage and one of the workers at the airport saw it was an athlete and illegally went through his bag and found the gun and then it turned into this.

Define "illegally."  TSA gets pretty wide latitude when it comes to baggage screening.

Story sounds like bunk, which I can see you're already assuming.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, essential said:

Forgive my ignorance on the topic, but I thought it was illegal to bring a firearm on a plane (unless you're an air marshall) everywhere in the US. So if you have a legal permit to carry, and you're flying to a place where the laws are the same, you can bring it on the flight? That seems crazy.

Except if you are connecting through a NYC area airport.

My brother is the ops manager for AA @ LaGuardia, he said this happens on a WEEKLY basis there. People travelling from southern states, or from the mid west on business, and their flights get diverted into the NYC area (weather, aircraft malfunction, etc). Once the plane lands, NYPD is there at the gate to arrest you (your weapons are declared to TSA, so they see the gun on the paperwork when it lands and docks at the gate). The Queens county DA hits you with felony weapons charges which carry 2 yrs in prison, and a $10,000 fine. At a minimum you will have to pay the fine (not to mention exorbitant legal bills), avoiding jail time only if you have no priors.

The messed up thing is most of these people intentionally tried to avoid connecting in NYC, and circumstances beyond their control forced them to be there against their will. 

Edited by MILFHUNTER#518
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Define "illegally."  TSA gets pretty wide latitude when it comes to baggage screening.

Story sounds like bunk, which I can see you're already assuming.

Yeah, that's all the detail he gave us. Feel like if there was an illegal search, Q's lawyer would have led off with that instead of saying something along the lines of it being a harmless mistake and that it'll be sorted out soon.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Except if you are connecting through a NYC area airport.

My brother is the ops manager for AA @ LaGuardia, he said this happens on a WEEKLY basis there. People travelling from southern states, or from the mid west on business, and their flights get diverted into the NYC area (weather, aircraft malfunction, etc). Once the plane lands, NYPD is there at the gate to arrest you (your weapons are declared to TSA, so they see the gun on the paperwork when it lands and docks at the gate). The Queens county DA hits you with felony weapons charges which carry 2 yrs in prison, and a $10,000 fine. At a minimum you will have to pay the fine (not to mention exorbitant legal bills), avoiding jail time only if you have no priors.

The messed up thing is most of these people intentionally tried to avoid connecting in NYC, and circumstances beyond their control forced them to be there against their will. 

If that is true, that is absolutely insane. 

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yeah, that's all the detail he gave us. Feel like if there was an illegal search, Q's lawyer would have led off with that instead of saying something along the lines of it being a harmless mistake and that it'll be sorted out soon.

Q's lawyer sucks.  "Technical error regarding storage."  BS, everyone knows you can't just toss a gun, unloaded or not, into your luggage without any sort of paperwork.  I hope the ADA is a Pats*** fan.