Jets Quinnen Williams Arrested in NY

44 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Gun laws need to be normalized across the country but still stupid for him to do this. 

Not sure if there are mandatory penalties in NYS.  In NJ, there are no options from the mandatory jail time.  I was always afraid I would forget and take my legal gun from NY into NJ (driving) and it would be found. 

Unfortunate for him but I do not feel bad for the impact on the Jets.

It's one of the issues that the Fed has pushed on states, so the enforcement and laws are different.  

6 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I did 23 years in law enforcement.  I would not be surprised if he literally forgot he had the gun in the luggage.  I know it sounds whacked but a fair number of people store their gun in their luggage at their home.  They pack for a trip and forget the damn gun is in there.  It would not be the first time I heard this.  

My wife works for TSA and the amount of times she reads about someone accidentally bringing a loaded gun to the airport is alarming.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, fansince88 said:

This explains  it all: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

That said, I m a NYS CC Permit holder. It is my duty to know the laws of each state. You cannot legally posses in NYC without written consent by NYPD. I have family on Long Island. I could carry to LI from my county with my weapon stored the way it is explained in the first two paragraphs of the article without consent but can be arrested for it. If I dont get consent first I do not carry "through" NYC. That said, I also have a Utah permit that gives me lefal right to carry 42 states the time. That has changed in the last 9 years since I got it. For instance Pennsylvania no longer accepts the Utah Permit. But I can in Delaware.  So, I can travel under US law through Pennsylvania without overniting to go to Delaware with the proper transportation requirements in the first two paragraphs. NYS does not recognise any other states carry permits so the Alabama permit does not hold give him permission in  NYS and if he did not get permission in NYC he is screwed. 

there was a receiver (Pittsburg guy I recall) that spent the last couple of years of his career in a prison in NY for carrying in NYC without a liscense..  who remembers the name?  Oh yeah, he is shot himself in the leg in a bar....I recall.

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

Gun laws need to be normalized across the country but still stupid for him to do this. 

Not sure if there are mandatory penalties in NYS.  In NJ, there are no options from the mandatory jail time.  I was always afraid I would forget and take my legal gun from NY into NJ (driving) and it would be found. 

Unfortunate for him but I do not feel bad for the impact on the Jets.

NY won't agree. And, other states are somewhat vindictive toward NYers because of that.  I got a permit in Fl after having a NY CCP for a dozen years.....I had to do the whole thing over for Fl.  Good news was the Fl permit is good in 39 states (I think)  NY has no reciprocity arrangement, contending other standards are to weak.  I will admit, though, that my NY state NRA safety course did have cred in Fl.

Edited by bigK14094
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Gisele said:

Hate it for anyone that gets caught up in these weird NY gun laws.  I'm a cop in another state and I don't know if I am legally allowed to carry in NY.

If you actually need the info feel free to PM me.

• Like (+1) 1

Forgive my ignorance on the topic, but I thought it was illegal to bring a firearm on a plane (unless you're an air marshall) everywhere in the US. So if you have a legal permit to carry, and you're flying to a place where the laws are the same, you can bring it on the flight? That seems crazy.

4 minutes ago, essential said:

Forgive my ignorance on the topic, but I thought it was illegal to bring a firearm on a plane (unless you're an air marshall) everywhere in the US. So if you have a legal permit to carry, and you're flying to a place where the laws are the same, you can bring it on the flight? That seems crazy.

You can check your firearm per TSA regulations.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I did 23 years in law enforcement.  I would not be surprised if he literally forgot he had the gun in the luggage.  I know it sounds whacked but a fair number of people store their gun in their luggage at their home.  They pack for a trip and forget the damn gun is in there.  It would not be the first time I heard this.  

This guy is not in law enforcement though... what kind of person who isn't packs a gun in their luggage? Sounds utterly stupid to me.

38 minutes ago, essential said:

In checked baggage locked in a case.....