Jets Quinnen Williams Arrested in NY

"New York Jets defensive lineman Quinnen Williams was arrested Thursday night for allegedly possessing a gun at LaGuardia Airport, according to Port Authority officials.

Williams, 22, was about to catch a plane out of town when he was arrested at 9:15 p.m. for criminal possession of a weapon, an Authority spokesperson said.

Williams, who was drafted No. 3 overall by the Jets in 2019, had a permit for the weapon, but it was licensed in Alabama, the spokesperson said. Under New York law, it is generally only legal to carry a concealed weapon in the state if it has a New York license.

It is unclear if Williams is being accused of trying to take the gun on the plane.

Neither the Jets nor Williams’ agent, Nicole Lynn, immediately responded to requests for comment.

Lynn, an agent for Young Money APAA Sports, tweeted earlier Thursday that more than half of the players represented by the agency were heading to Mexico for an event together. It was not immediately clear if Williams was en route to the event."

NY POST

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have several thoughts about this... 

1- I feel bad for whatever stupid lapse of judgment and lack of wise council caused this kid (22yr old) to not realize how much of an idiot he was being here. This will cause him issues- hopefully nothing too serious. 

2- We got the better DT in the draft. That was clear in play, but this drives that home some. 

3- Anything that makes the Jets look like more of a pile of ***** is good for me!

• Like (+1) 14
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I mean he had an actual permit for it so it's mostly just being an idiot about interstate gun laws/transportation laws. If you're going to own a gun it's on you to learn the laws that apply to it.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 9

Just now, Warcodered said:

I mean he had an actual permit for it so it's mostly just being an idiot about interstate gun laws/transportation laws. If you're going to own a gun it's on you to learn the laws that apply to it.

I own guns and I have a CC, but I certainly don't travel from Oregon to CA thinking gun laws are the same, I believe NY is just as strict with their gun laws as California is. 

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean, it sounds like he was in NYC with the gun, which is strike one. He was in the airport with said gun, likely not following expected TSA procedures for airport/air travel with a firearm, strike two. And it even seems to indicate that he was trying to actually board the plane with the gun! That would be strike three, but of course we’ll have to wait to see what comes of it.

All that being said, isn’t it nice that stuff like this hasn’t happened since McD came? Correct me If I’m wrong but have any of our important players been in the news for negative things? (I know a couple PS/ training camp guys had issues) —— character  matters! Edit: he seems like a good kid, so maybe this isn’t so much character as just really really dumb!

7 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I own guns and I have a CC, but I certainly don't travel from Oregon to CA thinking gun laws are the same, I believe NY is just as strict with their gun laws as California is. 

Yep. #1 rule of firearm transport, be it plane, train, or automobile: you must be going from place A where it is legal and right for you to possess that firearm, to place B where it is also legal and right for you to possess that firearm.

Edited by whatdrought

11 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

Right I'd say it's a pretty obvious assumption to think that gun laws might different in New York than in Alabama.?‍♂️

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, it sounds like he was in NYC with the gun, which is strike one. He was in the airport with said gun, likely not following expected TSA procedures for airport/air travel with a firearm, strike two. And it even seems to indicate that he was trying to actually board the plane with the gun! That would be strike three, but of course we’ll have to wait to see what comes of it.

All that being said, isn’t it nice that stuff like this hasn’t happened since McD came? Correct me If I’m wrong but have any of our important players been in the news for negative things? (I know a couple PS/ training camp guys had issues) —— character  matters! Edit: he seems like a good kid, so maybe this isn’t so much character as just really really dumb!

Yep. #1 rule of firearm transport, be it plane, train, or automobile: you must be going from place A where it is legal and right for you to possess that firearm, to place B where it is also legal and right for you to possess that firearm.

What's really scary about this whole thing is him getting caught trying take it on this plane in New York when the license and where he got it is probably Alabama....so how'd it get here.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Right I'd say it's a pretty obvious assumption to think that gun laws might different in New York than in Alabama.?‍♂️

What's really scary about this whole thing is him getting caught trying take it on this plane in New York when the license and where he got it is probably Alabama....so how'd it get here.

Yep. That will be the conversation that they have. I don’t know what the rules are for possession of a firearm in NY state, but I think in the city it’s completely forbidden? Not sure on all that. 

New York has some of the most strict gun laws in the nation. Anyone who owns a gun should be aware of that, especially if you live there!

52 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Could have easily gotten there by car or bus.

• Haha (+1) 1

I did 23 years in law enforcement.  I would not be surprised if he literally forgot he had the gun in the luggage.  I know it sounds whacked but a fair number of people store their gun in their luggage at their home.  They pack for a trip and forget the damn gun is in there.  It would not be the first time I heard this.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

I did 23 years in law enforcement.  I would not be surprised if he literally forgot he had the gun in the luggage.  I know it sounds whacked but a fair number of people store their gun in their luggage at their home.  They pack for a trip and forget the damn gun is in there.  It would not be the first time I heard this.  

I was just thinking to myself, I’m sure glad my travel pro carryon doesn’t have a holster compartment.

oooos did I forget to leave Betsy home again?? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

This explains  it all: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

That said, I m a NYS CC Permit holder. It is my duty to know the laws of each state. You cannot legally posses in NYC without written consent by NYPD. I have family on Long Island. I could carry to LI from my county with my weapon stored the way it is explained in the first two paragraphs of the article without consent but can be arrested for it. If I dont get consent first I do not carry "through" NYC. That said, I also have a Utah permit that gives me lefal right to carry 42 states the time. That has changed in the last 9 years since I got it. For instance Pennsylvania no longer accepts the Utah Permit. But I can in Delaware.  So, I can travel under US law through Pennsylvania without overniting to go to Delaware with the proper transportation requirements in the first two paragraphs. NYS does not recognise any other states carry permits so the Alabama permit does not hold give him permission in  NYS and if he did not get permission in NYC he is screwed. 

Never ceases to amaze me how often these sorts of things occur.

Seems as though a lot of guys need everything explained in words of one syllable.

Mind you, you would think that when permits do get issued, they would stress where they are valid, and where they are not. 

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Everyone knows the strict gun laws in NY. Nope. Still a felony...plus other charges for trying to bring one on a plane.

Completely irresponsible behavior.