Trip to Florida...

LabattBlue

Cancelling any trip plans  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go or cancel?

• Take the trip
    • Cancel the trip

Seattle is about the only place I'd be concerned with flying to at this point.  And not even for me.....if you are relatively young and healthy, there's really nothing much to fear.  The issue with not flying is more about helping to contain the spread of the virus;  so if you're flying to go see your elderly mother, you might have reason to pause.  But for a vacation in FLA, don't think twice.

Here's a map from Johns Hopkins showing where and how many cases there are. This map was more up to date than the 6 o'clock news, showing a case that wasn't mentioned by the news. Click on the red dots for detailed info. The testing capacity has been ramping up all week, but won't be up to full capacity until the end of next week, so there could be lots of cases we don't see. There's no way to know until the tests are run. The best advice I saw was from a former head of the FDA who basically said unless you are travelling to someplace with an outbreak, there's no reason to cancel your trip. Please note, he didn't say anything about what you do when you get there. If you are headed to Iran to lick the Holy Relic, I'd say that's a hard no go.

I have a trip with a domestic flight planned for April and we haven't considered cancelling....yet.

I know someone at work who cancelled her Italy trip. I thought that was the smart choice, but I don't think it cost her anything to cancel.

I also have a friend who has a Caribbean cruise that (as of now) he still plans on taking. There's no way I'd get on a cruise ship right now.

As for you and your wife - assuming you're both in good health - take the trip and have a great time!

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Have a trip planned to Florida.  Fly out of Buffalo on Saturday.  Wife nervous about Corona virus.  Not sure if we should go and have a great time, or cancel?

What would you do?

Can I join you? I wouldn’t hesitate to go, but that’s me. I deeply regret leaving Sarasota for Atlanta. Hoping to correct that one day. It’s currently 73 in Sarasota.

If you have any Corona issues, I hope it’s from beer on the beach. I’m not a going to the Orlando parks guy, so that’s not even a question. 

1 hour ago, johndhall1 said:

I’m going to savannah in two weeks. Enjoy your trip

We lived in Hilton Head for years, and Savannah was where we did “big shopping”. It was trash then, but awesome now! The historic district is somewhere I’d go to just for fun and great food. The veal chop at Garibaldi’s is worth the trip! 

The flounder was a close second.....I made the mistake of going to their menu. 

The Pink House has some CRAZY good Mac & Cheese jalapeño poppers! OK, now I’m hungry! 

It was odd, but I went into Garibaldi’s and sat at the bar having a drink while looking at the menu. One of the guys on my right has this amazing veal chop, more than he can eat. Asks for an extra plate and cuts off a meal for me. I’m full, they leave....then the two ladies on my left get their meals. The lady closest to me asks for a plate, and gives me one of the two best flounder dishes I’ve ever had. 

What a night.....

A buddy just flew through Hong Kong. I draw a HARD line on anything like that. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

If you are healthy then go. The other caveat would be if you will be visiting high risk people either where you are going or when you return and potentially exposing them to the virus.
i will be flying to BUF to visit family in a couple of weeks. Still planning on doing that as I fit the healthy criteria. I was bummed that a conference I planned to attend in Rome in May was canceled. I understand why but was looking forward to it. 
Flight costs are very reasonable right now so may look to book something to a spot where Covid cases have yet to be identified...perhaps somewhere In South America.

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

I’d go. Bring some alcohol wipes, wash your hands often, try not to touch your face, etc. Those precautions are standard procedure for my wife and me whenever we travel, but now I might be a little more serious about it. 

LoL... What'd you mean?   You were picking your nose last trip, weren't you!  ?

Oh, I'd cancel... It's Florida.  With somebody from Illinois saying that, it's gotta be bad! ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I live down here in the Orlando area, and as of now its business as usual around here....your chances of catching Coronavirus here are probably the same low chance as you have of catching it in Buffalo or anywhere else, as long as you follow the safety protocols we've all heard about.

This weekend we have bike week in Daytona Beach, a woman's soccer tourney in Orlando, and the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill.

The local news has covered all of the safety measures the theme parks, hotels, malls, and the airport have taken to keep people safe.

I will say that several conventions have been cancelled over the last few days, but reports are that family travel to the area has not declined so far.

Honestly, I would be most concerned about the plane ride part, but I always worry about getting sick on a plane, anyway.

Just returned from FL. Flew from Ft Myers to Atlanta. Atlanta to Buffalo. 
* Do you have a compromised immune system (on chemo)?

* Do you have a serious heart condition?

* Do you have an underlying respiratory illness (COPD, etc)?

* Are you an infant under 1 yr old?

We’re all going to get it eventually, and we’ll be just fine. Those who have died were primarily 80+ years old and had the above conditions (except for the infant...that wouldn’t apply to the 80 yr old would it?)

9 hours ago, Augie said:

It was odd, but I went into Garibaldi’s and sat at the bar having a drink while looking at the menu. One of the guys on my right has this amazing veal chop, more than he can eat. Asks for an extra plate and cuts off a meal for me. I’m full, they leave....then the two ladies on my left get their meals. The lady closest to me asks for a plate, and gives me one of the two best flounder dishes I’ve ever had. 

• Haha (+1) 1

The only way I would cancel any travel is fear of getting stuck somewhere. Someone mentioned Italy. I would not cancel out of fear of getting the virus, but fear that a quarantine from that region could prevent me getting home. 

no fear of that really anywhere in this hemisphere yet AFAIK. 

Cruise would be tough, think I would cancel that if I could. We have a family friend that is taking like a 30 day cruise over in APAC, and basically only getting in to 25% of the ports that were planned. Lots of ship time is not what he planned on.  

Trip of a lifetime for this older gent, but nothing can be done. 

My neighbors are going today!  They cancelled their flight and will drive.  The Mrs. has an elderly father and she's afraid of picking "something up" from the plane.  I guess I get that but I'd go and probably fly too.  A flight too Florida from here is only about 2 hrs from here, depending on where you're going.  Not like they're going to Singapore!