New NFL substance policy: no more testing for pot

6 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

No more testing for pot but they'll be tested once a year? hmm

i believe they were always tested the same day every year before as well. it was like july 10th or something and they knew the day every year so you could just stop smoking for a couple weeks and you're fine. and some guys still got caught. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

So no weed suspensions.  HMmmmm I could have swore somebody here said that

You also said that they would still be tested for it, because something about old school owners or something....

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You also said that they would still be tested for it, because something about old school owners or something....

And the fact sheet at the time still included testing during that initial window. Now it doesn’t. 

OK. So not suspending a player for ganja is now acceptable. Got it, I'm not crying in my milk.

Unpopular opinion alert: the combine should test for stoners. If you're a club, knowing the recreational drug use of your prospects is legit concern.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, boater said:

OK. So not suspending a player for ganja is now acceptable. Got it, I'm not crying in my milk.

Unpopular opinion alert: the combine should test for stoners. If you're a club, knowing the recreational drug use of your prospects is legit concern.

With as much research and digging team scouts do, I'm sure they know or at least have a pretty good idea which guys use. 

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I have never smoked pot in my entire life.

That said, this decision is long overdue and great news.  I am all for it.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that you at least inhaled second hand pot smoke at some point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And the fact sheet at the time still included testing during that initial window. Now it doesn’t. 

Provide the proof of this "new" provision.

AFAIK, there were modest changes to the original conditions, but there will still be drug-related suspensions for repeat violators or who willfully disregard the program or violate the law.

6 minutes ago, GG said:

Provide the proof of this "new" provision.

AFAIK, there were modest changes to the original conditions, but there will still be drug-related suspensions for repeat violators or who willfully disregard the program or violate the law.

Proof is widely reported today

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

But what about "THE CONSERVATIVE OWNERSHIP GROUP"?

guess they compromised. Interesting that occurs in a CBA Negotiation 

1 hour ago, boater said:

No, no it isn’t.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

very easy. Also there is this thing called Google you will see the Widely Reported. 

Conveniently ignoring the suspension language that's in the articles that you linked.   if there are no more suspensions, then why does the 2020 policy have a section that spells out suspensions?   The won't be suspended for positive tests,  But they will be suspended for willful violations and non-compliance if they are in stage two of the league's substance abuse program.

Failure to Cooperate with Testing or Clinical Care

1st Violation: 1-week’s salary
2nd Violation: 2-weeks’ salary
3rd Violation: 3-weeks’ salary
4th Violation: 3-game suspension
5th Violation: 4-game suspension
6th Violation: 8-game suspension

7th Violation: banishment for an indefinite period of at least one calendar year

Look at this, there are still suspensions for alcohol.  Shocking

The Commissioner will review and may impose a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline if a Player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law (including within the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement including but not limited to nolo contendere) relating to the use of alcohol.

But please tell us all you know about this topic.

Edited by GG