New NFL substance policy: no more testing for pot

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I cited the only study.  It’s 10 years old, I get that.  But players who smoke saying, essentially, every player smokes Isn’t convincing.  There’s a bit of bias in that sample don’t you suspect?  Why would they say anything else if they want to be seen as the norm? 

mine is just an opinion.  I don’t believe 90% of Bills players fir example, are smoking weed regularly.  

The owners had all the opportunity in the world to stop testing at any time, yet they refused to.  I assumed they didn’t want to...because there is no other conclusion you can come to.  I was wrong.  They were saving it to bait the players into agreeing to the CBA including a 17th game..

Do you really believe any player can know the habits of 100% of his colleagues in the rest of the league so he can conclude that 90% are smoking weed? 

No, that’s why it’s called an estimate.  And since he’s been in the league long enough, played for multiple teams, he’s probably had several hundred teammates in that time. It’s almost like you’re saying you can’t estimate anything unless you 100% of the data.

It is estimated that 74% of Americans drink alcohol.  But we can’t use that stat because not all 3 hundred million people were asked?

Bennett has been in the league long enough to know the trends.  Is it spot on accurate?  Maybe, maybe not.  But he’s got a better idea than we do.  

I played college ball....I would say 70% of my teammates smoked and that was 20 years ago in small town Alabama.

I would say 90% of the guys in my sport now smoke.  I don’t know everyone who trains but I’ve trained at several schools and know a lot of people....it’s extremely common.  

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You’re right.  You can’t get weed in the states where it’s not legal.

yeah you said that already. Besides, what do you know about buying legal weed? You live in a red neck state.

Go legal, you'll never go back.

But really, neither of us know if it will impact things or not. I suspect yes, you, no.  Cool.

Carry on.

Smoke 'em it you got 'em. :).

Edited by reddogblitz

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No, that’s why it’s called an estimate.  And since he’s been in the league long enough, played for multiple teams, he’s probably had several hundred teammates in that time. It’s almost like you’re saying you can’t estimate anything unless you 100% of the data.

It is estimated that 74% of Americans drink alcohol.  But we can’t use that stat because not all 3 hundred million people were asked?

Bennett has been in the league long enough to know the trends.  Is it spot on accurate?  Maybe, maybe not.  But he’s got a better idea than we do.  

I played college ball....I would say 70% of my teammates smoked and that was 20 years ago in small town Alabama.

I would say 90% of the guys in my sport now smoke.  I don’t know everyone who trains but I’ve trained at several schools and know a lot of people....it’s extremely common.  

Do you think that, to arrive at such a number, they went into a bar at happy hour and asked the patrons who were drinking what % of Americans drink?  Or maybe they went to a liquor store and asked those people?  No, of course they didn't...because that would lead to no valid estimate.

There are innumerable surveys looking into the general population and almost any ethnic subgroup in their use of alcohol (or drugs). 

Here's just one: https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/alcohol-facts-and-statistics (55.3% reported alcohol use "in the past month")

So it would surprise you top learn that when real statistics are needed, they don't just ask around to a few guys to get their estimates.  Pretty wild, right?

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Do you think that, to arrive at such a number, they went into a bar at happy hour and asked the patrons who were drinking what % of Americans drink?  Or maybe they went to a liquor store and asked those people?  No, of course they didn't...because that would lead to no valid estimate.

There are innumerable surveys looking into the general population and almost any ethnic subgroup in their use of alcohol (or drugs). 

Here's just one: https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/alcohol-facts-and-statistics (55.3% reported alcohol use "in the past month")

So it would surprise you top learn that when real statistics are needed, they don't just ask around to a few guys to get their estimates.  Pretty wild, right?

Bennetts estimate is also on a significantly smaller scale.  You’re taking this way too literal because you just don’t want to believe him....and others.  

You’ve got this mindset that the NFL players who are in the scene and talk about the prevalence of marijuana use doesn’t help my argument, but you who have never been in that scene or know anything about it....but you’re right and they’re wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Bennetts estimate is also on a significantly smaller scale.  You’re taking this way too literal because you just don’t want to believe him....and others.  

You’ve got this mindset that the NFL players who are in the scene and talk about the prevalence of marijuana use doesn’t help my argument, but you who have never been in that scene or know anything about it....but you’re right and they’re wrong.

Look everyone knows that lots of guys smoke.  Who cares?  They do, for sure, as they are likely to agree to what never before would have been agreed to...in order to smoke at will.  That was the initial point of this.

But to insist that the opinion of any player ("89%") based on what he "figures" is not how it's done.  We can agree lots of guys do.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Look everyone knows that lots of guys smoke.  Who cares?  They do, for sure, as they are likely to agree to what never before would have been agreed to...in order to smoke at will.  That was the initial point of this.

But to insist that the opinion of any player ("89%") based on what he "figures" is not how it's done.  We can agree lots of guys do.

The reason I believe he’s in the ballpark (not saying 100% accurate) is because other NFL players have commented on it and I’ve seen it at the college level.  I hung out with other athletes in college....soccer, basketball, golf, baseball etc...

Almost all did it.  I think it would be naive for me to think that others collegiate athletes aren’t doing it and the ones who go pro all of a sudden stop?  It’s wealthy 20’s year olds....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The reason I believe he’s in the ballpark (not saying 100% accurate) is because other NFL players have commented on it and I’ve seen it at the college level.  I hung out with other athletes in college....soccer, basketball, golf, baseball etc...

Almost all did it.  I think it would be naive for me to think that others collegiate athletes aren’t doing it and the ones who go pro all of a sudden stop?  It’s wealthy 20’s year olds....

Majority of NFL players smoke pot

College too as u said

On 3/6/2020 at 10:07 AM, Teddy KGB said:

It makes sense to pass on excellent players like Randy Moss, Ricky Williams , Warren Sapp, Von Miller etc because everyone smokes pot. ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2016/09/18/i-played-stoned-some-nfl-players-love-getting-high-before-kickoff/amp/

OK, you mentioned the star players. Well done.

How about all the fringe players not playing up to their potential because they are stoning and not in best physical shape, or not studying tape like they ought to.

28 minutes ago, boater said:

How about all the fringe players not playing up to their potential because they are stoning and not in best physical shape, or not studying tape like they ought to.

That’s on them for being a lazy stoner as opposed to a lift weights and run the stairs stoner.   

Everyone is accountable for their decisions. I don’t think marijuana causes as much harm as you think it does.   

Look at Joe Rogan for example.  The guy is 52 always baked and could kick the crap out of this whole site.   

Edited by Teddy KGB

22 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

That’s on them for being a lazy stoner as opposed to a lift weights and run the stairs stoner.   

Everyone is accountable for their decisions. I don’t think marijuana causes as much harm as you think it does.   

Look at Joe Rogan for example.  The guy is 52 always baked and could kick the crap out of this whole site.   

Rogan is a black belt in BJJ...he’s a total badass.

The Diaz brothers compete in the UFC, triathlons and Iron Mans.

Its not the weed, it’s the person.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Rogan is a black belt in BJJ...he’s a total badass.

The Diaz brothers compete in the UFC, triathlons and Iron Mans.

Its not the weed, it’s the person.

I know.    I’m still hooping at 41 weighing 235 and can play all day after a toke or two with 6’5 monsters half my age.   

I could never do half the stuff Rogan does.    Running those hills and miles on end 

Edited by Teddy KGB