New NFL substance policy: no more testing for pot

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Employers need to find employees. As Kirby mentioned, the NFL wants guys on the field. Other employers in society face the same issue. They need to keep productive workers, not fire them because they smoked weed last weekend. That’s why I believe this will change in many areas. It’s all a matter of opinion, some people will always fear the guy who tested positive. God forbid he has job, that could go to someone’s drunken uncle who spends his day at work hungover after his evening at the country club. It’s really a matter of societal norms changing, and I believe they will. I’m not looking at this as a pro weed issue, I’m just looking from a practical prospective, knowing what I know about many people under the age of forty. 

You said every employer will drop testing.  That's not going to happen.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

You said every employer will drop testing.  That's not going to happen.

No they won’t, many driving career never will, but please tell me what jobs are testing on a regular basis? I don’t know of any non driving jobs that do tbh. 

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Didn’t the extra game check also appeal a great deal to the lower earning players though? I think it’s a bit hyperbolic to say they scammed them with just the pot testing. 

The leaguer floated extra games a few years ago and it was shouted down out of hand by the union.

But yes, this (extra game money) is a boon for the majority of players.  But they weren't thinking that a few years ago.  So the NFL persuaded them by playing like "no testing" was a MAJOR concession that they agreed to.  

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

No they won’t, many driving career never will, but please tell me what jobs are testing on a regular basis? I don’t know of any non driving jobs that do tbh. 

Lots of construction fields test as well.  The airline industry.  The medical field can.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

Using drugs is no big deal - I never thought I'd see the day.  

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

And adding to that makes it better?  Wake up.

Ok boomer.

We'll just be over here enjoying not being miserable and seeing how CBD treats our incurable conditions.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

It was a gift the league gave themselves.  They knew how much this one pretty insignificant issue meant to the players so they made it seem like it was an iron-clad nonstarter--especially given the suspensions handed out the last few years leading up to this CBA negotiation.  They wanted to appear as unmovable on this topic.

Then, in order to get what they really wanted all along (another regular season game), they put "no testing" in play.....and the union jumped and swallowed it hook, line and sinker.  

Once again, the league can't believe how easy it was too get the union to give in to another game.  They set this up perfectly.  

If you look back over the last 3 years you’ll see me saying that’s EXACTLY what was going to happen. (pats self on back)

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Bills players?  Or fans?

These TBD fools

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Raise your hand if you’ve been saying that this would happen for years

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5a2f3c3aa3ef679826

It was obvious enough, but I thought it might be less clear as to what happened. Maybe a number of blurry issues? All blended together? It feels to me like it’s more directly related to that one extra game. Simplicity, to some extent. 

That, and the immediate raise for league minimum. That goes to the majority of the voter base and levels the playing field. Balance will be the new emphasis going forward, I believe. 

With pot becoming legal in more and more states, I'm not surprised.

But let me be the scorned minority and say I'm not a fan of the NFL's new tolerance.  While marijuana is good for pain management, it comes with a lot of health concerns.  I don't think athletes should use it though I grant they're adults and can make their own informed choices. 

My concern is more about the kids they influence.  I wouldn't mind the NFL getting tougher on off-the-field behavior rather than softer.  Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right.  Because of the influence celebrity athletes have on kids, I think the NFL should have a demanding code of conduct that they enforce.  

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You also said that they would still be tested for it, because something about old school owners or something....

You also said owners would never budge on this....well they did.

18 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

But let me be the scorned minority and say I'm not a fan of the NFL's new tolerance.  While marijuana is good for pain management, it comes with a lot of health concerns.  I don't think athletes should use it though I grant they're adults and can make their own informed choices. 

My concern is more about the kids they influence.  I wouldn't mind the NFL getting tougher on off-the-field behavior rather than softer.  Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right.  Because of the influence celebrity athletes have on kids, I think the NFL should have a demanding code of conduct that they enforce.  

It's not going to influence kids.  They are going to be around it all the time just like when alcohol is.  They either choose to do it or not.

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you look back over the last 3 years you’ll see me saying that’s EXACTLY what was going to happen. (pats self on back)

I've been saying it too....it was inevitable.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I get your point, but the truth is very few people completely abstain from all substances. I’m an advocate for clean living as I think it’s best for mind, body, and soul.  I’m not opposed to the occasional drink, but it’s not like I encourage drug use. It’s just reasonable logic to me that the league lifts this prohibition. I’ve seen the damages caused by alcoholism, and it’s as ugly as anything. In a league that promotes alcohol, the demonization of weed seems irrational. This is a larger cultural/societal issue, but it’s tough for me to watch the Chiefs chugging beer at their victory parade, only to see guys suspending for getting high off the job. 

Lots of non driving careers are doing away with these policies though, simply because the  need to be able to find employees. No one ever tested the alcoholic who came to work hungover every day. The world moved along just fine. Employers are starting to wise up, and get over irrational fears. 

I appreciate your thoughts but at the same time I don't understand them.  Alcohol can certainly be destructive as it appears you've seen those effects.  I am also against any form of glamorizing it. 

So your answer is to allow something else that can be equally as destructive allowed to protect the notion it's demonized over alcohol?

That's not the answer, IMO.  It should be to promote doing less of both. We'd be a better people for it individually and personally.

9 hours ago, H2o said:

And then if testing positive you will only incur fines, no suspensions. The fine amount depends on which stage you are in as well. The most hefty will be 3 game checks. 

The players need to re-think this. Basically as the fines increase they end up playing games for free. How is that a win for the players in any aspect?

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You also said owners would never budge on this....well they did.

It's not going to influence kids.  They are going to be around it all the time just like when alcohol is.  They either choose to do it or not.

I've been saying it too....it was inevitable.  

I said a lot of owners would assume their players would be high on Sunday and thus not at full capacity.

But it is obvious that they planted the extra game at the time they were really cracking down on use.  This was all a setup, it turns out. They traded nothing for something.

59 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Few of these guys are suing weed for pain management.....

40 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You specifically said they wouldn’t “budge”

Thats exactly what they did....just like I told you.

Yes I did say that.

Instead they did a "watch this.....".  They were using it as an ace.  It had nothing to do with states legalizing it, or liberalizing the league or any of that.  They were sandbagging the whole time, as it turns out.

Bravisimo, Terry, Jerry, et al.

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes I did say that.

Instead they did a "watch this.....".  They were using it as an ace.  It had nothing to do with states legalizing it, or liberalizing the league or any of that.  They were sandbagging the whole time, as it turns out.

Bravisimo, Terry, Jerry, et al.

I think it's simply the owners were tired of losing their players to suspensions and the players were tired of getting suspended.  

It's getting more and more accepted.  The owners know they are doing it anyway....now this keeps them on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it's simply the owners were tired of losing their players to suspensions and the players were tired of getting suspended.  

It's getting more and more accepted.  The owners know they are doing it anyway....now this keeps them on the field.

The owners could have made this decision befire this CBA reaches its end.  Instead they held on to it because they understood its wildly disproportionate value to the union.  

it’s likely there will be 17 games because a percentage of players like to get high in season.  

18 hours ago, boater said:

OK. So not suspending a player for ganja is now acceptable. Got it, I'm not crying in my milk.

Unpopular opinion alert: the combine should test for stoners. If you're a club, knowing the recreational drug use of your prospects is legit concern.

It makes sense to pass on excellent players like Randy Moss, Ricky Williams , Warren Sapp, Von Miller etc because everyone smokes pot. ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2016/09/18/i-played-stoned-some-nfl-players-love-getting-high-before-kickoff/amp/

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 3