Will Cody Ford Be Our Starting RT Next Year?

Will Cody Ford Be Our Starting RT Next Year?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cody Ford Be Our Starting RT Next Year?

• Yes. He was struggling because of injury.
    • No. He needs to be bumped into guard.
    • Depends on how the draft shakes out.
    • Unsure.

Like others have said, draft and FA will really make this determination.

BUT...if you ask me my opinion today...then no, I do not think he will be our starting RT next year.  I feel like he can be a better player at guard and I have a feeling the staff knows that too otherwise they would have said he is a tackle instead of saying they still haven't decided yet.  So IMO, we will bring in someone for that spot and slide Ford inside where he has the potential to be very good.  

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I think the ability to conflate is a bad habit and it's what people do to deflect particularly when a decision is critically reviewed. 

And if it's absolved that the team trades up into the top half of the 2nd round for a player (non-QB) at a position that he doesn't win in camp that's concerning. 

Most NFL RT's need help in pass pro, so I'm not going to say he's gotta be a lock-down option on par with Orlando Pace in his prime.

Still, the main issue isn't Ford, it's the personnel group who had a 1st round grade on him and moved up.  Buffalo isn't in the position to take trade up for guards right now and you can find guards on the UFA market that can play.  Positional value and where this team is in the rebuild mean using higher picks on more premium positions.  And guard isn't one of them. 

Maybe I'm dopey, but I was curious how you came to the conclusion that Risner,  Taylor and Ramczyk played well out the gate compared to Ford. Again, did you watch them like I assume you watched Ford? I didn't catch your answer. Wasn't being a smart ass. Really curious. I doubt you watched them as much or with as critical of an eye to Ford to compare our pick to theirs.

Conflate?

Deflect?

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If the Bills thought he would be a better guard from day 1 they wouldn't have stunted his development putting him at T

The want him developing at T and G is plan B

...if I remember correctly, he was a tackle in college and thrust into a guard role at OBD......is that such an easy transition in one year as many presuppose?...........

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if I remember correctly, he was a tackle in college and thrust into a guard role at OBD......is that such an easy transition in one year as many presuppose?...........

For some guys yes and some guys no

Cody played Guard for 2 years at Oklahoma as well and I watched his snaps from all his years and he definitely was a better tackle than Guard

It's a hard transition from College to the NFL on the line.. I think you need more than 16 games for development

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Cody played Guard for 2 years at Oklahoma as well and I watched his snaps from all his years and he definitely was a better tackle than Guard

It's a hard transition from College to the NFL on the line.. I think you need more than 16 games for development

...unfortunately, that is the definition of a "career" for some TBD pundits.......

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Maybe I'm dopey, but I was curious how you came to the conclusion that Risner,  Taylor and Ramczyk played well out the gate compared to Ford. Again, did you watch them like I assume you watched Ford? I didn't catch your answer. Wasn't being a smart ass. Really curious. I doubt you watched them as much or with as critical of an eye to Ford to compare our pick to theirs.

Conflate?

Deflect?

Im not positive, but I believe Risner played G as a rookie.

I think they go with Ford and Ty at RT. O-line players have growing pains in the more modern NFL And I think that McBeane drafted Ford to be the RT and they likely feel that at worst Ty could step in and Ford could kick into guard. But I think that they are much more likely to give Cody one more year to see if he can be a RT. 

I think that they resign Spain and roll with the same O-line. O-line play improves with consistency and playing together. I think that McBeane will likely feel that Ford will improve at RT and the rest of the O-line play will improve after playing with each other in year two. They also still roll deep with Ty, Long, Bates, and possilby Waddle or a late round pick. I for once don't think the O-line has any major issues if Spain is resigned. 

Now don't get me wrong I am never opposed to upgrading the O-line and I think that if this team wants to invest a high pick or sign a upper tier free agent along the O-line I am never going to call it a bad move. But for once the O-line is actually pretty good and has solid depth. If they do want to upgrade I would kick Ford to LG and then sign a RT, but I think if they retain Spain and roll with what's there that is a decent plan. 

5 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Im not positive, but I believe Risner played G as a rookie.

Risner all-rookie team as G (where he was projected—no “wishing and hoping and thinking and praying”—

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0a3000001083965/article/2019-nfl-allrookie-team-offense-josh-jacobs-oroy-favorite%3FnetworkId%3D4595%26site%3D.news%26zone%3Dstory%26zoneUrl%3Durl%3Dstory%26zoneKeys%3Ds1%3Dstory%26env%3D%26pageKeyValues%3Dprtnr%3Dposition-power-rankings%26p.ct%3DPosition%2BPower%2BRankings%26p.adsm%3Dfalse%26p.tcm%3D%23000%26p.bgc1m%3D%23EAEAEA%26sr%3Damp

Risner went from C to starting RT at K-State and then to LG for Denver during OTAs where he never looked back—he was one of just 10 rookies in the league to start all 16 games, and he tallied the eighth most snaps of any rookie last season).  Made seamless transition to G at pro level (where he should be close to all-pro level plug and play for a long time ((and he has the ability to swing to T when needed)) to back up for Ty.

But, as I’ve said before, I was excited when we got Ford was just nervous about us declaring him as RT (FO has a lot riding on Ford making it as RT) but last off-season I was all in on ”the process”—and the regular season reaffirmed my faith after decades of crossing my fingers and holding my breath—just anxious about some of the FO decisions: leaving Peterman as our safety net for Josh), later on discovering the shortcomings of the smurfs, and not turning the reigns over to Gore late in the season—but there is always going to be 20/20 hindsight/nitpicking—let’s see what McBeane does this off-season with lots of cap space—FA (setting up long term deals to retain young nucleus while supplementing with short term cap friendly win now additions, the draft and the development of Allen ((Daboll ?), Oliver, as well as Ford and Knox, and Singletary’s usage.  

Thanks for letting me share (bored—post-hospital release for back ?).  

Edited by biggerdaddynj

16 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I know a lot of fans were upset with him and some folks say he should be bumped into guard but at the end of the day he was playing with a torn rotator cuff. Could this be the reason why he struggled at times? He seemed to get push in the run game and has freakish brute strength. He may not be as long as you want but he could improve with another year in the system. Are we giving up on him too early?

he definitely cost us the playoff game, JJ Watt abused him all day. 

I think my answer would be "Yes. He was a rookie and can improve big time."

But we'll see.

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The one or two plays that Watt made did not decide the game. And for goodness sake, an all pro defensive end against a rookie 2nd rounder... of course he couldn't contain him the whole game.

• Like (+1) 2

Typical of SM & BB they aren’t moving him until they have the guy in place, and then the guy earns it, so it depends on not only the draft, but what may happen in FA, jmo.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The same could be said about passes not caught, that would have won the game. Those cost us the game as well.  Just sayin, 

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You are spot on.  I have never understood the mentality that a player does not improve.  Over the course of the year he did and expect the leap from year 1 to 2 be the largest.

That said, if the Bills find a better RT then move him to G.  Until that happens, he is the RT.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Typical of SM & BB they aren’t moving him until they have the guy in place, and then the guy earns it, so it depends on not only the draft, but what may happen in FA, jmo.

The same could be said about passes not caught, that would have won the game. Those cost us the game as well.  Just sayin, 

Or a missed block by a TE on a qb sweep to the right in OT. Ford is fine at RT. If they find a FA who's better, great.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2020 at 9:12 AM, Captain Murica said:

Injury or not, he still had issues with speed off the edge. 

Exactly, of course he will get better and with more experience he can overcome that. But I think he will play guard and will be back up Tackle. 

9 hours ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Risner all-rookie team as G (where he was projected—no “wishing and hoping and thinking and praying”—

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0a3000001083965/article/2019-nfl-allrookie-team-offense-josh-jacobs-oroy-favorite%3FnetworkId%3D4595%26site%3D.news%26zone%3Dstory%26zoneUrl%3Durl%3Dstory%26zoneKeys%3Ds1%3Dstory%26env%3D%26pageKeyValues%3Dprtnr%3Dposition-power-rankings%26p.ct%3DPosition%2BPower%2BRankings%26p.adsm%3Dfalse%26p.tcm%3D%23000%26p.bgc1m%3D%23EAEAEA%26sr%3Damp

Risner went from C to starting RT at K-State and then to LG for Denver during OTAs where he never looked back—he was one of just 10 rookies in the league to start all 16 games, and he tallied the eighth most snaps of any rookie last season).  Made seamless transition to G at pro level (where he should be close to all-pro level plug and play for a long time ((and he has the ability to swing to T when needed)) to back up for Ty.

But, as I’ve said before, I was excited when we got Ford was just nervous about us declaring him as RT (FO has a lot riding on Ford making it as RT) but last off-season I was all in on ”the process”—and the regular season reaffirmed my faith after decades of crossing my fingers and holding my breath—just anxious about some of the FO decisions: leaving Peterman as our safety net for Josh), later on discovering the shortcomings of the smurfs, and not turning the reigns over to Gore late in the season—but there is always going to be 20/20 hindsight/nitpicking—let’s see what McBeane does this off-season with lots of cap space—FA (setting up long term deals to retain young nucleus while supplementing with short term cap friendly win now additions, the draft and the development of Allen ((Daboll ?), Oliver, as well as Ford and Knox, and Singletary’s usage.  

Thanks for letting me share (bored—post-hospital release for back ?).  

...speedy recovery bud...……..:thumbsup:

I don't think even Beane and McDermott know the answer to that yet.  I think McDermott believes Ford and do it and will probably be significantly better than he was as a rookie.  One factor, as your third option suggests, is the draft, but there could be some other factors that we don't know about.