Will Cody Ford Be Our Starting RT Next Year?

Will Cody Ford Be Our Starting RT Next Year?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cody Ford Be Our Starting RT Next Year?

• Yes. He was struggling because of injury.
    • No. He needs to be bumped into guard.
    • Depends on how the draft shakes out.
    • Unsure.

Given that MOST rookie tackles have uneven rookie seasons, I can't help but wonder:

If a "true tackle" had been drafted and had exactly the same season Cody Ford just had, would everyone be saying "bump him inside to guard", too? Or would they say "he was a rookie, he'll get better, give him some time"?

It seems like the majority of armchair experts have decided that Ford can't/won't improve, and therefore has to change positions. Again, would they reach this same conclusion for more of a "true tackle" prospect? It's just weird to me that so many people are already so sure that he just CAN'T play tackle, despite having stretches during the season where he performed quite well there.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

We have two above average OL in Dawkins and Morse.  

I think our FO wants a guarantee of three, and if that improvement is available at G, Ford showed enough as a rookie to warrant another year at RT.  

Cody was also projected to be a stud G, so if that improvement is found at RT, by all means, kick him inside.  

All in all, whoever they bring in on the OL, it will be looking pretty good if our two weakest links are Feliciano and Ford, both who flashed a lot of ability last year.  

• Like (+1) 2

He'll be a good RT.  

He'll be a perennial Pro Bowl Guard.  

I don't know why the Bills fight it.  It's ok to be a great guard.  It's ok to draft a great guard in the second round.  

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

We have two above average OL in Dawkins and Morse.  
I think our FO wants a guarantee of three, and if that improvement is available at G, Ford showed enough as a rookie to warrant another year at RT.  

Cody was also projected to be a stud G, so if that improvement is found at RT, by all means, kick him inside.  
All in all, whoever they bring in on the OL, it will be looking pretty good if our two weakest links are Feliciano and Ford, both who flashed a lot of ability last year.  

I think this is probably a good assessment.  Especially if they liked what they saw out of Waddle and keep him so that they have both Waddle and Nsekhe as a back-up plan at RT, the Bills want an upgrade somewhere - and they feel they can be flexable about whether the upgrade is OG or OT because of Ford's potential at either.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Jason Peters is hitting the open market if you wanted a 38 year old who is still playing at a high level

A better option at RT RN.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Given that MOST rookie tackles have uneven rookie seasons, I can't help but wonder:

If a "true tackle" had been drafted and had exactly the same season Cody Ford just had, would everyone be saying "bump him inside to guard", too? Or would they say "he was a rookie, he'll get better, give him some time"?

It seems like the majority of armchair experts have decided that Ford can't/won't improve, and therefore has to change positions. Again, would they reach this same conclusion for more of a "true tackle" prospect? It's just weird to me that so many people are already so sure that he just CAN'T play tackle, despite having stretches during the season where he performed quite well there.

Who is saying that most rookie tackles uneven seasons?  There are plenty of guys who come in and play decent or better ball from the start, especially those picked near where Ford was.  New Orleans' Ryan Ramczyk has played well out of the gate, as has Jawaan Taylor in Jacksonville and Dalton Risner in Denver last year.  Those last 2 guys were picked just before and after Ford last year.

I have reservations about how well this team prioritizes offense, their skill at identifying starters on that side of the ball, and then how they use their talent.  It's pretty concerning they traded up for a guy who did not have the lateral movement skills in his rookie year to work on the right side.  They don't get a pass because he kicks inside...that wasn't the idea behind trading up to 38.

Edited by BillsVet

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not uncommon for players to take a step between their rookie and second seasons.

Ford had his issues.  He also played well at times.  He's got an edge, and I like that.

It puzzles me that people seem, overall, willing to overlook or excuse Knox's horrid "dropsies" last year on the thought he's a rookie, he showed flashes of spectacular play, he'll improve.  But overall people aren't willing to give Ford (who also showed flashes of strong play) the same rookie benefit of doubt.

Agree Ford needs chance to pan out but comparing expectations with Knox to those with Ford isn’t “apples to apples”—with Ford there were much higher expectations—we traded back into the top of the 2nd rd to take a player most projected as a G who we declared as RT (so the FO has a lot riding on Ford making it as RT) when Risner was still there.  And, people said Ford was a great deal where we got him—so he was supposed to be instant starter quality (just most said at G).

Totally different situation than taking the last TE they projected with athleticism before they said there was about to be a big drop off in talent and they did so using a second 3rd pick (obtained with extra draft capital we could spare—with all those FA signings not a lot of open spots).  

And, I was happy Ford was there and we moved up—so I’m not revising my opinion—and I trusted their judgment/logic with the Knox pick.  I hope BOTH players develop!!  

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not uncommon for players to take a step between their rookie and second seasons.

Ford had his issues.  He also played well at times.  He's got an edge, and I like that.

It puzzles me that people seem, overall, willing to overlook or excuse Knox's horrid "dropsies" last year on the thought he's a rookie, he showed flashes of spectacular play, he'll improve.  But overall people aren't willing to give Ford (who also showed flashes of strong play) the same rookie benefit of doubt.

If the Bills thought he would be a better guard from day 1 they wouldn't have stunted his development putting him at T

The want him developing at T and G is plan B

Edited by Buffalo716

31 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

A better option at RT RN.

Who is saying that most rookie tackles uneven seasons?  There are plenty of guys who come in and play decent or better ball from the start, especially those picked near where Ford was.  New Orleans' Ryan Ramczyk has played well out of the gate, as has Jawaan Taylor in Jacksonville and Dalton Risner in Denver last year.  Those last 2 guys were picked just before and after Ford last year.

I have reservations about how well this team prioritizes offense, their skill at identifying starters on that side of the ball, and then how they use their talent.  It's pretty concerning they traded up for a guy who did not have the lateral movement skills in his rookie year to work on the right side.  They don't get a pass because he kicks inside...that wasn't the idea behind trading up to 38.

Is this based on reports you read or are you actually as invested in watching them like Ford? As a Bills fan it's easier to see Ford's mistakes vs. watching highlight film of players on other teams. Pretty sure if any of those 3 you mentioned were on our roster, we could point out issues that need to be worked on. IMO, Ford did well for a rookie. When a team scores a little as we did, it's easy to criticize mistakes because they stand out more, as each play and point we get is more crucial then, say KC.

If he were to work out and excel at guard, they wouldn't need a pass from you or any of us. We're just fans.

12 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Is this based on reports you read or are you actually as invested in watching them like Ford? As a Bills fan it's easier to see Ford's mistakes vs. watching highlight film of players on other teams. Pretty sure if any of those 3 you mentioned were on our roster, we could point out issues that need to be worked on. IMO, Ford did well for a rookie. When a team scores a little as we did, it's easy to criticize mistakes because they stand out more, as each play and point we get is more crucial then, say KC.

If he were to work out and excel at guard, they wouldn't need a pass from you or any of us. We're just fans.

I think the ability to conflate is a bad habit and it's what people do to deflect particularly when a decision is critically reviewed. 

And if it's absolved that the team trades up into the top half of the 2nd round for a player (non-QB) at a position that he doesn't win in camp that's concerning. 

Most NFL RT's need help in pass pro, so I'm not going to say he's gotta be a lock-down option on par with Orlando Pace in his prime.

Still, the main issue isn't Ford, it's the personnel group who had a 1st round grade on him and moved up.  Buffalo isn't in the position to take trade up for guards right now and you can find guards on the UFA market that can play.  Positional value and where this team is in the rebuild mean using higher picks on more premium positions.  And guard isn't one of them. 

Yes

He got better as the year went on. 

If they let Spain walk, I can see them moving Ford to LG.  It really depends on what happens with Spain and free agency.  I favor putting the best 5 guys out there and don't care if Ford is at guard or RT.  Best five with Spain is Ford at RT.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well said, sir. Knox dropped some gimmies too, and a few of them were in crucial situations or would've resulted in a big gain or an important first down. (He dropped a TD pass as well, right? I think they scored on that drive anyway, but still). Most people see that and say, "Eh, he'll come around, he's a rookie, still adjusting." From early last season the view on Ford was mainly, "Good gravy what the hell are they doing with him at right tackle?! This is an atrocity! I want changes, dapgummit!" and the "Move him to guard" campaign was led by Joe B all frickin' season. 

Given a full off-season to get right physically, plus his year of experience, I expect McDermott will give him every chance to win the right tackle spot. At best he's the guy at that spot, at worst, he's probably a really well-rounded guard, so it's not like it's a huge deal if he doesn't end up at the spot they drafted him for. 

In addition to his injuries, I wonder how the every other series thing affected him. Most players like to get into a groove, I wonder if more time on the sideline between series' messes with that. I suppose that could mess with the opponent as well. An edge rusher might be thinking, "OK, it's Ford this series, which means I can run moves A, B, and C." And then next series he might be like, "Now it's Nsekhe and he totally shut down move B so I got A and C that I can try against him." 

The correct answer is we need to see how the draft shakes out. If we go get a tackle early, then that tells us what their plans are for Ford. If we don't add a starting caliber tackle in FA or the draft, then they see Ford as a tackle.