Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Confirmed COVID19 cases:

Worldwide- 1,422,000

US-  394k

Spain - 141k

Italy- 136k

France- 109k

Germany- 107k

New cases in the last 24 hours:

US - 26,778

France- 11,059

Germany- 4,083

Spain- 3,942

Big spike in deaths today. Over 1800 today (up from 1200 yesterday). Highest single day total yet. ?

We also surpassed the death total total from the 2009 H1N1 swine flu pandemic (12,500 deaths from April 2009 to April 2010). 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What has to be understood, is that the people doing the modeling are asked to consider a number of different inputs and assumptions.

They make their models accordingly, stating the assumptions that go into each model clearly.

Then leaders and politicians choose which model they wish to publicize, but don't always state the assumptions upon which the model is based, clearly.

So, for example, if the model publicized assumes a 50% reduction in transmission due to social distancing, but people take it so seriously that we actually achieve a 75% reduction in transmission due to social distancing, the model is seen as "wrong" - but there is probably a model out there which started with different assumptions, and would match what actually happened much better.

It’s my understanding that an aggregate of several models is considered by most states but that the Feds reference the IHME at the University of Washington model most often. There are dozens of modelers providing forecasts. 

11 hours ago, John in Jax said:

Yes, agreed. That’s why I said “some semblance “ of normal, vs the complete shutdown we have now, which is ruining many, many lives. And the longer the shutdown goes on, the more lives will be ruined (economically, emotionally, & physically).

Agreed. Companies can open up work, do briefing of requirements with new rules to work and violation consequences as they do other issues (gifts to public officials, timekeeping policies, etc). screen workers before entering and ensure workers report non-compliance for safety of everyone.  

My agency is closed telling us to work from home but security people are using same arbitrary rules as they did before 90% of people worked from home while building is almost empty.  Why should someone who has own office be restricted to going to office and work as long as they understand basic rules?

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'd like to think the next time this happens we'll operate under worst case scenarios initially. But its always a political/economic question more than it is a death count question.

There is already a pitchfork-weilding legion that thinks the models were terrible and the modelers should have their heads on spikes. 

As if being wrong on the high side in this kind of situation that has been horrible is a bad thing. 

I think we are in decent shape in wny.  Things were shut down on the 22nd.  We are + 2 weeks out and things are fairly under control as of now.  Not sure if we are going to experience a raging fire of cases such as parts of italy, new Orleans, nyc, etc... 

Still got a long way to go, but I think the fact that we share a state with nyc and Cuomo shut us down early in the progression is huge.  Plus not a huge centralized city proper population

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Agreed. Companies can open up work, do briefing of requirements with new rules to work and violation consequences as they do other issues (gifts to public officials, timekeeping policies, etc). screen workers before entering and ensure workers report non-compliance for safety of everyone.  

My agency is closed telling us to work from home but security people are using same arbitrary rules as they did before 90% of people worked from home while building is almost empty.  Why should someone who has own office be restricted to going to office and work as long as they understand basic rules?

My personal opinion is that we need to look to the example of some of the countries that have had success with containment.  They have high personal mask-wearing and they screen frequently for fever at workplaces, entrances to stores etc.

I think we need to take to universal mask-wearing until there is enough serology data to sort out exactly how much of the population was infected and what kind of symptoms they had.  The masks probably have to be masks with a bit of function - a sewn mask with some kind of filter material, a medical mask, not just a bandana tied over the face. 

We need to have some kind of contact tracing using cell phone data set up, plus teams of on the ground trackers.  Unemployed servers from restaurants could perhaps be trained for this - they usually have good people-skills and good memories.

And we need to have our s*** together as far as testing.  Anyone with a fever gets tested with 1-day turn around and anyone they've had contact with gets traced and tested.

I think large public gatherings and bars/restaurants are going to have to wait a bit, but overall (with the above caveats) I think by the end of the month/mid May IF we have our act together a lot of businesses can resume.

EDIT: I'm going to put this video in the Facts thread but I'll put it here too.  This is why we need people to MASK if they're together indoors, in spaces where windows can not be opened.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I think we are in decent shape in wny.  Things were shut down on the 22nd.  We are + 2 weeks out and things are fairly under control as of now.  Not sure if we are going to experience a raging fire of cases such as parts of italy, new Orleans, nyc, etc... 

Still got a long way to go, but I think the fact that we share a state with nyc and Cuomo shut us down early in the progression is huge.  Plus not a huge centralized city proper population

You may be right but the death count nationwide may be 100% more today than yesterday when you wake up tomorrow. It will be over 2000 for sure but it's not clear what the total will be. After a few days of level death counts, that leveling is getting blown out of the water with today's data. I'll post the charts in the morning but it's going to be a tough one, and if Italy is any indication, the death toll, once it levels, stays level for 2-3 weeks. The warnings of a tough week ahead were right on target. Seeing rises in MA and GA (two of the last states to shut down so they will surge later) and also MI. 

Lesser surges everywhere else and NYS had a record day in deaths too. 

To give an indication, as I type, we are at 1942 deaths for the day. Here is the historic count through yesterday:

image.thumb.png.76133b23ab832431e4d0298e8ae1c048.png

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My personal opinion is that we need to look to the example of some of the countries that have had success with containment.  They have high personal mask-wearing and they screen frequently for fever at workplaces, entrances to stores etc.

I think we need to take to universal mask-wearing until there is enough serology data to sort out exactly how much of the population was infected and what kind of symptoms they had.  The masks probably have to be masks with a bit of function - a sewn mask with some kind of filter material, a medical mask, not just a bandana tied over the face. 

We need to have some kind of contact tracing using cell phone data set up, plus teams of on the ground trackers.  Unemployed servers from restaurants could perhaps be trained for this - they usually have good people-skills and good memories.

And we need to have our s*** together as far as testing.  Anyone with a fever gets tested with 1-day turn around and anyone they've had contact with gets traced and tested.

I think large public gatherings and bars/restaurants are going to have to wait a bit, but overall (with the above caveats) I think by the end of the month/mid May IF we have our act together a lot of businesses can resume.

What we've done to our healthcare workers cannot happen twice. And what we are doing to all the other patients who cannot get the normal care they need also can't happen twice. People need to STFU and accept tracking until we are clear of this, and we need a national plan. That is the ONLY way this doesn't happen again, and worse the next time. 

Edited by Sundancer

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can we get one of these in Bills using a fishing hat with Bills logo?

https://www.amazon.com/MANIFO-Bucket-Full-face-Protective-Fisherman/dp/B0869FC6Y7/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=face+shield+hat+men&qid=1586306193&sr=8-4

This was sent me for my wife but she has no interest.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=face+shield+hat+women&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

4 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

What we've done to our healthcare workers cannot happen twice. And what we are doing to all the other patients who cannot get the normal care they need also can't happen twice. People need to STFU and accept tracking until we are clear of this, and we need a national plan. That is the ONLY way this doesn't happen again, and worse the next time. 

If they try to force tracking people will just leave phones home (I do not know what they people who cannot not look at it when crossing street will do).

Remember to wipe public phone if you can find them.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if I understand correctly, it should NOT be flourishing in Brazil which is in their summer season..........

Understand from who? There's not been evidence that it will even though politicians have said they believe it will.

Where there are lots of bodies and bad healthcare, this thing will catch fire. Think: India. 

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If they try to force tracking people will just leave phones home 

^^^--Things that will never happen, or at least not happen on a scale large enough to create a problem. People would rather have Big Brother in their pocket than give up their phones, even the most Libertarian among us. 

Edited by Sundancer

3 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

^^^--Things that will never happen, or at least not happen on a scale large enough to create a problem. People would rather have Big Brother in their pocket than give up their phones, even the most Libertarian among us. 

I leave my phone at home a lot. Only reason I used to bring it was my boss lives in PA (he used to commute to northern VA every day) and I could not make long distance calls at work.

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

I think Buffalo, Rochester etc. show the difference between locking down promptly and delaying.

That said, per the NYT article Buffalo is still steady on the "cases doubling every 4 days" line.  Need a few more days to tell if the curve has rounded out.
Deaths are still OK, meaning medical care still good and it hasn't swept through any nursing homes like a scythe yet.

Rochester curve has rounded out to a lower rate of "cases doubling every 6 days" which is great but probably not enough to avoid overloading hospitals eventually.

image.thumb.png.9570101cd9c6b1250e6131054d4d0261.pngimage.thumb.png.319fbcba2167ef79ae129d2b13e57b74.png

• Like (+1) 1

if you want some humor I read this comic every Tuesday (free online comic).

http://www.puckcomics.com/

One of the bonus (non-serial) pages is a bit risque covid humor.  Please do not edit URL and repost per mod direction.

Remove spaces; trying to prevent spiders from including it in searches.

https: //i.i bb . co / XZYHNcx / Phoebe.png

Oh for your information the writer/artist is a Hamilton, Ontario school teacher.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

It’s uncanny how these accounts from medical personnel around the world have sounded the same since the first reports leaked out of China. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2020/04/04/donald-trump-cant-bully-nfl-starting-season-before-safe-coronavirus/2948895001/

“As long as we're still in a place where when a single individual tests positive for the virus that you have to quarantine every single person who was in contact with them in any shape, form or fashion, then I don't think you can begin to think about reopening a team sport," Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL’s chief medical officer, told NFL.com’s Judy Battista on Thursday.

"Because we're going to have positive cases for a very long time."

9 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Quoted from the story above: 
“I ran a floor of COVID-19 positive patients with severe symptoms. Our team used the combo of hydroxychloroquine with azithromycin and it seemed to help! Of the patients that I treated for these four days who where acutely ill — all ages and health conditions — most (loosely defined and footnoted) seemed to improve and were able to be discharged home. I can say that I transferred no one to the ICU but I sent many people home.“

So yet ANOTHER testimonial for hydroxychloroquine! That’s good news. I’m glad that doctors are using it, and didn’t listen to idiotic talking heads on TV who were badmouthing it for days on end.

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I leave my phone at home a lot. Only reason I used to bring it was my boss lives in PA (he used to commute to northern VA every day) and I could not make long distance calls at work.

WTF is a long distance call? 

1 hour ago, John in Jax said:

Quoted from the story above: 
“I ran a floor of COVID-19 positive patients with severe symptoms. Our team used the combo of hydroxychloroquine with azithromycin and it seemed to help! Of the patients that I treated for these four days who where acutely ill — all ages and health conditions — most (loosely defined and footnoted) seemed to improve and were able to be discharged home. I can say that I transferred no one to the ICU but I sent many people home.“

So yet ANOTHER testimonial for hydroxychloroquine! That’s good news. I’m glad that doctors are using it, and didn’t listen to idiotic talking heads on TV who were badmouthing it for days on end.

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

WTF is a long distance call? 

LOL So not sure why some of y’all in here are going to great lengths to try and shoot down this drug (I have an idea though), but since I have been locked up at home, I have watched (& read online) a LOT of coverage about this matter, and the overwhelming “anecdotal” evidence is that it is helping WAY more people than hurting them. In fact, I haven’t seen ANY reports of it actually hurting somebody....of someone having a serious side effect. If you’re in a bad situation because you’ve contracted the virus, and the choice is between taking this drug to see if it helps you OR not taking it, the answer seems to be very clear. But yeah, don’t eat fish tank cleaner, and of course consult with you doctor before taking it.