Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

9 minutes ago, Brit said:

Who knows when the US will start levelling. With Florida and other states only now just starting to put in measures there may be some weeks ahead before any kind of slow down on a national level kicks in. 

For sure. The US will spike in geographies from the cites outwards, not likely at once as a country, which may create a longer period of leveling once we get there. 

But our spread and lifestyles (driving culture...living in houses and not high rises--both true even for most city folk outside NYC) may make our situation not as bleak as we are seeing in some of Europe. I note the interesting test case in Sweden, which in many ways is a lot more like the majority of the US geographically and even in cities, in terms of lifestyle, and is currently open for socially distant business. What's happening there may change but it may serve as a realistic beacon for how to exit the quarantines eventually. 

Places like India, I weep for in advance. I really worry about my friends there.

Here are the UK and Spain deaths...UK numbers are not level yet but Spain maybe is.

image.thumb.png.e1d2579c93326b6e00eb93030a1518a6.png

image.thumb.png.593862b7737a486ae90b2748997242e8.png

Edited by Sundancer

4 minutes ago, Brit said:

Who knows when the US will start levelling. With Florida and other states only now just starting to put in measures there may be some weeks ahead before any kind of slow down on a national level kicks in. 

Us in Florida are just now going to experience what the Spring Breakers did when they came down, not to mention the days after when those people who came in contact with Spring Breakers spreading that. Our spike should start this week...

Edited by Hardhatharry

1 hour ago, Hardhatharry said:

Us in Florida are just now going to experience what the Spring Breakers did when they came down, not to mention the days after when those people who came in contact with Spring Breakers spreading that. Our spike should start this week...

Your governor and the MA governor are morons but that's now in the past, and this is why we need a national plan moving out of this with testing and human movement tracking. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALF said:

In rural America, cops are delivering groceries to vulnerable residents

New York (CNN Business)Major Bobby Reed of the Bourbon County, Kansas, sheriff's department had an idea when he saw that some stores were offering special hours just for elderly customers during the coronavirus crisis: He would start making grocery and prescription deliveries for at-risk residents himself.

"These people don't need to get out. They're in a vulnerable age group," the 10-year veteran of the department thought. So he posted on Facebook that he'd volunteer to deliver to elderly residents, shoppers with disabilities and veterans. His rural county, located five miles east of the Missouri border, has about 14,000 residents.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/business/grocery-delivery-coronavirus-police-sheriffs-office/index.html

We have that in our area.  An informal network of people who will shop for anyone >65 and vulnerable.

27 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Your governor and the MA governor are morons, and this is why we needed a national plan moving out of this with testing and human movement tracking. 

The stupid burns on a local level as well.  We have a nice little epidemic blooming here in MO and in the two next larger cities. 

The neighboring counties N and S are NOT shut down.  Naturally people who just can't make it another day without a new pair of Gap jeans or new carpet, are just crossing the river to shop.

Much of rural Missouri literally has third-world level healthcare. 

City and county leaders are BEGGING the governor to shut down the state before the disease makes it out of the cities to the more rural areas, which it most certainly will if it hasn't already. 

*crickets*

We badly need a uniform national standard shutdown, NOW.  I'm afraid all this piecemeal crap is just prolonging the pain.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-agent-says-both-his-parents-died-6-minutes-apart-because-of-covid-19-001926732.html

NFL agent Buddy Baker announced on Tuesday that both of his parents died on Sunday after contracting COVID-19.

He said in a video announcing the news that they died six minutes apart.

In loving memory of my mom and dad- please make the tough and right choice and help stop the spreading of this virus. pic.twitter.com/FqVEWjdscq

— Buddy Baker (@ESG_Baker) March 31, 2020

“As many of you know my parents recently contracted COVID-19 and unfortunately passed away this past Sunday due to complications,” Baker said. “My parents were amazing people.

“They were married 51-plus years, and they passed away six minutes apart. Just a few weeks ago, they were in perfect health.”

Baker urges awareness

Baker then urged the importance of taking preventative measures to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

“I’d like to take this time to make people start thinking about making a change,” Baker continued. “While the CDC and all the regulatory bodies make suggestions about what we should do, I’m not sure everyone understands the importance of it.

“Practice social distancing. Wash your hands as regularly as you can. And importantly, stay at home.”

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We badly need a uniform national standard shutdown, NOW.  I'm afraid all this piecemeal crap is just prolonging the pain.

I am not even sure it needs to be identical for all 50 states but it needs to be organized nationally so we don’t have idiots making self serving political decisions. 

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We are a couple months into this thing and a haven’t had any semblance of a national plan to this point. To have a national plan requires national planners. I suspect a national plan is not forthcoming any time soon. 

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

said it before...anybody quarantined at home with kids now aint making another....maybe a first one...

My son, Two Dogs F ing, will get a kick out of this. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We are a couple months into this thing and a haven’t had any semblance of a national plan to this point. To have a national plan requires national planners. I suspect a national plan is not forthcoming any time soon. 

I believe it's coming. The admin has maintained the opinion that maintaining strict adherence to the (long-ignored) 10th Amendment is the way to go, but coming out of this, ONLY a national plan will work since we have proven that the state and local approach to quarantining is/was a clusterF. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

?‍♂️ (if true)

Forbes isn’t exactly a tabloid rag. Given what we know about the lack of cohesive planning across all levels, is there ANY reason to doubt the veracity of this report? Of course not. This is why the DPA is so critical during a time of national crisis. And that’s why it was particularly distressing to read the news article this morning that the DPA has been used ROUTINELY in the last three years. Over a thousand times in order to procure vital equipment.

If the health of the public and those who provide the critical care for it is NOT a first line of defense, then nothing is. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Forbes isn’t exactly a tabloid rag. Given what we know about the lack of cohesive planning across all levels, is there ANY reason to doubt the veracity of this report? Of course not. This is why the DPA is so critical during a time of national crisis. And that’s why it was particularly distressing to read the news article this morning that the DPA has been used ROUTINELY in the last three years. Over a thousand times in order to procure vital equipment.

If the health of the public and those who provide the critical care for it is NOT a first line of defense, then nothing is. 

• Sad 2