Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

Nothing surprising here but I’m glad to see more and more people mentioning tracking as one of the prerequisites to reopening the economy. Still haven’t seen this come up from the administration, or an actual plan to do the tracking, but only with a national effort can it work. 

It could be a month before the other 4 factors are ready, if our healthcare system can keep up and not get swamped in April. 

“When we see a state or region have numbers that go down over time, and when we have diagnostics in place, and when we have masks available for all of our doctors and nurses who are putting their lives at risk to take care of sick patients, and hospitals are well-prepared, and when we can get our public health systems in place to start tracing or identifying individuals and start tracing their contacts, again like they do in Asia --- I think those five major conditions --- then I think it’s a time to begin to think about how we might experiment with lightening social distancing, perhaps one step at a time.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/johns-hopkins-doctor-identifies-5-key-factors-for-relaxing-social-distancing

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

Really, really bad idea by a company that calls itself ImageNet.  I'm sure that this will be quickly walked back.

https://www.thelostogle.com/2020/03/29/imagenet-consulating-stimulus-payment/

Tough place we're in.  NHS, Great Britain's primary healthcare provider, tells physicians that ICU beds should be reserved for those "reasonably certain" to survive.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1262062/London-Coronavirus-Intensive-care-limited-beds-spaces-NHS-elderly-latest-news-UK-updates

Edited by Cripple Creek

Keeping this going. I agree that the "case count" is still dubious. I know someone who got CV-19 in the NYC area. Everyone is fine but only one member of the house got tested, and the other 3 did not, so the 3 don't show up in the statistics. This is happening all over and it is warping a lot of statistics (cases and contagiousness may be higher, fatality and hospitalization is definitely lower than can be known based on just tested cases). 

Nevertheless, Italy's deaths continue to appear to be leveling and so do its diagnosed cases. 

ITALY

image.thumb.png.544a9f4cf4841709bdea088c7beccbcf.png

image.thumb.png.ce224c767db96ed03c90c7f9b755d1cb.png

In the US, here are the numbers...no sign of any leveling in deaths yet (the death numbers don't include yesterday because apparently the reporting out of NYS was incomplete--not a knock just what they noted in the data). 

image.thumb.png.189f95b3916bd84ac4aee487e3e94407.png

image.thumb.png.cccc700c277a564ba32199d0d7c6fe4c.png

Adding Spain to the watchlist for comparison:

image.thumb.png.293bf34e09da2b5fb1860153d2cb08bc.png

image.thumb.png.3944708b5d75f1ccef07d205041e2708.png

Edited by Sundancer

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One Funny Mother - "I made pudding" ??

Funny video! ?

Quick story somewhat related to this video:

I have a friend who tells me how safe he’s being. He thinks he’s being extremely cautious (his wife is in the high risk group). 

But then he’s inviting me over for a card party. He says they are keeping it to 10 people as recommended. And he says everyone will wear gloves to be extra safe.

Before he went to this card party, he had just picked up his sister from the airport the day before. She was flying back from their mother’s house in Florida, where she was taking their mother to many different doctors appointments after her recent hospital stay (where she was also visiting) and doing all the shopping/running.

He himself has also been out at different local stores + places in the area basically every day since this started.

That’s not mentioning all the things the other 8 people at that card party may have done to put themselves at risk that I don’t know about (they seem to be taking it about as “serious” as he is)

I tried to explain to him why I wouldn’t be coming and why this card party was risky but he didn’t seem to get it (or didn’t believe me). He still doesn’t understand why I won’t stop by and play.... ??‍♂️

13 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Funny video! ?

I have a friend who tells me how safe he’s being. He thinks he’s being extremely cautious (his wife is in the high risk group). 

But then he’s inviting me over for a card party. He says they are keeping it to 10 people as recommended. And he says everyone will wear gloves to be extra safe.

Before he went to this card party, he had just picked up his sister from the airport the day before. She was flying back from their mother’s house in Florida, where she was taking their mother to many different doctors appointments after her recent hospital stay (where she was also visiting) and doing all the shopping/running.

He himself has also been out at different local stores + places in the area basically every day since this started.

That’s not mentioning all the things the other 8 people at that card party may have done to put themselves at risk that I don’t know about (they seem to be taking it about as “serious” as he is)

I tried to explain to him why I wouldn’t be coming and why this card party was risky but he didn’t seem to get it (or didn’t believe me). He still doesn’t understand why I won’t stop by and play.... ??‍♂️

So one of my daughter's besties mom (that's convoluted I know, but there's a parents' Facebook group for her college) and I have become friendly.  She is near Atlanta, where there is a significant outbreak.

She tells me her across the street neighbor, who is pres. of the Homeowners Association, is posting HEARTBREAKING Facebook posts about mom who can't visit preemie infant in hospital, doctors holding up hands to kid through glass etc etc - so Stay Home.

Meanwhile she texts me photos of that same neighbor's kids and neighborhood kids all playing in front yard, playing in bounce house, etc etc.

I guess it must be human nature to perceive unsafe behavior as something OTHER PEOPLE do

• Like (+1) 2

I wonder if this is true... @Hapless Bills Fan

Our son claims that wearing gloves, latex gloves could "spread" the virus around more.  That normal, religious hand washing is better.

Everything I have read points to: viable virus doesn't last long on hands.  Of course don't go mining your nose, touching your face, etc... It kinda makes sense that an impermeable glove would "push it around"... Of course gloves are important as PPE with all kinds of other pathogens... But with COVID-19??  BUT, I feel the glove can be removed properly, inside out, hand to hand and "corral" any virus, right?

What's your take?  Myth or fact? We are at odds on this one!

Oh... JUST like the raging debate:

Nancy-Boy glove wearing Qbs vs. Non-glove wearing "tough guy" quarterbacks! ?

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I wonder if this is true... @Hapless Bills Fan

Our son claims that wearing gloves, latex gloves could "spread" the virus around more.  That normal, religious hand washing is better.

Everything I have read points to: viable virus doesn't last long on hands.  Of course don't go mining your nose, touching your face, etc... It kinda makes sense that an impermeable glove would "push it around"... Of course gloves are important as PPE with all kinds of other pathogens... But with COVID-19??  BUT, I feel the glove can be removed properly, inside out, hand to hand and "corral" any virus, right?

What's your take?  Myth or fact? We are at odds on this one!

Oh... JUST like the raging debate:

Nancy-Boy glove wearing Qbs vs. Non-glove wearing "tough guy" quarterbacks! ?

Its possible the negatives out weigh the positives IMO. The chance of cross contamination during removal  vs just washing your hands thoroughly after exposure makes your sons argument a good one. Of course small cuts. or abrasions on the other hand are also something to take into consideration.

The N 95 mask to me is a no brainer in my humble opinion. Every household in the US should have a supply.

Common sense would tell you stopping the problem at its source results in less masks and ventilators needed in the hospitals.

Essential workers need them. We all need them.

Protect the air you breath my Bills brothas and sisters. Its the only way we can stop this virus in its tracks.

Edited by Figster
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Funny video! ?

My 92 year old mother lives in a high rise retirement place with a bunch of people just like her. Playing cards once or twice a day was part of the daily routine. Now, she can’t figure out how to properly operate her phone, but they DID figure out sitting around a small table with different people and passing those cards cards around was a bad idea. That ended 2-3 weeks ago.  

• Like (+1) 1