Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Wife gave me a brush cut. Love it!!!

My dad took me to Sam the barber (who I suspect was also a bookie) when I was young. We spent WAY too much time there watching bowling on Saturday afternoons.  Not highly entertaining for a 7 year old. I never got the brush cut, because he gave me the far more stylish Princeton (a/k/a fancy name for a brush cut). But you are a man of the people. I’m sure it works for you! 

I seriously am considering a butcher job of a cleanup tomorrow. No brush cuts....

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Just wondering where people are getting this "seasonal" stuff from.  I've heard it mentioned a couple times on this board.

Well, first of all, there's nothing solid about it.

In USA, it was stated at high levels and without evidence that the virus was "just like flu".  Seasonal influenza dies away in warm weather in temperate climates (interestingly, it surges during monsoon season in the tropics, go figgur).  So the hope emerged that covid-19 might behave like seasonal flu and die off in warm weather.

https://time.com/5790880/coronavirus-warm-weather-summer/

There are two problems with this idea:

1) pandemic flu doesn't necessarily behave like seasonal flu and die off above 86 F - it may spread more slowly, but if there's enough of it around, it still spreads

2) some of the conclusions in the above link are based on reported cases - but many tropical and sub-tropical countries have very limited testing capability thus their cases may not reflect what's really going on

Even if covid-19 does turn out to decrease with warm weather as flu and colds do, it might behave similarly to flu and return with cold weather.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

My dad took me to Sam the barber (who I suspect was also a bookie) when I was young. We spent WAY too much time there watching bowling on Saturday afternoons.  Not highly entertaining for a 7 year old. I never got the brush cut, because he gave me the far more stylish Princeton (a/k/a fancy name for a brush cut). But you are a man of the people. I’m sure it works for you! 

I seriously am considering a butcher job of a cleanup tomorrow. No brush cuts....

My father always said it grows in much thicker when you get a brush cut (had one from 7th grade through college)....so when I look at Michael Bolton, I’d say “yeah”. Lol

25 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Oh.  My.  God.  That's only one little beach in Ft Lauderdale.

Really makes my point, though, that Florida's governor can tell incoming NYers to quarantine, sure, but he's already got covid-19 infections propegating through community transmission in his state due to Spring Break visitors flooding in late Feb-3rd week of March, from many locations in which covid-19 was already spreading.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Sundancer said:

[Edit: took this advice and re-titled Discussion thread.  Didn't pin though; figured if folks wanna talk, it will keep it at the top]

It doesn’t much matter. The other thread is a discussion thread now too. I was just trying to follow the original spirit of the thing. 

17 hours ago, Augie said:

Raise your hand it you wish you’d have gotten a haircut before going into lockdown! 

no way. Corona hair is real. 

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Great vid. But oh white folk dancing sure can hurt!

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I would say this is likely. The Chinese ignored the early stages of the outbreak and millions passed through the area before the lockdown. I imagine deaths and cases are both higher, although with their lockdown it is possible that the numbers of new cases are now very low.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

I used to get the Princeton haircut too!  It was all the rage in the 60's!   Here's a step by step to help you out!

https://www.miladypro.com/home/b/barbering/archive/2016/01/20/step-by-step-the-low-maintenance-princeton-haircut

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, first of all, there's nothing solid about it.

In USA, it was stated at high levels and without evidence that the virus was "just like flu".  Seasonal influenza dies away in warm weather in temperate climates (interestingly, it surges during monsoon season in the tropics, go figgur).  So the hope emerged that covid-19 might behave like seasonal flu and die off in warm weather.

https://time.com/5790880/coronavirus-warm-weather-summer/

There are two problems with this idea:

1) pandemic flu doesn't necessarily behave like seasonal flu and die off above 86 F - it may spread more slowly, but if there's enough of it around, it still spreads

2) some of the conclusions in the above link are based on reported cases - but many tropical and sub-tropical countries have very limited testing capability thus their cases may not reflect what's really going on

Even if covid-19 does turn out to decrease with warm weather as flu and colds do, it might behave similarly to flu and return with cold weather.

Could the "seasonality" be due to vitamin D levels...former CDC chief postulates it may be.  It's not the temperature, it's exposure to sunlight.  Is he crazy?  Oh and yes, the link is FOX news, it doesn't reflect my political leanings.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/former-cdc-chief-tom-frieden-coronavirus-risk-may-be-reduced-with-vitamin-d

15 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Could the "seasonality" be due to vitamin D levels...former CDC chief postulates it may be.  It's not the temperature, it's exposure to sunlight.  Is he crazy?  Oh and yes, the link is FOX news, it doesn't reflect my political leanings.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/former-cdc-chief-tom-frieden-coronavirus-risk-may-be-reduced-with-vitamin-d

Spring breakers wouldn't have spread the virus everywhere then.

U.S. Northern Command has dispersed essential command and control teams to multiple hardened locations, including the famous Cheyenne Mountain bunker complex in Colorado, as well as another unspecified site, and is keeping them in isolation. 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32777/covid-19-drives-command-teams-charged-with-homeland-defense-into-cheyenne-mountain-bunker

exponential growth...

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Sad 1